Author Topic: Your greatest video game stories!  (Read 10708 times)

Online PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
Your greatest video game stories!
« on: July 09, 2006, 03:34:14 pm »
This topic is simple. Tell us about all those times where you did something totally awesome in a game!

I will start.

A friend and I were co-oping Halo on Legendary and we were on the last level. So thing got mucked up in the tunnel so we were short on time. Anyway, we got to the ship and plowed through the enemies and got onto the ship with (And I am not kidding) .01 seconds left.

We nearly **** ourselves. That was totally awesome!

TheNecromonicon

Re: Your greatest video game stories!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 05:05:41 pm »
sorry, there is a thread in the PC section with the exact same name

Ah, but if its in the PC section, it likely refers to playing PC games. This is the consol section, and as any gamer knows, playing on the PC vs playing on a consol is quite different. I vote this thread stay, and refer only to console games.

With that, I also have a Halo 2 story.

Ok, so 2v2, Coagulation, Capture the Flag, 3 to win, game tied at 2.

My ally is driving the jeep, I'm sitting turret, heading towards opp base. We've already tried twice to get to their flag but were beaten to the rocket launcher and forced back by sniper fire. As we come over the hill, I see in the distance a rocket fired from atop their base, and I yell "bale!" I get out in time, but my ally dies, jeep explodes and goes flying, nearly hits me in the head. Just then, opp1 appears at porter, his battle rifle vs my smg. I bounce a grenade into his face, then pelt him, he hits me a few times, he dies, im at 1/3 sheilds, just as my partner respawns at our base. Just as I kill opp1, his ally opp2 on their base fires another rocket, and it explodes about 5 meters from me, im down to no sheilds. My ally has grabbed a ghost, and rushes past me, only to get hit by another rocket, but his exploded ghost flys into and kills opp1 who had just respawned. I run to the side, and hide behind a boulder on the rockslid side, just as another rocket hits, but I'm safe. It was opp2's last rocket. He grabs the sniper rifle and starts trying to pick me off, ignoring my ally who just respawned, picked up our sniper rifle, and slips one right through opp2's head from clear across the map (its is possible to snipe from base to base if you haven't tried it yet). I rush out, and run along the side, only to find opp1 who had respawned and grabbed a ghost comming right towards me to ram. I jump up at the last second, opp1 crashes into the wall, i throw a sticky on him, land on the ghost, and jump again just as the sticky explodes, killing opp1, exploding the ghost, and sending me flying towards the newly spawned rocket launcher. I run to it, grab it, load it, and turn, to find opp2 driving at me in their jeep. I fire the rocket and blow up their jeep, it stops just before running over me. I reload and see opp1 respawn in the distance, then get picked off my my ally's sniper. I concider running into their base to grab the flag, but instead decide to go up the side to the roof. As i'm going up opp2 respawns and I blow him away with the launcher. I jump down, switch guns so i still keep my launcherr, grab their flag, and run out. As I'm about half way back, a sniper shot hits the ground in front of me, then goes through my arm, my sheilds are down. I make it over the ridge just as another shot whips by my head. Opp1 has the sniper. My ally is running towards me, I toss him the flag, he runs to score, as i turn around, pull out a sticky, and whip it into the sky, to fall right onto opp1's head cause he's chasing me. I then pull out my rocket launcher and as opp2 wizzes by on their newly respawned ghost, chasing after my ally, I lock on and fire and hit him just as my ally is about to be run over. My ally gets in the base, plants the flag, and we win. It still blows my mind how I managed to survive that round.

Offline Devoid

• Donkey Kong King
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 05:11:24 pm »

No, the PC section thread is about the storyline in games, not about unique stories of awesomeness achieved by the player.

Offline Daxx

• TV Smasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 05:46:19 pm »
In that case, I shall relate a story of PC gaming awesomeness.

The Game - BF1942, Desert Combat

The Situation - So we were playing on a water map (I forget which one, I don't play this game too much) and I get in the Stallion with my mate in the back. We start to fly, so I can drop him off at a spawn point which we were trying to capture and then use the Stallion as a mobile spawn point.
He goes off to get a sandwich, and meanwhile, I'm left flying the chopper waiting for him. What I hadn't noticed was that whilst hovering I had the collective on full, and we were staedily gaining height (you lose your ground reference after a while).
So he comes back with sandwich, and he prepares to bail. He jumps out, and I wait for him to get to the ground so I can come in and land. He waits. We both wait. A minute later, he's still falling with no ground in sight.
Eventually, he sees the ground and forgets to open his parachute, so he hits the ground, and we laugh about how amusing that was. Then, he respawns in the chopper again (I'm still climbing) and jumps out again. He moves around, and eventually realises that he can fly literally around the entire map before landing. So we both jump out, and spend the next 5 minutes doing our superman thing before finally arriveing at the spawnpoint, deploying parachutes, and busting ass.

Aerial insertion in BF is a brilliant idea. We tried it in his next clan match, and it worked like a charm. The enemy were like "WTF?" because there were none of our men on the ground. We were all in choppers, and then we all skydived in and took all the spawnpoints with absolutely no warning of our approach.

They never saw it coming.

Offline aname

• Star Wars Padawan
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 11:14:24 pm »

No, the PC section thread is about the storyline in games, not about unique stories of awesomeness achieved by the player.

The Greatest Video Game Stories vs. Your greatest video game stories!

the context doesen't matter. i said they had the same name. almost
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Devoid

• Donkey Kong King
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 12:34:08 am »

The Greatest Video Game Stories vs. Your greatest video game stories!

the context doesen't matter. i said they had the same name. almost

You were inferring that this thread was a copy of the other one, when in fact they're on different subjects entirely.

