Author Topic: Convince me to buy a DS.  (Read 12280 times)

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
Convince me to buy a DS.
« on: July 13, 2006, 07:37:52 pm »
I have some money tucked away that I'm a little weary of spending, but I'm kind of running out of things to do on the PC, and I'm running out of good 'Cube games. What's really happening is that I'm getting tired of the genres of games I'm playing, and I need something different. I think I might be able to find something like that on the DS.

But here's the thing: I'm not really sure I want to buy one. I've heard nothing but good things, but it's a good chunk of change I'd be spending. And I don't even know what I'd play! So I would like a few really good arguements as to why I should buy a DS, and why I should buy a Lite instead of the regular one. Also, some examples of great games (focusing on what gameplay is like) would be really great.

Thanks, guys!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Convince me to buy a DS.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 07:43:07 pm »
You can buy the wonderful platformer, New Super Mario Bros. It is as good as any of the old Mario games and has hours of gameplay.

You can also get Animal Crossing which is superb! Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is supposed to be GREAT! Mario Kart is there for you racing fans and you can play people from all over the world.

Pus Final Fantasy III is coming out soon and it promises to be amazing!

Plus the prospect of DS-Wii interactivity!

Plus it is a good solid handheld.

You are getting a DS Lite, right?

werechicken

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 07:46:09 pm »
firstly the DS lite just looks fantastic, also it seems that it's configured much better than the regular DS (having only ever owned a DS lite I wouldn't know first hand)
secondly the games are actually really good, I'd recommend: Trauma center, Meteos and Castlevania dawn of sorrow (all worryingly addictive)
thirdly because I have one, and that should be reason enough!

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 07:47:57 pm »
Wow, great points Pat. I had forgotten about the new Mario platformer, which got me really excited. FF3 would OWN, and I'll definitely be getting a Wii.

What are these games like? I know the obvious ones, like Mario Kart (a game I'd play on the 'cube if I wanted to). But what is Castlevania like?

werechicken

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 07:52:35 pm »
lays like any standard platformer, but you there's a chance you can collect the soul of an enemy you defeat and then you can get some sort of poweruo from that, which you can use at will, you can also get new abilities, like double jump the ability to smash ice blocks using your sytlus and even the ability to turn into a bat, also the plot is great and the actual gameplay and boss battles are solid!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 08:03:56 pm »
I nearly forgot!

If you like Real Time Strategy, Advance Wars Dual Strike is AMAZING.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 08:06:26 pm »
I nearly forgot!

If you like Real Time Strategy, Advance Wars Dual Strike is AMAZING.

Really? How much is it like the older Advance Wars games? I played a...hell, a ROM of one of those, and it was decent. Tell me more!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 08:20:13 pm »
I know what you mean by getting tired of some of the current genres of games.

The great part about the DS is that it's completely new. Many of the games on the DS are unlike any other game you can get out there!

All of the games mentioned so far are great. A few other great games for the system are Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, which is a fantastic Mario RPG, as well as Meteos, which is an incredibly addictive puzzle game that I'm still playing, even a year after its release (And I don't even like puzzle games)

Not to mention some of the great upcoming games for the system, like Yoshi's Island 2, Star Fox DS, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2, and of course, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 08:34:36 pm »
Convince you to buy a DS, eh?
I WILL DO NO SUCH THING

I bought one, I guess I didn't feel like spending money on games after the initial cost of the DS. Animal crossing was good for about 20-25 hours, so I guess it was worth it at about $6.20 an hour. But other than that, you need some good games for it to be worth it.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 09:17:13 pm »
What about WiFi? That seems like it's really cool, but does that cost money per month or anything? How does it work?

werechicken

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 09:22:10 pm »
it's completely free, you have to either be in the proximity of another Ds to play together, or be near a wirelss router and connect to the nintendo game servers

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 09:39:57 pm »
Very cool. Any more ideas for games? What do they usually cost? I've seen a lot for $30. Is that the normal starting price?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 09:51:17 pm »
I WILL DO NO SUCH THING

I bought one, I guess I didn't feel like spending money on games after the initial cost of the DS. Animal crossing was good for about 20-25 hours, so I guess it was worth it at about $6.20 an hour. But other than that, you need some good games for it to be worth it.

You payed $250 for it?
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 10:07:29 pm »
I WILL DO NO SUCH THING

You payed $250 for it?

150 dollars/22 hours= $6.181818181... per hour.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 10:19:57 pm »
You bought a DS and all you have is Animal Crossing? Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but you're missing out on some other really great games.