Author Topic: If you could use magic...  (Read 15282 times)

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
If you could use magic...
« on: July 05, 2006, 09:33:34 am »
I started working on a short story a while ago that suddenly has become a long story, and I thought that the concept was interesting enough to warrant a topic. The basic premise of the story is that while it is set in the present-day, magic is commonplace and available to most anyone who wants it. Now, we're not on the level that is seen in some fantasy novels, as magic is mostly low-power and used for everyday things. I had quite a few ideas for how to implement the concept of simple, common magic into our mundane society, but I was wondering if anyone else wanted to contribute. It's actually quite an interesting thing to think about.

The question is: How would you use magic in your everyday life? Also, how could you see magic being used by society as a whole?

The kind of magic I'm talking about is generally simple, cheap, and is easily used. Ex: Lighting a cigarette with your finger, seeing in the dark, using telekinesis to tie your shoes, drying yourself off after a shower, calling minor spirits to assist you in simple tasks, stopping a wound from bleeding, contacting the souls of the dead, making a drink cold or hot at will, getting animals such as pets or livestock to obey you, creating your own dreams, using telepathy with someone you know well, etc... Feel free to be creative.

Also, these can be as serious or as silly as you want. The story already sits somewhere in the middle of these two extremes, so toss out anything you like.

There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline The Terminator

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I'll Be Back!
    • View Profile
Re: If you could use magic...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 09:38:47 am »
I would magically create money and send it to WWF, Cancer resaerch funds, Diabetes Research funds & send money to some funding program for poor people. AFter that, I'd make myself maybe 500 000, 00$. ENough to buy cool stuff but just the right amount not to get too much attraction.

The Giganommoths AKA THE OWNAGE!!!: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5817.0

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:35:24 am »
I would become a vigilante who ruthlessly seeks out and destroys people who use magic to counterfeit currency and destabalise the economy.  ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 10:42:24 am »
I'd summon an army of minor spirits (as you've called them) and send them out to spook people.

Offline Kenaz

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Now with 20% more blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:44:40 am »
Obviously I would use my magic to turn the t.v. on and off so I don't have to find the clicker. Duh.

Speaking of finding my clicker, I would use it to find lost stuff, such as my old wallet. It had 10 bucks in it too  :-\
"I thought Pink Floyd was a brand of grills." - 762
One of the many intellectual discussions in Gabbly Chat.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 10:54:12 am »
i would totally be a pyromancer...although my avatar is quite the opposite

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 11:03:41 am »
I would magically create money and send it to WWF, Cancer resaerch funds, Diabetes Research funds & send money to some funding program for poor people. AFter that, I'd make myself maybe 500 000, 00$. ENough to buy cool stuff but just the right amount not to get too much attraction.

As (semi)altruistic as that sounds, I'm pretty sure there would be an international law against that to save the economy. Of course, we would send this individual:

I would become a vigilante who ruthlessly seeks out and destroys people who use magic to counterfeit currency and destabalise the economy. ;)

To "reeducate" you on the importance of maintaining fixed amounts of currency. With a baseball bat.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 11:04:53 am »
Hell yeah! Lots of baseball bats. They hover around me and have semi-autonomy
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 12:28:18 pm »
I would use them for dark things.. Yees... Sith things..

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 12:30:37 pm »
According to some religions (Christianity, for example) using magic (or pretending to) is a sin. I'm sure you've already thought of that, but I think it would make for an interesting faction to oppose the magic users.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 12:32:48 pm »
I would use magic to heal wounds and magic up fairies and unicorns.
I would curse all Jehovah's Witnesses to they couldnt knock on doors.
Who am i kidding? Necromantic Evil FTW!
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 12:47:15 pm »
According to some religions (Christianity, for example) using magic (or pretending to) is a sin. I'm sure you've already thought of that, but I think it would make for an interesting faction to oppose the magic users.

I actually thought about that for a good while. In the story, people have the ability to conjure and speak with various spirits, both earthly and divine. Of course, this serves all kinds of purposes, not the least of which is pumping them for information about the various mysteries of the universe. Thus far, those beings have been mum on the existence of a higher power, mostly because they have to sign an NDA in the afterlife.

So, I figured that some religions would probably be against the use of magic and believing these "spirits", who they believe are demons. This is mostly because there's always gonna be somebody who wants to disagree with established practices, no matter what. However, other religions embrace magic and have made it a part of their doctrine. Basically, magic has always been around, ever since the first humans were instructed in it's use by various powerful mystical creatures in primordial times. So I figured that magic would have taken root in just about every single facet of society.

I know what I would do with magic. I'd make these keys type by themselves. Not only does it save my fingers, but then I could type as fast as I can think!

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 12:50:15 pm »
I MELT YOU FACE

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 12:58:41 pm »
I'd make myself disappear in fantastic ways. For example: Consumed by cold flames, until you eventually can't see me and the flames die down and I'm not there; a whirlwind that kicks up so much dust that you can't see me and I disappear; turn to water; start to crumple up like paper until I blow away in the wind; and my personal favorite, I start to raise about 10 feet off the ground, then light pierces through me (Kind of like the boss on the lava level of Star Fox 64 once you beat him). A strong wind encircles me for dramatic effect, then the light becomes so bright that you can't keep your eyes open. Then there's an explosion of light, and everything dies down.

What a way to impress the ladies.

By the way, did I use semicolons appropriately?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 02:59:06 pm »
create spore from thin air. duh.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.