Author Topic: Spore Mods  (Read 5893 times)

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
Spore Mods
« on: July 03, 2006, 08:37:58 pm »
yes there was already a topic named very similar but it is in a different context from what I am asking. anyway

For any modders out there what types of mods do you think you or someone else might make for Spore

As the game is already very advanced it may not even be possible or if possible very difficult.

I don't mod games myself but I was just wondering
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 08:48:19 pm by mccarty181 »

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Mods
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 08:50:58 pm »
Unless the game is set up to allow modding, any mods made for the game would completely disable or heavily limit its online features.

Offline Samog

• Karate Champ
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 08:57:45 pm »
There hasn't really been any indication that the game will be very moddable.

It isn’t MMOG

It isn’t modding

It is asynchronous sharing of content
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline ADP

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 09:06:45 pm »
The idea of modding Spore seems pretty moot.

If I had to guess, I'd say the editors, etc. could be continuously elaborated on by Maxis, and the depth of creature, etc. variety could continuously grow with the game's existence.

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 09:14:18 pm »
The idea of modding Spore seems pretty moot.

If I had to guess, I'd say the editors, etc. could be continuously elaborated on by Maxis, and the depth of creature, etc. variety could continuously grow with the game's existence.

This is pretty much what I thought I just wanted to see if any modders thought differently
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 12:10:50 am »
I'm hoping there won't be modding, or doing so prevents you from uploading anything.  The problem I had with content in the Sims was a lot of stuff wasn't very good and would cause problems.  I don't want download content if people are going to be able to make their own types of appendages and things that didn't come standard with the editors.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline The Terminator

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • I'll Be Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 12:31:35 am »
yes there was already a topic named very similar but it is in a different context from what I am asking. anyway

For any modders out there what types of mods do you think you or someone else might make for Spore

As the game is already very advanced it may not even be possible or if possible very difficult.

I don't mod games myself but I was just wondering

I doubt that the'res going to be mods.

The Giganommoths AKA THE OWNAGE!!!: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5817.0

Offline 10-Neon

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 01:21:09 am »
While the game is put together so that people will have an overpowering reason to mod it, there are still quite a lot of modders out there that will do it just because they can. Think of all of the "maybe in the expansion" material that is brought up that could be achieved with some proficient editing of existing systems. The modders will see that potential and will try to make it happen.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate." -The Resteraunt at the End of the Universe

Offline OrdoSanguis

• Adventure Ace
  • Ahoy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 01:23:51 am »
The only thing even near to modding that I could think of would be the download of creatures from other players, manually. Like enter a username and then it automatically downloads their stuff. That would be pretty cool, IMO.

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 02:21:39 am »
To the doubters.  There WILL be mods.  All my friends said the original Civilization couldn't be modded till I did it.  Turned Militia into Tanks :P  Been modding since Ultima III and I see no reason why some clever person couldn't mod Spore.  The thing will be how a modded game would react to the pollination system in Spore.

Edit:  I tell a lie... I've been modding since the C64 version of Rolling Thunder came out :o
Book, book, book

Offline metranisome

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 03:45:19 am »
if there is any beyond the boundaries of possible someone will mod it!

personally i think the mods will be similar to the Sims 2, ranging from normally unusable options that exist for the debugging uses to the changing of the menu screens to personalize everything! maybee even user created expansions as in the Sims 2

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 09:09:16 am »
Okay then, to clarify, ANY game can be modded if you're stubborn enough to keep at it. I was talking about clean-cut and safe modding that doesnt kill your computer every time you run it. :3

The thing is, when you mod games that have online components, things get crazy. If you modded a behaviour file, all things associated with it wouldnt be allowed to upload. If you modded a simple parameter in an editor, or a simple value for say.. how many resource units you get from a farm.. then everything made in the editor, and the farm, wouldnt be allowed to get uploaded. They wouldnt pass integrity checks, and if Spore cant upload decent-sized parts of your civ, it will likely just give up on your guys altogether.

Thing is though, mods can be fun and all, but I always avoid them if it has to do with a game that doesnt really support mods. Imagine downloading content, only to get an error message because you dont have the right expansion pack installed? Thats frustrating, right? Well mods take this to another level. Plus there is the problem that you can only really find out if a mod is reliable, when you install/run it. Mods in unsupported games have this notorious habit of messing things up, and given that there is an online component that will likely involve an accountname and password, there isnt a cat in hells chance i'll be running foreign programs with it.

