Author Topic: Insight  (Read 13704 times)

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Insight
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:38:15 pm »
These aren't really questions about the game, rather some ideas about certain aspects of the game.

Breeding
Someone asked before if it's possible to mate 2 creatures to create a third species.  I'm sure if that was a feature in the game it would have been emphasized in the demo like all of the other major aspects.  But think about it: if a human mates with an animal it doesn't create a third species...that would be like skipping thousands of years of evolution.  And if they do have some cross-breeding feature in the game how would you go about executing it?  The larger creatures just want to eat you, and if you somehow manage to breed with a weaker creature you just get an overall weaker creature in return.  I just don't see any benefits in this.

Gameplay Speed
I was wondering, since there are other competing species on the planet, can they evolve quicker than you if you take too long?  What I mean is, If you spend large amounts of time editing your creature, and just goofing off, is it possible that the other species colony could become highly advanced and destroy you before you have a chance?  Or do you think the other species will evolve at the same rate you play...

Space Travel
This sounds really cool in theory but I'm not really convinced by the screenshots.  Will the player be able to fully control the UFO and just free-roam?  Or will you simply click on a planet to visit and the UFO flies there by itself?  Another cool concept would be having space wars with several planets (I can still dream  :-\).

Oh yeah and you think the architechture or your city/vehicles will influence the design of your UFO?  Or can you custom edit the UFO as well...  We could have cube shaped UFO's like the Borg  ;).  Just too bad we wouldn't be able to assimilate other creatures, although that would certainly make for a great expension pack- assuming they don't actually use the phrase "assimilate" or "borg" to avoid copyright infringements...

Aquatics
Somebody asked (on the podcast I believe) if you can keep your creatures amphibious throughout the whole game...Well I was thinking about this alot and I noticed Steve mentioned in his podcast that all of Will's creatures had legs, but the render of various creatures on the front page shows a shark-type creature...And remember how you can build cities underwater via bubble?  What if you can have amphibious creatures that live underwater in bubbled cities like the Gungan species of Star Wars?  And regarding space travel, does anyone else remember that the Xindi Aquatics (Star Trek) were amphibious creatures but still flew around in spaceships?  These are all really wild ideas but interesting.

Humans & Reproducing
I wonder how the game's engine will handle humanoid creatures.  Think they'll be pretty accurate, like have our general speed and dexterity?  I was planning on making some human-like creatures at first but then I realized the color engine would probaby make them look wild, not to mention how creepy it would be to see two humans with no private parts humping each other.  I guess the creatures in this game don't actually have sex though, since that would involve desiging both a female and male creature, or at least designating an organ for reproduction....

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
Re: Insight
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 02:19:08 am »
remember who is publishing the game... they do love expansion packs.  I bet you anything theres a spacewars expansion, or a RTS (more features) expansion.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Covak

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 06:45:26 am »
Breeding - In Spore, what's it matter who's doing the mating?  In the end you get an egg to make a new species, so two humans or a human and an giraffe, what's the difference? :)

Gameplay Speed - The AI may not evolve at all.  There's been talk about how the server will catagorize all player-created content.  So whenever it needs creatures at a certain level of development, predators or prey or whatever, it may just grabs something new off the server.  So as you evolve you're automatically up against other peoples' creatures at similar levels of development.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 07:26:02 am »
People keep bring up the EA influence in this game, but I don't think it's really there all that much. This seems more of Will's child to me. just my 2 cents.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 08:00:40 am »
I believe that Will said somewhere in his speech that you could cross-breed.

Not certain though.
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 08:09:00 am »
Okay, I was at the session, and I have a good memory. Let me see if I can clear a few things up.

I don't remember Will Wright mention CROSS-breeding, but since each generation can be edited and mutated significantly, I don't see why it would be very helpful. It sounded as if your mating call was specifically for your own species.

Speed: He specifically stated that the game would 'fill in' your ecosystem with creatures from a central database. Later, he specifically stated he wanted to let players be as goofy or serious as they liked. Therefore, it seems likely that (A) there is no real 'time limit' on the game and (B) they will somehow categorize creatures by efficiency and style.

The space travel: although travelling on the surface (and far above the surface) of a world was shown, all the interplanetary and interstellar travel was shown as 'click and go'. Personally, I'm fine with that.

Aquatics: From a gameplay perspective, I would be a bit surprised if you could simply stay aquatic. There are some fairly serious balancing and UI issues involved with subaquatic cities.

Humans: He had a Care Bear in his demo, so it handles bipeds.

-Craig

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 08:12:05 am »
I don't see why it couldn't handle bi-peds, I mean if it can handle something with several dozen legs.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 08:14:25 am »
Hey there craigp, where were you in the room? I got suck on the floor (as many of you know) right next to the screen showing the gameplay. Damn that room was freaking crowded.

But everything you wrote is correct...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 08:18:02 am »
When I read through the review on GameSpot I got the feeling that if you where hooked up to the database than it would just automatically download the creatures it felt you needed. Does this sound kinda right?

