Author Topic: New Race: The Ketter  (Read 3075 times)

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
New Race: The Ketter
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:44:41 pm »
Name: The Ketter

Type: Sentient Bipedal Mammal

Lifestyle: Omnivorous Pack-Hunter

Habitat: Cold Temperature (-30*/0*F Freze)(0*/30*F Thaw), Mountains, Tundra, Some Sparse Forests (-30% canopy cover)

Size: 1.8 meters tall (~6ft)

Weight: 170lbs (~77kg)

Diet: Large mammals (38%), Small Mammals (17%), Fish (10%), Birds (2%), Foraging (10%), Farming (12%), Cannibalism of other tribes (5%), Insects (6%)

Hunt/Forage Success Rate: Hunting 80%, Foraging/Farming 20%

Natural Armor: Excellent Heat Containment (Fur), Little protection from Physical Damage

Natural Defenses: Excellent Agility and Ability to Climb Mountains and Trees, Intelligence

Method of Eating: The Ketter’s mouth is made up of two razor sharp teeth which help them to cut into raw meat, and the rest of their teeth are flat and useful for chewing meat, fruit, nuts, and plants.

Lifespan: 30-40 years

Reproductive Rate: Able to give birth once every 2 years

Age of Maturity: 10 years

Gestation: 5 months

Offspring Survival Rate: 60%

Offspring Incubation: The Ketter grows inside the female for 5 months and is born in an insulated, porus sac.  The parent Ketter give birth to the infants in a covered pit to protect them from the harsh weather.  The baby lives in this sac for about 2 weeks until the food inside is gone, and breaks out mature enough to survive alone, although the Ketter still remain in a clan until the child reaches sexual maturity, where they either choose to break from the clan or remain a member.

Number of Offspring: 1 to 2

Home Planet: Kaldhem

Appearance:
The Ketter grow to average human height since their low surface area/volume ratio makes them more efficient in the cold and does not allow them to spread their weight too much.  For the same reason, A Ketter’s chest is large and their hearts take up 35% of their  chest cavity to help them run for long distances.  The Ketter are of average build, and do not require as much fat as other creatures for insulation thanks to their excellent fur coats.

Ketter are bipedal, and their legs are long to help them climb mountains and trees.  Their feet have 4 clawed toes, with 3 long toes in front with claws on the end, and one near the heel to help grasp rocks more tightly.  They also have two long arms also useful for climbing, and each hand has 3 long fingers and one thumb-like finger.  The Ketter’s fingernails are not as sharp as their toenails, partly because they are used so frequently and worn down, and also because they don’t grow as fast and need to be short for the Ketter to manipulate tools and weapons.

The Ketter’s head is rounded like a humanoid, but their mouths are large and can open 100 degrees.  Inside their mouths,  the upper canines of a Ketter are the largest teeth and are very sharp, able to cut into animals easily to eat.  The rest of the teeth are flat and useful for eating fruit, nuts, plants, and tenderizing meat so it can be swallowed.  A Ketter’s eyes are large and their vision is very keen, but a lack of nasal passages results in a very weak sense of smell.  Ketter have average hearing through two tube-like ears protruding from the top of their head.

Armor:
Ketter do not place much emphasis on clothing in society, since their fur coats give them decent insulation.  The main purpose of Ketter armor is to provide as much protection as possible while still allowing them to maintain their agility and speed.  In the Tribal Stage, Soldier Ketter wore armor made up of the bones and skins of animals, and chitin of large insects.  This armor was not very strong, and provided minimal protection from blunt and blade weapons.  As time went on, Ketter found uses for different types of ore, which are plentiful in the mountains of Kaldhem.  Making use of this new technology, Ketter armor became predominantly made up of metal, with the joints constructed of bone, animal skin, and traces of ore for strength.  In the Modern Age, Ketter armor grew greatly due to the invention of new, strong cloths and flexible techniques of configuring armor.  (WILL BE ADDED TO LATER)

