Author Topic: City Buildings  (Read 3960 times)

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
City Buildings
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:58:33 pm »
How do you think they will work? Do you think they will just have no purpose? That wouldn't be exciting. They will obviously have a purpose. But what?

In some screens/videos there is like, a logo thing of some gears over one of the buildings, do you think that's because it's being built, or because it's building something, or producing things? That would be cool if like, depending on what properties we gave the buildings, they would do more stuff, and betterly, and I'm not really sure what I'm talking about any more, maybe someone else could help me out.

"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
Re: City Buildings
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 01:01:11 pm »
are you saying that certain parts added in the editor would have certain actions attached to them much in the same way the creature parts work
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline Mjavabean

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
    • Mjavabean's homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 01:02:15 pm »
They will work, probably with cosmetic changes - and a selected theme ETC: housing, entertainment, government, plumbing...

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 01:09:16 pm »
All buildings have different functions, as well as secondary functions most likely, as noted by how when Will Wright is attacked on the Greevil world. Some fire missiles, some fire lasers, some do nothing.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 01:09:39 pm »
are you saying that certain parts added in the editor would have certain actions attached to them much in the same way the creature parts work

Yeah, that's just about what I was trying to say. Thanks.
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Mjavabean

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
    • Mjavabean's homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 01:11:07 pm »
All buildings have different functions, as well as secondary functions most likely, as noted by how when Will Wright is attacked on the Greevil world. Some fire missiles, some fire lasers, some do nothing.

Yes, that is likely - but they could have been part of a drop-down menu with 'defence' on it.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 01:15:17 pm »
It seems more likely that these were secondary functions, as I saw more missiles fired than there were buildings, and one of the lasers came from a building inside of the city. Not to mention that they all looked different. However, I WOULD like to know if there are size limits on cities. And how do you develop your cities? I mean, if your city has a size limit, then this brings an interesting thought. Maybe you are limited to a few buildings and must add on to each one to allow for new changes? Or can you expand further? So far all the cities have been uniform in size and shape.

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 01:17:08 pm »
Yeah, as I said before on some other thread a while back, I would like to take like, a moon of some sort or something, and cover it completely in a city. That would be a great project, and it would take a while.

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 01:21:24 pm »
It WOULD be fun to turn a planet and/or moon into an ecumenopolis

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 01:29:51 pm »
I truly hope we can, so I can build one, and then it will be destroyed in a great war, but then I will be so mad, that I'll just, destroy everything their race has, and every member of their race also. Then I'll be forced to rebuild my ecumenopolis, only more well defended this time. And I'll add a II to its name.

-SpecialBrownies

Offline subpar

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 08:15:42 pm »
what I'm hoping is we can put courtyards or cityparks in. That way, there can be protected farms in case the city is under siege. If I can't create a "donut-shaped" city with farms in the middle I'm going to settle with this design. (If irregular city shapes are possible.)

This leads me to another question, can we buld gates that open or close?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 08:23:46 pm »
woot!!  I wanna make a nursery with nuclear warheads!

I'm hoping for two things here.  One less important than the other.

Less important:  I want instead of choosing a buildings function, I want specific parts to have functions so that I can make whatever building I want simply by choosing the core of the building (such as Machine Shop, Chemical Lab, Gene Lab, Dry Dock, gun turrets) and... as... um... as I think about what I just said it seems an aweful lot like you'd be just choosing the function anyway... since these parts would be shapable just like the rest...  :(   But my point is that I'd like to be able to make buildings that have more than one purpose if they're big enough.

More important:  Subpar has some very good (and much asked) questions.  Can we define our own city walls?  Can we build outside the walls?  Can we have open and closing gates?  I want all three of these things.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 07:17:27 am »
Judging by the editors, we'll be able to design our walls (and the posts that join the sections of the walls), but im more concerned about how so far, the cities have all been the same general shape.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 09:16:14 am »
It could be that the cities only appear rounded in Space. I admit, the one he attacked in the E3 '06 movie was round but that was the only city we got a good look at. Most were rounded but not a perfect circle, which indicates to me they simply used the shape they needed to surround the buildings. The only evidence I have is the beginning of the E3 movie. It's not great but...

Offline scorpia11

• Battlezone Captain
  • Who else but Quagmire!!??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 12:30:55 pm »
Yeah, as I said before on some other thread a while back, I would like to take like, a moon of some sort or something, and cover it completely in a city. That would be a great project, and it would take a while.

what you mean something like this?

http://www.geocities.com/jamesehomepage/coruscant.jpg