Author Topic: I MYST out!  (Read 4620 times)

Offline ADP

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
I MYST out!
« on: July 09, 2006, 06:58:14 am »
[review offline]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:02:38 pm by ADP »

werechicken

Re: I MYST out!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 07:40:50 am »
You really should be shot for that pun

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 12:35:21 pm »
Anyone here that knows me knows that I love love love Myst!

Yay you!

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 04:28:01 pm »
Certainly a great game. I've been trying to get my girlfriend to play the first one but she says its too much like work, and she has the special edition that gives the answers if you get stuck! Oh well, I guess there's no accounting for taste some times. :P I haven't play 4 and 5 though. Were they as good as the older ones?

Offline NRG753

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 11:29:17 pm »
I've been going through RealMYST lately.. it's pretty well done.. great game for those who dont like violence (I dont have a problem with it, I finished FEAR on the hardest setting :P). I still havent got further than I did on the original :D.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 07:44:10 am »
Riven was good but it was a bitch to finish... that game was so very hard.
Exile was a lot of fun and it looked really nice. Plus giant marble drop ride.
Revelations looked amazing and the story was pretty good.
End of Ages was dazzling! The story came to an okay close and the gameplay was fun.

It can not be ignored though that each game got progressively worse after Riven. Not much worse... but worse none the less.

They are all great though.

And the Uru series is in my book as one of the most underrated series ever. Just behind EarthBound.

I especially like how the guy was in LotR.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 08:02:03 am by PatMan33 »

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 08:04:26 am »
Riven was good but it was a bitch to finish... that game was so very hard.
Exile was a lot of fun and it looked really nice. Plus giant marble drop ride.
Revelations looked amazing and the story was pretty good.
End of Ages was dazzling! The story came to an okay close and the gameplay was fun.

It can not be ignored though that each game got progressively worse after Riven. Not much worse... but worse none the less.

Dear god, really? I hated Riven. It's what actually turned me off of the Myst series. I devoured Myst, but when I got to Riven, I simply played it for a while and couldn't into it. The puzzles were harder, sure, but it felt shoddy to me for some reason. Haven't played a Myst game since.

Offline ADP

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 08:50:56 am »
I don't deny that Riven was hard, but one thing that perhaps made me biased toward it was how I saw deep parts of the game before I got to play it properly myself.

But Riven was the game in the series that had the most effort put into it, after 4 years of careful, intense work. In fact, Riven's graphics are even better than Exile's, so they'd make "Real Exile" before "Real Riven."

I also think Catherine's journal in Riven was the best of all journals in the Myst series. (People have complained about the messy handwriting, but that's necessary to indicate how she is under intense stress while writing it and is writing it in the gloom of a dark cavern with no desk.)

--

Oh, yes. Let's not overlook how good the music is in the whole series.

I'd say the tunes from Myst are among the most haunting.

--

Also, Brad Durif (who played Wormtongue in LotR) did an homage to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in Exile when he shouts "NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!..." (He also showed off his ability to cosciously shed tears in Exile as well.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 08:57:57 am by ADP »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 09:06:44 am »
I love all the journals and books in those games. It really shows you how much effort the developers put into the game. I fear that we will not be seeing that much effort and detail put into many more games in the future.

And I agree totally about the music! I really like the music in Revelation, it was just great!

Video game music is my favorite kind of music and I think that it is overlooked by far too many people.

I really do love Cyan. They are the only ones who still make real Adventure games... not that silly Action Adventure crap... *cough*Dreamfall*cough*

Offline ADP

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 09:46:23 am »
There's the website: MYSTerium.ch

The people who maintain that site did a neat fan contribution to Riven and Exile.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:16:24 pm by ADP »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 10:35:11 am »
Because of this topic I am going to play Myst IV again...

Mainly for some sexy screenshots. That game looks the best of the five if you ask me!

I really wish they had kept the classic style of Myst in End of Ages... but the 3D worked I guess. They had to use that engine somewhere after slaving over it for so long...

Offline ADP

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »
One of the most thrilling sequences in Myst 4: Revelation in my opinion is when you're in Spire and you drop way, way down over the edge of the age to calibrate the music machine.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:17:30 pm by ADP »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 03:00:19 pm »
Spire was amazing.

You know that you can not die, but you still worry about dying in that level. Its really wild!

Offline ADP

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 04:16:06 pm »
Re: "Worried about dying in Spire"?

Exactly. I spent the longest time trying to open that hatch from above until I realized you had to jump into that hole with a vertical drop way up from above. I thought, "I'm not going down there, that's suicide!" Well, it is a near-vertical slide at first, but it tapers into something less steep.

(I like how in Uru, with your "pocket linking book", you can do stupid things like jump into a fissure of lava and you'll automatically warp out at the last second; like Gaming Steve said, it's nice to not be "glued" to the world.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:20:01 pm by ADP »

werechicken

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 04:55:22 pm »
i hate to be the one to say this, but are you just posting here for free advetisement for your own game review site?