Author Topic: how much info have u got about the combat?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline whirlyboy

• Galaxian Guru
  • This will make you think.........
    • View Profile
how much info have u got about the combat?
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:33:22 am »
i mean like, i kno about the tanks, but is there other stuff like air strikes and that.

And wot about the bit where Will buys the spears, is that the only weapon??

This is basically a post to write down what you know about the combat in the game.
So go ahead!!!

The bananas in pajamas have come down the stairs. You have been warned.
http://whirlyboy.proboards59.com/index.cgi
My own Spore forum,please visit and join

Offline BeaverBoss

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Beavers do not eat meat.
    • View Profile
Re: how much info have u got about the combat?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 09:41:42 am »
We know nothing. Nothing except you can drop down spears and probably other weapons, and the tanks are mainly a way to communicate.
I don't usually do signatures, but this is an exception.
<-- my blog. Not too fancy, but check it out.

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 10:10:55 am »
Well, we know there are different spears, as another race have tridents.

Erm, that actually may be all i know, ah well, lol.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 10:11:54 am »
Next to nothing so far, but I will definately try to find out more on the combat when I get a chance.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline whirlyboy

• Galaxian Guru
  • This will make you think.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 10:38:28 am »
Cool, come back to this post when you get some stuff.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 10:54:29 am by whirlyboy »
The bananas in pajamas have come down the stairs. You have been warned.
http://whirlyboy.proboards59.com/index.cgi
My own Spore forum,please visit and join

Offline Sporeaholicomg99

• Galaxian Guru
  • u laf cos i different. i laf @ u cos u all da same
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 11:08:39 am »
i thought i heard someone on gamespy or something say that it was like the sims you told  it to attack and it just did it it's not like an rpg inthat way

as to what can attack what i what way the only info we have is the demo so i look forward to what you got steve

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 11:24:48 am »
This is pure speculation, BUT...

You can design you own creatures, you can design your own buildings, you can design your own vehicles.  At higher levels, you can even design your own planets.

Can you design your own weapons?

I hope so.  Surely if the main function of this game is player-content-creation (which it seems to be) you'll be able to.  That would be so cool!

Offline ZerGoth

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • German fanboy ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 11:36:25 am »
I think combat will be very basical; during the tribal phase, you will fight other tribes using primitive weapons. As far as the civ phase is concerned, I overheared that the main interaction between the cities is entirely based on vehicles, no matter if it's cultural, economic, or military interaction.
From the military POV, you probably won't get any further than the basic "attack this" command, maybe there are special abilities for some units, but you shouldn't expect very sophisticated things -  Will wants the game to be easy, so no hard tactics.

Oh and you are supposed to be able to design your own weapons, since everything else is already customisable.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 12:15:08 pm »
Well will said "this is a grasper, it can be used for attack but it's primarily a grasper" when he put his little thing on the end of the Willosaurus's tail. During the video it took about 5 or 6 strikes of the tail to kill one of those little hopping things. Here are a few things I  noticed.

1. The music changed when will began attacking.
2. Sometimes the attack hit, sometimes it missed. While distance seemed to play a role in accuracy, I did see a close-up attack miss and a far away attack land. 
3. Damage appeared to be uniform.
4. Will did not appear to be able to target a specific part on the hopper (like it's head, or leg)
5. On the killing blow, the grasper grabbed the hopper and whiped it around a little

From this I'm going to make some guesses

1. The procedure for walking may change during combat.

2. Reach seems to be taken into account into maximum attack distance. It appeared that the closer the creature is, the more accurate you are. Perhaps the number and type of eyes a creature has may affect it's accuracy rating.

3. It's hard to tell damage from the video. We don't know how many HP the hopper had, we don't know how much damage was done based on the grasper, and we don't know if the game took the Willosaurus's body shape and tail position into account. If it takes both into account, we don't know the ratio. I'm willing to venture a few guesses here. I'm guessing that it is a mix of both the attacking part AND it's position on the body. For example, if the willosaurus had a giant spike on it's tail, rather than a grasper, it would have killed the hopper in fewer hits. Also, if the weapon was just placed on the side of the Willosaurus's body, rather than at the end of a long curved tail, it would have taken signifigantly more hits to kill the hopper (and it would probibly be harder to get into a good attacking position too)

4. The game doesn't seem to track 'weak spots' on a creature, like its head. Likewise it doesn't seem to allow the targeting of specific areas. It would be cool to be able to attack the heads for more damage, or to specifically target and take out the legs to imobilize a creature, but that might be asking a bit much from the engine.

5. This part of the video really caught my interest. The fact that the grasper actually grabbed the creature and flung it around a little is really cool. I wonder if the game would allow you to choose how to attack. For example, rather than just picking at the creature half a dozen times, could the Willosaurus just grab the creature and whip it around agaisnt the ground until it stopped moving?
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Gil

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 12:36:36 pm »
5. This part of the video really caught my interest. The fact that the grasper actually grabbed the creature and flung it around a little is really cool. I wonder if the game would allow you to choose how to attack. For example, rather than just picking at the creature half a dozen times, could the Willosaurus just grab the creature and whip it around agaisnt the ground until it stopped moving?

That would be very cool, a bit like some birds dropping mussels on the street to crack the shell.

Offline Evil Overlord

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Fools,i'll destroy them ALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 07:15:02 pm »
Yeah i'm hoping you can choose what parts to attack sort of like black and white and i hope that if you have a snake like creature or one with tentacles that your creature crushes it's prey,while those with arms would hammer away or grab and throw there prey.

But what if your creature is more powerful naturally than with weapons?
I'll eat your soul

Offline BmB23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 04:58:25 am »
I susect you can... aside from choosing from a list... make stuff like fires or drums or spears in the editor.