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 11:18:08 am »
Okay then, to clarify, ANY game can be modded if you're stubborn enough to keep at it.
To further clarify, any piece of software can be modded and was the point I was trying to make :)

The thing is, when you mod games that have online components, things get crazy. If you modded a behaviour file, all things associated with it wouldnt be allowed to upload. If you modded a simple parameter in an editor, or a simple value for say.. how many resource units you get from a farm.. then everything made in the editor, and the farm, wouldnt be allowed to get uploaded. They wouldnt pass integrity checks, and if Spore cant upload decent-sized parts of your civ, it will likely just give up on your guys altogether.
Not necessaraly.  A mod can be local to a machine and not be uploaded.  An example of this is the invisible walls mod for Sims 2.  A player modified a text file on their machine which got parsed by Sims 2 to form the catalogue in build mode.  You simply modified a parameter for the definition for the wall and it made them invisible.  When you uploaded a house containing the invisible walls, depending on how you did the mod, the walls would change to solid or they would not upload as part of the house.  Downloading and installing would make normal walls or no walls at all.  If WW designs the creature parts catalogue in the same way, we could change certain parameters for the parts, such as cost, and the effects would not be seen on anyone elses computer but yours (again, if it is done correctly)

Thing is though, mods can be fun and all, but I always avoid them if it has to do with a game that doesnt really support mods. Imagine downloading content, only to get an error message because you dont have the right expansion pack installed? Thats frustrating, right? Well mods take this to another level. Plus there is the problem that you can only really find out if a mod is reliable, when you install/run it. Mods in unsupported games have this notorious habit of messing things up, and given that there is an online component that will likely involve an accountname and password, there isnt a cat in hells chance i'll be running foreign programs with it.
I run as few mods as I can.  In Sims 2 I run a modded wall catalogue which allows me to construct walls on uneven ground and under odd shaped floors.  It has no effect on any houses I upload as this is a normal feature of the game, it just wasn't included.  All houses I have built using these walls has worked perfectly on other computers.  I'm not disagreeing with you on this one as I will not try to mod Spore straight up, I will learn as much as I can about its opperation and judge each mod as it comes (I'm definately not the worlds best modder lol)  This is of course unless I create the mod myself in which case, I will do most of the testing myself.  Of course Spore could be like Battlefield 2 in that the pollination server could check for modded content on an installation and not allow access if it finds some.  On the other hand, it could be like Sims 2 in that any mod will be uploaded to the exchange and when downloaded, will install on other computers.

It all depends on how the mods are implemented :)

Enough ramblings *puts straight jacket back on and gags self* ;D
Book, book, book

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 12:50:52 pm »
If WW designs the creature parts catalogue in the same way, we could change certain parameters for the parts, such as cost, and the effects would not be seen on anyone elses computer but yours (again, if it is done correctly)
Yes, but 'correctly' is the key word here. I also dont want to have powerful items with stupidly low costs hanging around either, or instant-kill vehicles, which could easily be done if such modifcations are allowed. Now this doesnt sound so bad, but if they actually allow these things to be seeded around, its only a matter of time until you face a civ who has a neverending supply of resources, buildings that appear instantly and with a cost of "1", and weapons that destroy you on first hit and with unerring accuracy/homing ability. This is why I dont expect to see modded content being allowed.

Of course Spore could be like Battlefield 2 in that the pollination server could check for modded content on an installation and not allow access if it finds some.
Thats what im getting at.

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 02:41:16 pm »
If WW designs the creature parts catalogue in the same way, we could change certain parameters for the parts, such as cost, and the effects would not be seen on anyone elses computer but yours (again, if it is done correctly)
Yes, but 'correctly' is the key word here. I also dont want to have powerful items with stupidly low costs hanging around either, or instant-kill vehicles, which could easily be done if such modifcations are allowed. Now this doesnt sound so bad, but if they actually allow these things to be seeded around, its only a matter of time until you face a civ who has a neverending supply of resources, buildings that appear instantly and with a cost of "1", and weapons that destroy you on first hit and with unerring accuracy/homing ability. This is why I dont expect to see modded content being allowed.

Right on.  Also, I don't trust others to do it "correctly".  I imagine they could just have a filter on each game that makes sure any downloaded content is valid before using it.  And if something fails, everything from that user is blocked in the future.  :P
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."