Poll

How important are well-written posts to you?

Very important, because I like to be able to READ them, rather than decipher.
Some things annoy me, like lack of punctuation or overuse of abbreviation and textspeak.
Basic courteousy is nice, like no FULLCAPS or spammed smilies.
i dun ker at al m8 jsut post hw u liek lol!!!!!! !!!!!!11 :) :) :) :)
If I cant read it easily, I ignore it. Even if its directed at me.

Author Topic: Concerns, directed at the forum.  (Read 11968 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Concerns, directed at the forum.
« on: July 05, 2006, 10:11:07 am »
Whilst this doesnt directly relate to Spore, it does relate to this part of the forum in particular.
I've noticed that grammar/spelling police seem to be popping up out of the woodwork more often now. Its not necessarily a bad thing to point out someones mistakes, but its getting to a point where people are just being completely tactless about it now. I know its annoying, but its generating a lot of little arguements that are in effect bogging down the original threads topics. Just recently, there was one that wasnt even about grammar or spelling, but was based on the word "satellite" and what it really means, as opposed to how it is commonly used (for a man-made orbiter).

Its understandable if someone doesnt read and write english as a primary language, most of the problems there are avoided by simply saying "I dont speak english very well, please excuse", but a lot of people really just dont seem to even -try- to write any more. Being a forum, the entire way we communicate is through written posts. Some people find needless txtspk abbreviations hard to decipher sometimes, or even when they're obvious, it forces people to slow their reading pace down to work out what you mean. Typos will always happen, though, and people shouldnt be too quick to carpetbomb a forumgoer just because they misspelled something. It happens. Give people some elbow-room for mistakes, but if you have to correct them, try not to send another thread into a flaming cartwheel over a single misplaced letter or a mistaken word.

People dont want immaculate, spotlessly forged posts and replies, but a little consideration for those who would read it is all we want really. If you spoke like you wrote, it would be like your mouth was anaesthetised and you had a golfball-sized hole in your tongue, its just not pretty! In return, how about some of us spelling/grammar nazis disarm and go off-duty for a bit? Its annoying to see most posts getting all hung up on minor things, just as annoying as those genuinely horrendous posts that crop up from time to time.

So uh, what im really saying is CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? :-\
*is then promptly beaten under a barrage of 13375p34k and post critiques*
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:15:24 am by Uroboros »

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: Concerns, directed at the forum.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:14:41 am »
Its understandable if someone doesnt read and write english as a primary language, most of the problems there are avoided by simply saying "I dont speak english very well, please excuse", but a lot of people really just dont seem to even -try- to write any more. Being a forum, the entire way we communicate is through written posts.

You need an apostrophe there. ;D

But really, ppl tlking lik dis is really annoying. I don't mind no capitalization, or forgetting a few apostrophes, but I wish people would try to make their posts legible. *glares at Celdur*
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:21:35 am »
Police brutality! ;)

Yeah, I often skip apostrophes, simply because my understanding of them is a little thin on the lines, and they were never necessary to communicate my meanings. Rather than misuse them all the time, I skip them. Well, that, and between the keyboards I use, the speechmarks, apostrophes and "@" symbols keep switching keys. Something to do with keymapping, never fixed it. Never thought them necessary provided my posts were readable. Now just to do something about my post length and rambling...

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 10:35:46 am »
[aussie accent]Mate... I'm gunna post stuff whatcha gotta understand but ay[/aussie accent] :D
Book, book, book

Offline xirtap

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:51:39 am »
Well you can only ask for so much when the average member is 14.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 10:58:55 am »
Asking for a post that you dont have to decipher isnt too much to ask of a teenager. Basic literacy is covered before secondary school, and thats all we want. It just goes out the window when it comes to the internet. Thats what this post is about. I personally dont mind if the posts are rough-edged and have typos and spelling mistakes, provided I can read them enough to get the general message, y'know?

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 11:01:14 am »
Asking for a post that you dont have to decipher isnt too much to ask of a teenager. Basic literacy is covered before secondary school, and thats all we want. It just goes out the window when it comes to the internet. Thats what this post is about. I personally dont mind if the posts are rough-edged and have typos and spelling mistakes, provided I can read them enough to get the general message, y'know?
Ever done any high school teaching? (not having a go at you, just curious)
Book, book, book

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 11:06:12 am »
Im not that suicidal ;)

To be fair, when I first got on the internet I typed similarly, but I think I learned quickly. Am im being too harsh, at all?

Offline xirtap

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 11:30:40 am »
One thing also worth noting is that people from non-english speaking countries uses the internet too. Learning more than one language is hard if your school doesn't offer any secondary language like english.

Offline Mjavabean

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
    • Mjavabean's homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 11:45:24 am »
I use proper grammar, and anyone who doesn't use proper grammar will receive a scary message.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:50:24 am by Mjavabean »

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 12:13:26 pm »
I think if they can't speak English well, they should type in their native language. If we know their language, we can reply, in English, or in their language. Or we could use one of the many translators on the internet.
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline xirtap

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 12:21:38 pm »
I think if they can't speak English well, they should type in their native language. If we know their language, we can reply, in English, or in their language. Or we could use one of the many translators on the internet.

That is not going to work. I wouldn't go to the length of using bablefish in order to read half of the posts here. Instead of yelling at people for their mistakes, point them out in a more nice way and explain why it's like that(For example is someone writes your instead of you're). If you're going to point out the spelling/grammar mistake at least take the time to explain why it is wrong.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 01:29:41 pm »
A fourteen-year-old knows how to spell words and use apostrophes and periods, if not commas and their equivalents.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 02:16:21 pm »
One thing also worth noting is that people from non-english speaking countries uses the internet too. Learning more than one language is hard if your school doesn't offer any secondary language like english.
See :
"Its understandable if someone doesnt read and write english as a primary language, most of the problems there are avoided by simply saying "I dont speak english very well, please excuse""

I have no problem with mistakes... but try replying to the original post and hit "Spell Check".  I know pressing a single button is too much to ask... but if you expect people to be courteous enough to not use 'all caps' or 'net speak', then why is auto-proofing your post too much to ask?
If you're actually trying to say my opening post wasnt accurate enough for you, then the reply is "I dont care". I dont auto-proof, because online it amounts to wasted moments when nothing of note is found. It gets old. If im not sure how to spell something, i'll look it up directly. Yes, of course I make mistakes too, im only as mortal as the next person. However comparing a post that is composed of all caps or txtspk to my opening post in this thread, just doesnt work. Firstly, you can actually read my post without your eyes bleeding or having to resort to "The Idiots Dictionary of Txtslng". Secondly, I actually put more than a farts worth of thought into my posts instead of just hammering the keyboard with a locked expression of ecstasy, then jabbing the post button a few times.

Part of the original post was that people are getting a bit too heavy on simple mistakes, and given my original post really had nothing that wrong with it, maybe you should quit picking needless faults with a well meaning thread before I smear ya. *pumps arm*
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 02:30:03 pm by Uroboros »

Offline Mjavabean

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
    • Mjavabean's homepage
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 02:22:41 pm »
Satellites has a broad definition and a common (lay) usage definition... so the confusion is not a product of a mistake, but of communication.

Ha, I was the cause of all that (I didn't mean it, of course...)