Author Topic: Your greatest video game stories!  (Read 11490 times)

Offline Behumat

• Moon Patroller
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
Re: Your greatest video game stories!
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2006, 12:28:11 pm »
Ahhh, my best video game moment. We were toe to...umm...hoof? With the big guy, Chaos himself. The battle had been dragging on for some time, my black wizard throwing everything in his spell list at him, while my white mage did his best to keep everyone alive. Sadly, it was a failing effort. My theif was the first to go, while trying to sneak attack he was cruely cut down by the black cold sword of Chaos. Next went the black wizard, having run out of spell points, he was an easy target, undefended as my fighter was valiently hacking away at the evil hooves of Chaos. Next went my White wizard, she died while curing my fighter, that he may continue this all important battle. Finally, as my fighter neared his death, terribly slashed and bleeding from his wounds, Chaos fell. Huzzah! The world has been saved! And the orbs were returned to their peoples placing the world back in balance. Ahhhh, Final Fantasy. What a great game.

Offline Lilfuture

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2006, 10:32:55 pm »
Well, maybe not incredibly impressive, but something I'm proud of:

Two of my friends and I were playing Blood Gulch on Halo 1 fooling around, and managed to get all of the vehicles ontop of one base. With our setup, that was: 2 tanks, 2 warthogs, and 2 ghosts. Definately the hardest part was getting both the tanks on - even 3 well-timed grenades and rockets together didn't get it to move much, and for the first we had to use the other tank to get it up - making us a bit clueless for a while on the second. Not to mention one of them was having more fun killing us than helping.

The bad part is that after we had them all pretty lookin up there for a screenshot, the un-helpful one of my friends had the wonderful idea to blow both the tanks off the roof before I could get a picture that wasn't blurry. Cheap cameras, yay! I wonder if my friend still has the blurry image atleast on his computer...

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2006, 01:43:09 am »
Okay here is one.

I was playing F.E.A.R. Combat and it was great. I was in a square room. We were playing Team Deathmatch. So two reds come in and they start trying to roundhouse kick me. So I run backwards and duck and whatnot. I had the pistols equipped and I opened up on them and knocked them both out of the sky and got one headshot. Then I threw a grenade in some guy's face, and got some guy in the head from super long range.

All with the trusty dual pistols.

And remember how I was complaining about the lighting? I found the flashlight key, its the "X" key. The game is now AWESOME!

Offline ilikesanta

• Little Computer Person
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2006, 11:22:17 pm »
So I was playing Doom, 4 player deathmatch over XBLA. I enter a room with three other guys who all know each other. There like "Who's ilikesanta?", "pff probally some newb." I just sigh to myself and the game starts. I run around shooting them up and doing a pretty decent job. I shoot one guy with a bazooka and he goes, "you noob I only had a pistol, you had a bazooka!" I go, "should have I waited for you to get a better weapon" .... he goes"noob"

So i kill them some more they call me noob. I jump on a tellaporter and get put in a cage and i'm pretty much a sitting duck. One of them gets mad at me because i'm shooting rockets at him. one of them says to the others leave me in there for the rest of the game, and they call me a noob for getting stuck in the cage. Two of them teleport in there with me and I make short work of them. one gose "Dude stop camping" i yell "I'm stuck in here" it's not camping if i can't go any where else.

The game ends. I came in first with 17 kills, 2nd place 9. for some reason they were quite. i go, "ooo look at me i'm such a noob, noob noob noob noob." a responce, "welll......" nothing else i leave and do a happy dance. It's great when people try a trash talk you and just you distroy them. ;D
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Yokto

• After Burner Airman
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Hearts of Iron War Stories
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 07:37:41 pm »
Well there is a long tradition of making logs and stories about how once game when it games like Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis. Usaly with pictures and that. But this is just my first attempt so nothing like that. Just a small anecdotal story about a game I had. Feel free to post you comments or maybe your own stories. 

The Story about how France invaded USA.

The story start with me choosing to pick a nation to play. I wanted to play sort of a underdog in this game. But also a nation that would have some resource at its disposal. A nation that could at least in theory have done better then what it did during World War II. So i picked France. Everyone like to pick on them anyway so now they could have there chance to glow. Of course that was depended if i could play them well enough of course. Else i might just repeat history or worse.

As France i start of with a nice defensive like against Germany. The infamous Maginot Line. As well as a decent army to defend it with. My economy was OK and France before the war really was a greater power. So the odds where not really stacked against me. But i knew i did not want to go the same path as France did during the war. I changed my policy slowly towards a more aggressive and interventionist policy. As well as improve my army to become more offensive and of course, more a army of quality over quantity. This policy have severed me well when i played USA (Which i guess is the game on easy mode because USA really really really have the best start situation.) It would prove to server me well here to. The game progressed much like real history. Germany inverted in Spain and so on. But the aggressive nature of the Germans (because there almost always aggressive in the game) would prove to be there downfall.

