Author Topic: Convince me to buy a DS.  (Read 12278 times)

c14dude

Re: Convince me to buy a DS.
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 05:06:49 pm »
i forgot about that one. yeah i guess you could say it makes the DS worth buying. hopefully some amazing stuff will come out on it later, and lets also hope spore on ds is true

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 05:15:28 pm »
Yeah, it does seem like the DS is not what I thought it was. It's a good portable system, that's undeniable. But it seems like it's just like any other system, but mobile, and graphically scaled down. That does not make it worth it. And 9 games is definitely a good value! I only have 7 games for my Gamecube and I would be hard pressed to say something bad about it. But of those 9, I can play something like 5 of them on another system. MP:H, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, and AS:DS are either in a PC genre, or are exactly like a Gamecube game.

It seems like it's not worth it. Maybe I'll get a couple more Gamecube games, or really start digging around for good PC games instead. Thanks for the help, guys!

c14dude

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 05:20:32 pm »
wait for Just Cause on the pc, its going to be amazing

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 05:29:24 pm »
I havn't heard of that one. What is it like?

c14dude

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 05:33:53 pm »
its a GTA type game cause its free form but is massive. way more terrain then anyone of the gta games and most MMO games.
you have a grappling hook and you can jump on top of cars and all this great stuff, just look it up on google

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 05:39:07 pm »
Will do.

EDIT: Actually, that looks REALLY cool. I might have to play that one.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:42:19 pm by Bub978 »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 10:39:17 pm »
The GBA games don't make use of the Duel screen although you can set which screen the picture appear on I choose the bottom as a preference the battery seems to last for ever wit GBA game as only one screen is used and possibly the games arent anywhere as taxing on the system. Even is you pick up one or 2 DS games for now grab a couple of GBA games get Mario and Luigi super star saga. I have been searching everywhere for that game but it seems they stopped shipping that game to australia looks like I will have to import or something. There are plenty of other games but I'm sure Steve himself will tell you go and get Super star saga now!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2006, 12:08:06 pm »
Here are some more great games and upcoming games that you can play ONLY on DS:

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Nintendogs
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Meteos
Star Fox DS
Yoshi's Island 2
Final Fantasy III

Honestly, saying the DS is "more of the same" is ridiculous. This thing is completely different.

It sounds like you still don't want a DS though, so I think this topic is over.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2006, 12:40:21 pm »
My advice: If you haven't fallen in love with the idea of having one by now, you probably won't. And if you dont' love it, then you won't much care for it. There's not much gray area.

So based on where you are, don't buy it.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2006, 04:27:22 pm »
I bought one a month ago and it was my first portable console purchased ever.  Up until then I've been a PC and Nintendo Console person.  The idea was myself and my girlfriend were going to share it and take turns using it.  I bought a DS lite  strictly for the the New Super Mario Brothers game.  At $150.00** Canadian it is definitely economical as far as gaming systems go.  Many good games vary between $25 and $50 dollars.  The most expensive game I've bought is 40 bucks.  I enjoyed it so much that instead of sharing it, I ended up buying a second one for my girlfriend to play.  We've played with some of the wireless multiplayer features and it's alot of fun.  Some games only require 1 game cartridge to play multiplayer.  Which is really cool, for example in tetris, you can play with 10 people with 10 DS's and only 1 copy of the game.   WiFi which uses a wireless internet hub is OK.  I've only tried it with tetris but I've heard it's a blast on metriod and Mario kart.  There aren't too many Wi-fi titles (about 7) but there is alot of potential there.   I've had no complaints about the DS lite it's self.  Although only stereo speakers, on the surround sound option, sound really moves around with appropriately programmed games. 

