Author Topic: Procedural Pooping  (Read 13466 times)

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural Pooping
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2006, 10:16:10 pm »
ohg jeez... have we really bcome so starved for info we have to talk about creatures flinging poop at aliens? *sigh*
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline kcron

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 12:49:10 am »
What about a race like an evolved dung beetle that herds animals for there poop.
and trades with other tribes for different kinds of poop.

Offline Psychic_Dude

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 12:54:03 am »
This would be funny to see in the game, however I don't think it Will be a matter of choosing a part for it, most likely it will be procedurally generated as walking, dancing or mating is. It would be rather unnecessary if the player had to choose a location for the creature's anus and to avoid people making creatures with an absurd amount of anuses or genitalia on their creature its likely they will not include an actual part the same way there are no genitalia.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2006, 04:29:35 am »
I thought this might have gotten flamed or dropped (pardon the puns), but it is good too see all the ideas you have for Spore, even when it comes to poop!! Persoanlly i think it would be good to have in in the game in the same way it was in the Sims 2. Where ti was not a focus, but is still a part of life. Of course seeing alien monkeys fling poop or see that creature with the butt on his head poop would be funny.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 07:39:26 am »
A major reason I never played the Sims was after I found out you had to make your Sim go to the bathroom. That's just sick.
Actually the sims go to the toilet on their own. You can make them go earlier or later by commanding them. I dont think its sick, because its a game. The subject of defecation isnt exactly what i'd call 'sick'. Sure, its not a very pleasant subject, but its part of nature :P

And who is so dumb they can't find their way through a bathroom without their caretaker/player's guidance.
...people who need caretakers?

To the point, running across fields of poop is not my dream of playing Spore. More like a nightmare that would make me avoid the creature phase like a plague. >:(
Why? Because your creatures would need to get rid of waste matter? If creatures have to do that, its not exactly 'running across fields of poop' though is it? Considering all the stuff that makes up common soil/earth, wouldnt you be technically doing that anyway? Or were you just saying you'd avoid the creature stage unless you started in a desert wasteland? :3

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2006, 08:02:23 am »
I personally think it would get in the way and just be too silly and extraneous. It's like... taking Command & Conquer and having to build a Toilet building otherwise your infantry will slow down and get less effective every 10 minutes.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006, 08:21:53 am »
I personally think it would get in the way and just be too silly and extraneous. It's like... taking Command & Conquer and having to build a Toilet building otherwise your infantry will slow down and get less effective every 10 minutes.
That is only out of the way, because in C&C, you dont have to take care of other things like keeping them nourished nor dealing with their off-duty time. All such things are already assumed taken care of so you can focus on the action, whereas in Spore, we're managing the creatures behaviour and at first, teaching it how it should behave (or discovering how it should), and then afterwards, it follows in our guidelines as we move away from the individual creatures. Getting rid of waste matter just goes hand in hand with eating. It is no more essential than including sleeping, as we could also assume that the creature sleeps when necessary, and removing the need to actually find somewhere to sleep prevents a lot of unnecessary hassle.. the same kind of hassle the creature goes through finding somewhere to crouch for a second (perhaps marking terratory, I dunno).

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2006, 10:12:47 am »
It is all about the Circle of Poo.  :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist when I saw that quote above.

The circle of poo
From the day we arrive on this planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done

There is far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
Through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round

It's the circle of poo
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the circle
The circle of poo

It's the circle of poo
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the circle
The circle of poo
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2006, 02:05:58 pm »
This board shows just how incredibly detailed Spore is... And how much free time people on this forum have on their hands.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 03:43:55 am »
this reminds me of a comedian i saw in TV once. i cant remember what his excact words were, but it went something like this:
"And how do dogs get that shape in their turds? do they spin around like a soft serve machine or something?"

:D

:)

:(

:-[ well it was funny at the time...

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 04:41:19 am »
I'd like to see how this guy poops... ;D

Yes, that would be funny, maybe he eats the last vitamins out of it ?  ;D
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline ollj

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • "procedurally generated"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2006, 06:01:38 am »
NO!

Poop was never within the best 10% of any sim game.
Not even Molineoux makes poop entertaining.
And there are just no butt-parts in the creature editor.

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2006, 06:29:45 am »
I'd like to see how this guy poops... ;D

Yes, that would be funny, maybe he eats the last vitamins out of it ? ;D
Its simple really. It quickly launches its poop at its prey, starting its own cycle of poop all over again =P

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 07:48:03 am »
NO!

Poop was never within the best 10% of any sim game.
Not even Molineoux makes poop entertaining.
And there are just no butt-parts in the creature editor.
I remember having great fun pelting my creatures poo at opposing towns from afar. Im sure in multiplayer games poop wars would be pretty fun. So, I disagree. :3 Besides, just because something wont instantly dominate the rest of the game by way of entertainment, doesnt mean it couldnt use to be in. I dont get why people are all so suddenly outraged/disgusted by the thought of having poo in a game that orbits around creatures. Okay, I can understand not wanting squelch mortars and customisable drop points, but those were just jokes    xP

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 08:13:08 am »
I agree, poo in the game is funny, but I don't care if it's not in the game. I think it don't put anything more in the game than a joke.
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of: