Author Topic: Space Ships, both NPC and Player-controlled  (Read 2042 times)

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Space Ships, both NPC and Player-controlled
« on: May 30, 2005, 10:49:31 am »
Firstly, has there been any indication that there will be other space ships populating the galaxy once you get to the UFO level? To me it seems that interstellar space is rather devoid of space-faring civilizations. I hope there will be lots of ships out there; I mean, every other stage was about competition and interaction… why not at the space level too?

Secondly, will we just be able to build a single space-ship, the UFO, that we do all of our work from... or can we build freighters to ferry passengers and carry ore from mining colonies back to manufacturing centers (travel in this case would be inside a star system)? Do we have to teleport colonies to a planet’s surface, or can we also send colony ships off to inhabit a new planet?

On a side note, can we build space stations?

Lastly, it seems the money that colonies earn is magically pooled (across interplanetary distances) into one fund to go towards upgrading technologies and our UFO tools. I hope this isn’t the case, that we could see the movement of trade ships, materials, cargo, and colonists… but then again Spore is supposed to be a very light game and most galactic civilization sims (why does Microsoft Word want me to capitalize “sims”?) have rather steep learning curves.

"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline whirlyboy

• Galaxian Guru
  • This will make you think.........
    • View Profile
Re: Space Ships, both NPC and Player-controlled
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 01:17:54 pm »
firstly: as far as i kno, u can only have your space ship in the universe of your game. i dont kno if u cud go online [if they added it] but if u cud, den i shud expect to c a lot more ships.

secondly: i think its only 1 spaceship. but if i think i understand wot ur sayin, then i saw in the beloved video that the spaceship the Wright used had a sort of laser, which wen shot on that planet created a city with a bubble over it. Anyone back me up?

thirdly: dunno. lol. he didnt really explain how they got their money did he?
The bananas in pajamas have come down the stairs. You have been warned.
http://whirlyboy.proboards59.com/index.cgi
My own Spore forum,please visit and join

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 03:41:12 pm »
You can only have one ship, and this isn't an MMO game so you won't see other ships.  However Will did say enemy species could destroy your planet, so that means they will have a UFO...so you should be able to see another ship...this hasn't been clarified yet though.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 09:34:51 am »
That's what I heard in the interview with Gaming Steve as well.. You won't normally be bothered by alien UFO's, but if you decide to blow up a species that's allied with another species, those other guys might come knocking at your door.. So I suppose there will be other UFO's.. There has been no clarification on wether there will be space battles or encounters in space.. It's still a long way away, so there's still a lot to speculate about..  :)