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 08:19:13 am »
Hey there craigp, where were you in the room? I got suck on the floor (as many of you know) right next to the screen showing the gameplay. Damn that room was freaking crowded.
Heh heh, I wasn't as lucky as you. I was about twelve people from the front of the line, and got stuck in row four or five. How you got front row is beyond me. :P

-Craig

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 08:25:43 am »
Heh heh, I wasn't as lucky as you. I was about twelve people from the front of the line, and got stuck in row four or five. How you got front row is beyond me. Tongue

Actually if you sit on the floor you can sit in front of the first row (or anywhere else there is room). The only problem is ... you need to sit on the floor! Usually I try to either sit in the very front or on the floor, I would rather have a good seat than sitting in back and not seeing anything.

Last year when it was super-insane crowded at GDC I needed to sit on the floor for many events, so I am a floor sitting expert!

One funny story, last year when I saw the Game Design Challenge and I had to sit on the floor Dave Perry from Shinny was sitting right next to me. Which is only funny because 1) I would think he could get a seat, 2) he's like 6 foot 10, so he could not have been comfortable.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 08:43:26 am »
One funny story, last year when I saw the Game Design Challenge and I had to sit on the floor Dave Perry from Shinny was sitting right next to me. Which is only funny because 1) I would think he could get a seat, 2) he's like 6 foot 10, so he could not have been comfortable.
We were right up front in line (I was fourth until people like you started cutting... ;) ) so we got to hear a lot of the 'holy ****, that's quite a line' comments. We saw a lot of big names slog by towards the end of the line. And a lot of not-so-big names sidle up with a 'hey, thanks for saving me a spot, buddy!'

I guess big names are above that sort of behavior. :)

Will Wright hung out at the VERY front of the line for about five minutes, which gave tons of people an excuse to merge not-so-subtly into the line. A good time was had by all.

-Craig

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 10:48:33 pm »
gaming speed- you got to know that there are still contries were humans live and dont have metal buildings, bikes, cars, guns anything

Offline Huasat

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 01:28:11 am »
Somebody asked (on the podcast I believe) if you can keep your creatures amphibious throughout the whole game...

There is a clue to a possible answer in a previous Maxis/Will Wright game; Sim Earth. Sim Earth was in many ways kinda similar to Spore, including having different types of sentient beings. In Sim Earth, the sea based orders of life; molluscs, radiates, fish, ceteceans; could only evolve to intelligence when they migrated inland into a swamp. The theory given in the manual is that intelligent, tool-using life could only start when the beings could create a fire - underwater, that's just not a possibility. I'm not sure if I personally agree with that, but that's what Will Wright seemed to believe back then and possibly still does now.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 05:19:52 am »
In answer ro solidmetals question, as I recall from the gamespy article, you can design the spaceship, just like you would design a building or creature.
Carebears humping? Thats such a disturbing thought, whoops, there goes my childhood innocense.

Offline Quantum

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • "I'm just a bean trying to get some sleep..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 02:22:01 pm »
In answer ro solidmetals question, as I recall from the gamespy article, you can design the spaceship, just like you would design a building or creature.
Carebears humping? Thats such a disturbing thought, whoops, there goes my childhood innocense.

*twitch*

no... NO!!!!!!    BRAIN BLEACH!!!   NOW!!!!  STAT!!!!

*twitch*
--Quantum

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 02:44:24 pm »
 :o ¿泐!?!?!?! 

§!!!!!!!!!!

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 06:48:48 pm »
heh I know a guy who wrote carebear an fiction (22 years old at the time).
His way of them mating was that their tummies glowed and bam theres another one lol...  Just thought I'd share.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005, 04:48:19 pm »
by the way i never meant that the game couldn't handle bipeds.  i just wonder if  they will walk like a human or wobble like Robosapien or some other freaky way.  since they must be using the same formula to calculate the walking method for 2-legged, 3-legged, 4-legged, etc. creatures there might be some kinks.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 08:25:03 am »
by the way i never meant that the game couldn't handle bipeds.  i just wonder if  they will walk like a human or wobble like Robosapien or some other freaky way.  since they must be using the same formula to calculate the walking method for 2-legged, 3-legged, 4-legged, etc. creatures there might be some kinks.
The Carebear had a rolling walk a bit like a Cowboy. But it didn't have any JOINTS in its legs.

-Craig

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 01:01:12 pm »
The Carebear had a rolling walk a bit like a Cowboy. But it didn't have any JOINTS in its legs.

-Craig

The first sentence made me laugh out loud, and the second shut me up. And I was skeptical of how this game would work... but that's pretty amazing. :o
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Wulf

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 09:40:12 pm »
I ponder if the creatures that can't walk at all still show some sort of try at it or if it just goes 'HUMAN ERROR! CANNOT WALK!'

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 07:46:00 am »
They'll probably just sit around and do nothing till they die :P
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Wulf

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 09:20:26 am »
You all know my first creature then.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 09:54:15 am »
Sorry, I got dibs on the first cube.

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 09:21:16 pm »

A society of wooden cubes that are seemingly incapable of movement or expression of any kind, and yet somehow they still dominate the hunter-gatherer phase, become the dominant society in the civilization phase, and take over the galaxy.

Wulf

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2005, 05:33:22 am »
I think they were a monster in Dungeons and Dragons.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2005, 09:59:16 am »
Gelatinous Cubes... they're in the starter pack I got about 5 years ago.