Author Topic: Convince me to buy a DS.  (Read 12270 times)

c14dude

Re: Convince me to buy a DS.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 01:00:54 am »
How about we don't waste time on trying to convince you and you miss out on some gaming gems? sounds good to me

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 05:23:36 am »
The DS is an ongoing game system, you can't judge it by one or two games. Each game plays differently. I haven't played mine lately either but I don't think it was a bad purchase. Some people play theirs all the time.  It's good for trips or car rides. I'll pick mine up and play a little every once in awhile but I have no regrets about buying it.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 06:33:45 am »
I play my DS on the train all the time although I have been using it to play GBA games mostly recently I may have to pick up the new Mario Bros game or something I personally can't wait for the next Pokemon game Poke Ruby has been getting a good run. If you don't have a GBA it's worth getting some games as you can play them on your DS and alot of them can be picked up real cheap.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 08:18:04 am »
How about we don't waste time on trying to convince you and you miss out on some gaming gems? sounds good to me

How about you quit being a dick and leave the thread? I need to be convinced because I KNOW I'm missing out on gaming gems, I'm in a position where I can buy one, but I'm just not sure if it's worth the money. This is a favor I'm asking for, not a debate. I'd swear at you more for being such an idiot, but it'd just get filtered.

Cobra, AHA! GBA games on the DS, that was something I didn't know, which makes things a whoooole lot better. I've been looking through DS games, just looking at lists, and I'm finding that there aren't as many as I thought, and that there are only a few that, at least by name, caught my attention. I've tried finding reviews of games, and I've found that on websites like Gamespy, they only have 30 or so reviews, and most of them are mediocre.

So GBA games, eh? Are they cheaper? Would they take advantage of the second screen?

And LadyM, that's a good point. I have a Gameboy Color that I shelve for months at a time, then break it out for a couple weeks, then away it goes. But in the short-term, I need something I can dump several hours into at a time to break my boredom of the typical PC genres. I was disappointed to see Metroid Prime: Hunters as a first person shooter. I was hoping there'd be a sidescroller on the DS, but I guess it's gotten so much better that it's catching up to, at least in genre, the larger consoles and PCs....but wasn't there a side-scroller Metroid game for GBA? Fusion? Now that I'd play.

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 10:14:08 am »
What's the battery life like on the DS Light?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 10:14:59 am »
Pretty damn good.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

werechicken

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 12:06:07 pm »

How about you quit being a dick and leave the thread? I need to be convinced because I KNOW I'm missing out on gaming gems, I'm in a position where I can buy one, but I'm just not sure if it's worth the money. This is a favor I'm asking for, not a debate. I'd swear at you more for being such an idiot, but it'd just get filtered.

You might want to take a stress pill, he was just being sarcastic, and the battery lif is alright,it is dependant upon the birghtness you have the screen at. I like to have it on the brigtest setting and it lasts for around 4 hours.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 12:29:12 pm »

You might want to take a stress pill, he was just being sarcastic, and the battery lif is alright,it is dependant upon the birghtness you have the screen at. I like to have it on the brigtest setting and it lasts for around 4 hours.

First of all, if that was sarcasm, then I'm a mongoose. Second, yeah, I over-reacted, but I don't have much tolerance for asshats posting in a thread only to tell me that they don't want to respond to it. It doesn't do anyone any good, and it's pretty annoying.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 12:41:56 pm »
Wikipedia has this to say on the DS lite battery life:

Battery life: 1519 hours on the lowest brightness setting, 58 hours on the highest.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2006, 01:19:40 pm »
Wikipedia has this to say on the DS lite battery life:

Battery life: 1519 hours on the lowest brightness setting, 58 hours on the highest.

It's important to note that the lowest brightness setting is still a bit higher than the DS Phatty's. So yeah, pretty friggin' good.

c14dude

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2006, 02:53:37 pm »
remember your blood pressure kid

and who needs to be convinced, it has castlevania on it, a version thats almost as good as SOTN!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 02:56:33 pm by c14dude »

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2006, 03:30:41 pm »
Everyone here needs to take a step back and relax. I honestly don't know what is with all of the hostility lately, but I think everyone here is getting sick of it.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2006, 04:29:41 pm »
remember your blood pressure kid

and who needs to be convinced, it has castlevania on it, a version thats almost as good as SOTN!

Pilot is right, so I'm going to ignore the "kid" remark, except in commenting that it's both wrong, and probably hypocritical.

I need to be convinced because I am very tentative in tapping into my savings right now. I'm saving up cash during the summer to make sure that I don't starve while I go to college next year. I'll be keeping the job I have, and I already have a good chunk of money stocked up, but it's a situation now where I'm trying to be safe, not sorry. But I havn't really made any major purchase since getting my job a few months ago (and it's my first job that I intend to keep well beyond the summer), and considering the fact that it's only mid-July, I actually have some money to spare. But I don't want to waste it on something I'll end up not using. I have a PC, and for the price of a DS I could buy 3 high-quality PC games. But I'm growing a little bored of the typical PC genres, and I'm having trouble finding games that grab my interest.

I've heard nothing but good things about the DS, and the big seller here is its unique games. My biggest worry is that I'll buy the thing, and end up only play two games for it, and it'll be a huge waste of my precious spending money. Seeing a game like MP:H being played in first person really makes me worry, because I'm trying to escape that genre. The same goes for reccomendations like Mario Kart, which I can play on my Gamecube. I really want things I can't play on any other platform, like the new Mario game. If I buy a DS, that will be the first game I buy. I really need more things like that. Does anyone have any reccomendations along those lines?

c14dude

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2006, 04:50:13 pm »
then i recommend not getting a ds. while it does have about a few good games, i just dont see many great buys on the horizon for it. your better off keeping your pc up to date for awsome games (stalker) coming out for the pc. or saving for a ps3/360 (saints row anyone?) but heres a list of the good ds games (IMO)

Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow
New Super Mario Brothers
Lost Magic
Metroid Prime hunters
Animal crossing (well i kinda, i lost intrest pretty fast though)
Mario Kart
Jump Super Stars (if you import it, cause its not out in the us yet. its exactly like SSB)
Resident Evil
Advance Wars: Dual Strike

yeah thats pretty much it unless i'm forgeting one or two. the rest
of the games on the system are boring puzzle, Filler games that
pretend to make great use of the stylus. and the brain games
get old real fast!

and heres the games too look forward too that are coming out

Contact
Pokemon (if your in to that, i will probably get it)
new Castlevania game. yep thats about it

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006, 05:00:46 pm »
Well, you listed 9 games that you think are good. I'd say that definently makes DS worth its value.

There are some great games coming out this year for DS, but why is still nobody talking about Zelda: Phantom Hourglass? I can't believe nobody else is excited about it!