After Germany had done some pretty bad things sucking up bits of land here and there under there German liberation policy. I France could not stand by and watch more. I had efficiently changed the political policy of the country to make France pretty much in to a world police. Passing harsh judgement doing hostility against other counties. Which meant i easily gained support to go in to Germany to stop this lunatic Hitler and his cronies. Before Germany even was thinking of "liberating" Poland I declared war on them. Heck i was not going to give them a chance to build up there forces more they they already had! I prepared for the worse. Even though i had jump-start WWII a few years early Germany was still very much prepared for a fight and i knew this.

The war the followed would be brutal but swift. I started by advancing on all fronts and at the start had few allies to relay on. UK had not really mobilised them self for war yet and well.. The rest of the allies at this point could not be relied upon ether. So i was prepared to do this alone if i had to. I manage to take a some ground at the boarder. But i would quickly be pushed back by the germans. Back to my magino line. And here i saw the genius behind it. How it should have been used. The Germans could not directly assault the line without great losses. And i was wise enough to have a few divisions in reserve if i needed to reinforce it somewhere. But the biggest differnce in my defence policy was that i advanced though the lower countries. Not the Germans. Here i focused most of my army and becouse of that it was not i who was spreed thin. It was the geramans.

They where channelled up against the wall wile my troops advanced at the rear. The numeral superiority of my troops to the north would make sure that the Germans could not really counter me. And if they pulled troops along the souther boarder the there was always a risk that i could break out from my line because i was not afraid of going on the offensive. The Germans became trapped between the line and my advancing army that was now encircling them. At the same time i send some of my more mobile troops to try to capture as much territory as possible just to cause havoc with resource and supply lines. The plan worked. Soon i would control all of Germany and annexing the nation. Essentially ending the WWII before it had even started in real history.

End of part 1
Check out my Creatures.
The Ćthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
I got Dyslexia, deal with it.

Offline Yokto

• After Burner Airman
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron War Stories
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2012, 10:37:26 am »
Part 2

After having dealt with the Germans I set in motion to deal with the Italians. These bullies had been a bad influence on the Germans as we all know. There terrain would work to there advantage as well as my allies would have a even harder time to deploy there troops. So with this enemy i was very much on my own. But there army was in a poor shape compared to my forces. They had both less troop and where a bit behind technology wise. So the battle again the Italians would prove rather uneventful and it was not long before Italy was annexed to. Soon France would control most parts of continental Europe as all the Axis would fall. We would finally have a lasting peace in Europe it seemed under the democratic rule of the Allies.

For some time there was peace. But as you all know peace is boring in a game like this. Also i wanted to play world police. So i did my darnedest to try to find conflicts to intervene in. I was hoping i would get support to go in to Spain to show Franco what we think of Fascist. But i could not. So it seemed that the game might end with a long lasting peace if not USSR would go berserk. As such most of my researched was focused on the industrial sector. Nuclear research was big to as it could lead to some great civil improvements. A small amount would also to in to improving the army and navy. Most notably the show development towards a nuclear fleet.

On the diplomatic front i would issue protection around the world as a part of my world police role. No one seemed interested in starting any wars so everything was going fine... Until a small south American county declared war on a other small south American county. One i had garantied independences. So natural as world police i said: "Hay! You can not do that! Feel the might of the French army as its Allies!". I declared war on the small poor county and was a bit happy that i got to do something a bit more interesting. To my surprise a big giant to the north had awaken... USA! The United States of America had been pretty passive for a long time. But they had seen how the French had gone in annexing nations in order to resolve conflicts. How France has become the most aggressive nation on earth with there Pax Francia policy. USA could not stand for this and in turn stood behind the other south American nation and declare was on France. I imagine that FDR said something like this: "No one is playing world police but us! Especially not in our backyard! Now its on!"

At first I got a bit worried. USA is the most powerful nation in the world.. Well at the start of the game at least. Now i was probably the most powerful having annexed both Germany and Italy. But there was also a hole ocean separating us. When i though against Germany and Italy i could just march over the boarder. Here i did not have that luxury. And my own coast was not as well defended as my boarder against Germany to. So there was a serious treat that USA with its massive navy. Now bigger then even the British Empires Navy would strike at me. But i knew the only thing i could do is go on the offensive. I set off with my navy and transport ships to set a foothold in America as soon as possible. Lucky my focus on quality over quantity would aid me greatly.

I invaded in short the eastern shoreline of USA taking several important cities. USA has lucky not focused so much on its army as it had done with is navy. And larger parts of is navy was stationed in the pacific and not in the Atlantic. So taking cities like New York and Washington DC would prove easy. Very easy in fact with my highly trained tanks ad mobile infantry. At the same time i had asked Canada (Which where a part of the Allies) if i could gain control over there armed forces. I gained so and they where armed to the teeth. My guess is they had seen the impotence of a larger standing army considering the battles in Europe with the Axis. They where prepared and there willing to fight.  Canada alone had more troops then USA ready to be deployed.