Bottom Line as to why I would recommend the DS LITE:

1. While it seems like a huge chunk of change.  It is quite cheap compared to other gaming tech
2. Games are affordable and there are some good cheaper ones to get you started
3. Diversity in applications and what is available
4. Easy wireless interactivity with other DS users in nearby proximity with NO hub required
5. With Wi-Fi you can play games with people around the world
6. DS Lite sound is good
7. Stylus works great
8. Amazing Battery Life.  I get over 8 hours on the 3rd highest battery setting which is quite good.  And the batteries are a type that don't suffer from memory effect so when you've played it for a few hours, just plug it in and you won't hurt battery life.  When using the wireless features it lasts not as long.  But that hasn't caused me any problems (still get many 4-6 hours) and you can always play while plugged in.
9. Apparently good return policy.  I've heard (confirm this your self) you can return the DS even if there is one broken pixel.  This is more generous than any LCD product I have ever seen.  When I looked into it.  The Nintendo website encourages you to play a few weeks and decide if you can live with it.  And if you can't, you can return it / get it fixed.  (many people have no dead pixels, mine did have one, but I only notice it if the background is pitch black)
9.  If you have GBA games or have interest in playing them, you can play them in single player on the DS.  This is appealing to my girlfriend who has old GBA games.  I don't and will likely be buying only DS games, but it is a bonus for those into GBA and don't want to give it up.

Games I've purchased are all ones I will continue to play for some time:

New Super Mario
Tetris DS
Kirby Canvas Curse
The Sims 2

As cheap as some of these games are, they are even cheaper use on Ebay or bought at a local store such as EBgames.  The system if kept in good condition will likely have good resale value if you decide you don't like it.

The only negative aspect of the system is that the Wi-Fi to play through a network onto the internet can bit a bit finicky with certain routers.  This isn't a problem for people who know how to chage router settings but could be difficult for people who don't.  Nintendo does provide a list of compatible routers and provides tips on how to troubleshoot and setup specific routers.  (For example, I had to assign a static IP to my DS system for it to work properly).  Please note: this does not affect DS wireless functions for systems in close proximity as the systems just setup their own ad-hoc network and do not use your router.

I was quite hesitant to purchase the system.  But good fortune put me in the right financial position to purchase one.  I don't regret it one bit.  The timing is right as the DS lite (don't bother with the older version which is priced the same and not as nice) and new super mario brothers and I recommend that as your initial purchase.  It is also not a bad idea (but not required) to spend the 10 dollars to protect your 150 dollar investment  and buy a screen protector.  Make sure the screens are clean before application and that you don't mix up the top and bottom protectors for the appropriate screen.  (I made both mistakes).   I say go for it, it's worth the risk.  If you don't like it, you could probably resell the system for between 75 and 100 and get half to 75% of your money back.  I had to go to 6 different stores before I could purchase one new because of the demand back in June when the system first came out.)

** .90 American = about 1 dollar Canadian
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 04:31:17 pm by Granite T. Rock »
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2006, 07:15:59 pm »
Wow, I I think I may just be asking for a real, material birthday present from my parents come September.  ;)

It sounds really cool, and from what I have played of The Sims 2, it won't be a bad investment. I'm thinking of getting Brain Age, some of the games mentioned above, and maybe go for some nostalgia by buying Pokemon. I just hope my sister doesn't hog it. :P

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2006, 08:52:53 pm »
Thanks for the write-up, Granite. The thing that excites me the most about the DS is the Wi-Fi connectivity. I don't have a wireless HUB in my apartment, but there's a Starbucks right across the street if I ever wanted to play against someone (and enjoy a coffee). But I shook myself of the doldrums I was in when I was looking to buy one. Windwaker is holding my attention until MP:Echoes gets here, and when I'm done with that I'll probably finish Darwinia, then maybe get The Ship. Indeed, I'll be good for a while.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2006, 08:45:22 am »
Merciful Zeus, Granite -- and I thought my posts were long. Excellent work, my friend. :)

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2006, 04:32:28 pm »
Man, Steve's newest episode tells me just how much I'm lost without him. Had he not been pulled away from podcasting for a while, he would've answered that question about whether or not to buy a DS (from the perspective of a PC Gamer, even!) before I ever made this thread!

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 06:46:10 pm »
The episode before the current one (before the hiatus) he did a short impression on the DS Lite which was a significant influence in me buying the DS in the first place.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)