Early Weapons:
Strength in battle has always been a main focus of the Ketter race.  This stems from their primitive beginnings, where only the strongest and most skilled could survive in the environment.  At its most primitive stage, Ketter began using sharpened pieces of wood as a primitive blade and rounded off large knots in wood to make crude clubs.  As the Ketter became more intelligent, they began to make more use of the animal parts of their prey.  Using skulls tied to strong pieces of wood, the Ketter made more effective clubs, and as time went on they were able to also make blades out of sharpened pelvises of certain animals they killed wedged into a partially split piece of wood and fastened with dried and braided animal sinews.  The first ranged weapon was invented around this time as well, which looked like a curved, hollowed out half tube made of wood and tied to a wooden handle.  Rocks could be flung at high speeds with this weapon and changed the hunting tactics of the Ketter.  The discovery of “blue ore” on Kaldhem, which is arguably the most monumental discovery in the history of the Ketter, sent them into a frenzy of inventing which improved their bladed and blunt weapons.  Also, Ketter realised that metal projectiles could be made more aerodynamic than rocks, and the first “gun” was invented using a high tension slingshot attached to a wooden frame which launched metal balls up to 300 meters effectively.(TO BE ADDED TO)

Society:
The society of the Ketter has not changed much, since their basic idea is that each Ketter must be willing to give their life for the clan.  The size of clans has grown over time, starting with groups of about 15 people and growing to thousands living in settled villages on Kaldhem. (TO BE CONTINUED)

I'll be working on the Society aspect of the Ketter later, and I'll probably draw some designs for it.

If anyone wants to take a shot at drawing the Ketter, I'd be very appreciative...I tried to draw it and failed miserably.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 09:59:52 pm by gutwrencher89 »

Offline Smem

• Mystery House Madman
  • British Waffle
    • View Profile
Re: My New Creature: The Ketter
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 12:46:37 pm »
ooo i like the lay out, most of the time i just skim over what they say as its in one big bulk  ;D show me your drawing and is there anything else i shold know before i give it a shot?
Waffles own you: Dude you hate me ='(
Smem: i hate no one
Waffles own you: what about pigeons :p
Smem: pigeons arn't one they are many

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
Re: My New Creature: The Ketter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 01:14:17 pm »
http://artpad.art.com/?j21uld8pc64

Don't let the drawing hinder your creativity.  Thats the basic structure I want, just make sure you follow the appearance with the;
teeth, mouth, fur, long arms, hands and feet, muscular body
I don't care much about;
nose, ears, eyes, body shape (just not too drastic)

If you think of a body shape that looks cooler, feel free to tweak it a little.
Just think of Neanderthal and monkey, and remember its used to cold temperatures and mountainous terrain :)

UPDATE: If you feel like drawing the creature with one of the sets of clothes I mentioned, you are welcome to use your imagination and add that in (although a plain picture would be awesome anyway)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 04:43:50 pm by gutwrencher89 »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: New Race: The Ketter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 09:01:00 pm »
//Greetings Ketter, this is the Forthi race contacting you. We extend to you an invitation to join the Delegation of Unified Powers (DUP). (OOC:check out the thread) We hope on establishing a strong relationship with the Ketter.
-Forthi Delegation, Speaker of the DUP//

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 10:13:22 pm »
I updated the first post with pictures of some Ketter weapons, let me know what you guys think!

josasa ill get back to you I'm burned out right now...

Offline Smem

• Mystery House Madman
  • British Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 04:38:18 am »
srry i didnt get to draw you creture yet, been busy the past few days, il get onto it now...

... i just noticed how many cretures have no nose :o

Edit: hmm no matter how many times i try to draw it it comes out strange...srry i ges i cant draw humanoid monky thigns with tubes for ears every well -_-
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 05:12:49 am by Smem »
Waffles own you: Dude you hate me ='(
Smem: i hate no one
Waffles own you: what about pigeons :p
Smem: pigeons arn't one they are many

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 01:35:26 pm »
Now we have a pic, thanks to Smem!

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 01:40:45 pm »
Hahahaha it looks like ALF! SWEEEEEET!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 01:59:23 pm »
ALF. Ha!
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.