Together I France and Canada would decimate any resistance in continental USA. What little troops USA had to defend its mainland where no match to our troops. France would provide the spearhead of the assault and Canada would be the backbone. The partnership was wonderful and we advanced in great strides over the continent. The infrastructure of USA would greatly aid my mobile troops. It honestly did not take to long to take over the mainland of USA... But the problem would be the pacific islands.

USA had pretty much lost the war but they where not ready to get annexed yet. Say what you will about USA being unprepared to fight a land war. They at least has a lot of motivation. As USA retreated what little they had left and set up there government in Hawaii they prepared to make a last stand. And boy it would be a last stand. In the pacific USA was dominant. There navy largely intact and there islands well guarded it would be a long hard battle ahead. I responded by sending my own navy to counter USA. But i had a far more modest Navy. Wile i had finally started to build my nuclear fleet of ships it would take a long time to actually get all the ships up and running. After all it can literally take years to build a sizeable fleet. Unlike months for division of tanks. As such i had focused mainly on building nuclear subs. They where the fasted to produced and had pretty much zero maintenance. But even with my growing nuclear submarine fleet it would be at a disadvantage.

The war became a war of manover as i tried to get at a stinking distance to impotent targets in the pacific and without confronting the USA navy directly. It was a long and hard battle. But finally i manage to take the well guarded islands of Hawaii. And once i did the war was over. USA became annexed by France and is Allies. Canada had been instrumental in the war. I imagine FDR was put in away to be treated for his mental instability which had made the situation. Democracy had triumphed again! And so i put the game on pause after that.

The plans i did have after that was to go after USSR and of course Franco. Down with Dictators! Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité!

Well i hope it was a bit interesting.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ćthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
I got Dyslexia, deal with it.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Civilization Emperor
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 11:12:34 am »
I have a story from Victoria 2 when a massive war erupted in the 1920s between me (Democratic German), France, Italy, Spain and the Ottomans vs Presidential Dicatorship UK (called "Great Britain because of the reactionary revolt), Kingdom of Russia and Austria-Hungary. Not uncommon you might say, but the cause was kinda cool.

Belgium has a Flemish Uprising, creating Flanders in the north. Southern Belgium (Wallonia, I guess) tried to annex Flanders, and Flanders being in my Sphere I decided to stop these shenanigans at once. Since Belgium was in the British Sphere this triggered a series of alliances that resulted in everything exploding at once.

Russia tried to invade me through our polish border - luckily I gained the two regions that form the Russian Bubble under Germany, so a seven province border was just a four province border, and I was able to effectively defend that border. from the pesky Ruskies. Austria-Hungary was kind of screwed from the beggining, since Italy and France basically pumped armies into Southern Austria, though they still put up a fight. On the Ottoman front, Russia were blitzkrieging across Iraq towards my colony in Dumyat (Suez). Normally this wouldn't be a problem, I'd just ship my East Asian troops over to the Middle east and kick them back into Russia, stealing their Vodka and Borscht and declaring victory. However, Britain's anal-fist in India made this impossible. Russia soon reached Istanbul, and the war in the south looked lost.

Then out of no-where, Britain melted. Every single British army revolted and became Jacobin rebels. All of them. Britain's authoritarian state made for high militancy, and this erupted into full scale revolt. Under normal circumstances it would have made a cool Worker's Union, but for some reason Communism was invented really late this game, while Fascism happened really early. Britain was suddenly out of the War. I dumped the entire population of Vietnam on the Russians, and I kicked them out of the Ottoman Empire, who then liberated Kars for good measure.

For the record, we won and Flanders liberated Brussels, and I "liberated" that tiny British island off the coast of Denmark that I apparently had a core at. Might post a picture of Flanders if I can find the save.

Not Hearts of Iron, but I guess it's the same game essentially.
You're in my way, sir.

Dude, you're dreaming that you're a pony.  I don't care how good the show is.

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:23 am »
...and then I threw a five and a two!

Offline Plank of Wood

• Civilization Emperor
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 03:38:24 pm »
Beating Russia and Austria in late-game land wars as Germany is not hard, dude. I shared it because it was kind of a weird scenario.
You're in my way, sir.

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 04:10:22 pm »
I'm only teasing the thread in general.
These things, at least for me, are a "you need to have been there" kind of thing.

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 04:17:30 pm »
I found Yokto's story to be interesting.

Not so much plank's. Sorry Plank.  ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Civilization Emperor
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »
I sad. :'(
You're in my way, sir.

Offline Kaizer

• Arkanoid Vaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 01:50:54 pm »
playing dark souls for the first time online and I get invaded by a level 999 griefer

he then proceeds to use the weakest weapons and armor in the game to troll me as I pointlessly try to backstab him enough to kill him

then I tricked him onto a bridge over a bottomless pit

griefing? this is sparta

so yea long story short, killed an assclown, got super powered because of it, still die to every single mook in the game

Offline Celdur

• Baseball SuperStar
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27:01 pm »
WELCOME TO DARK SOULS

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.