Offline Vivec

• Out Run Speedster
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 12:57:43 am »
Halo2 makes for some good multiplayer stories.

So, I'm halfway across the map (Coagulation), and my friend in a banshee is getting shot down by a guy in a jeep. (not gauss) I can't get a tracking shot in on him with my rocket launcher, and there are some rocks in the way so I can't just shoot it. I jump up with my sniper, make sure I'm aiming it right, then switch to my rocket launcher and hit him dead on. He had no idea what was happening, and neither of my friends kne what I was shooting at.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 01:24:26 am »
I do that all the time, where if I run out of sniper bullets, I'll keet the sniper, get a rocket launcher, and snipe targets far away with rockets.

One time though, I had to fire clear across coagulation with my rocket to hit a jeep, without the aid of a sniper. So I took the best aim I could and fire... it traveled for like 10 VERY long seconds before it it the opps jeep and they toppled over. I was very please with myself. I am a rocket sniping master.

Also, I'm an extremely good banshee pilot. Heavy weapons and artillery are my speciality.

Offline Vivec

• Out Run Speedster
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 01:44:52 am »
Also, I'm an extremely good banshee pilot. Heavy weapons and artillery are my speciality.

Yeah, dodging rockets is actually really easy. I am astonished my friend's can't manage.

Another time, I fired a rocket at my friend in a banshee, he miraculously managed to dodge it....but it made a long u-turn and hit him,
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline ilikesanta

• Little Computer Person
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 02:00:27 am »
I was playing Counter Strike (PC) on the villa map playing as Counter Terrorist. I was under the little bridge near the terrorist house with a terrorist on top of me keeping me pinned down. Without any of my teammates near to help me out, I pull out a grenade, aimed up, jumped out from under the bridge, threw the gernade at a wall, it bounced back over the bridge and exploded in the terrorist's face. I love physics. I drew a picture:
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Aybraus

• Track and Field Jock
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 02:19:17 am »
Here's one.
BF1942-I kamikazied a big base on a pacific map.
I missed.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline PHI-1618

• Pack M.U.L.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 02:26:02 am »
Please forgive me for the following lack of detail because it's been a while since this happened, but I believe it was on GTA III and not one of its follow-ups. Anyway, I've proceeded to tick the police off rather badly and they're sending all manner of hellfire my way. I'm on the motorcycle, head for one of the jumps that I usually use to take me over a river -- but this time, I swerve and hide behind the incline and wait. As I hear a police vehicle coming closer, I pull out my bazooka and point it straight up. A police car launches from the incline and I fire -- the impact slamming into the undercarriage of the cruiser, causing it to shoot high up into the air, do a full flip, and come crashing into the river! Everyone in the room watching me play -- we were taking turns -- freaked out; it was simply impressive how the momentum of its jump caused it to continue along with the bazooka blast and carried it all the way into the middle of the river. It's difficult to describe, the timing was simply too perfect. I don't even know how I knew when to fire the thing; I just felt the timing somehow.

Offline Celdur

• Baseball SuperStar
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 04:43:14 am »
he i got another GTA storie...its not the greatest i have (cose i cant remember right now) but its good anyways...wel in gta i think its fun to have the police on ur tail....so i take the truck whit that ramp on it and do the police up cheat....like always...but this time it really went wierd. before i know it police where flying over the ramp of my car that was quite normal thats why i chose that car but then one police car flew over my ramp and on the same time another police car comes flying over the roof to another next thing i know one comes from the front and the roof police car comes falling down so i crash into them and they al step out when ANOTHER car comes and hits one of the men and then the one who fel of the roof (starts burning) me in reverse and they al blew up.....that was like the most STUPID police action EVER

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 04:46:31 am »
he i got another GTA storie...its not the greatest i have (cose i cant remember right now) but its good anyways...wel in gta i think its fun to have the police on ur tail....so i take the truck whit that ramp on it and do the police up cheat....like always...but this time it really went wierd. before i know it police where flying over the ramp of my car that was quite normal thats why i chose that car but then one police car flew over my ramp and on the same time another police car comes flying over the roof to another next thing i know one comes from the front and the roof police car comes falling down so i crash into them and they al step out when ANOTHER car comes and hits one of the men and then the one who fel of the roof (starts burning) me in reverse and they al blew up.....that was like the most STUPID police action EVER

*WhooHoo WhooHoo* Pull aside, this is the Spelling and Grammar Police, please step out of your motorhome and fix your post."

Offline Daxx

• TV Smasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 06:56:54 am »
Fun with tank cheats in GTA III:

So I was demostrating to a friend how you could blow up a tank with a flamethrower, and I decided to make a huge pile of tanks to try and get a chain reaction. Now as everyone knows, in GTA III if you stand in the same place and do the tank cheats you start getting a tower of tanks where they all sit on top of each other. Anyway, I'm at the top of this hill and I do the tank cheat a bunch of times, creating a huge pile. Just at that moment a whole load of peds walk by, and I couldn't resist torching them. So, I walked down the hill torching this massive group of them for a little bit until they all died or ran away. My friend says, "what about the tanks?", and I was like: "Oh, yeah!". I turn around to go back up the hill and the instant I do so a tank runs me over. It had basically fallen off the pile and was rolling down the hill towards me, and I turned around at exactly the right time to see it hit me. We couldn't stop laughing for hours.