Author Topic: I am writing a book  (Read 14354 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: I am writing a book
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2006, 05:16:49 am »
Thanks Daxx. I'm pretty sure i can't afford an agent...

Your agent only gets paid if you sell a manuscript. He or she is granted a certain percentage of the money you make. So it's in their best interests to find clients they believe in and promote the bejeezus out of them. Trust me: My agent hasn't gotten any money from my work in a while.

Which is why he hates me now. :)

Although some of them charge a small fee for even considering you.

Those are ones to avoid. No reputable agent would charge you an initial fee - the ones that do are basically the ones who aren't confident in their ability to actually publish anything good, and so just make their money from submissions.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2006, 06:50:28 am »
Seems rather good. Keep it up.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2006, 08:02:32 pm »
Since I first posted, this has grown into something that can only be described as a monstrosity. I've divided it into 2 books now and I'm not even 10% done... plus I still am going to go back and add more to various chapters. Oh well.

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 08:34:33 am »
I thought the first chapter was really good and that the rest of the book has a lot of potential.  :)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 12:14:14 pm »
Ok, I'm gonna start a book.

It's vaguley based around a character like  me, failing life and becoming a Data Input Supervisor. You see, I saw a picture and wrote a short story, which was pretty surreal about a Data Input's Supervisor's commute to work. He has massive delusions of granduer like me, yet uis forced into a repetetive, boring life form whcih there is no rebellion. He tries to be moralistic and take teh higher-ground on issues but can't. He hates popular, professional, attractive people but wishes he could be one. It would follow him slow slide into the 'evils' of depressions and going a little crazy.

The first, 'Inspired draft' short story is here:

I am sat on a Park Bench, killing time. An inspiring epitaph for our civilization for the future; most cultures used time or kept time; we killed it. I sit on a cold bench, occasionally looking at a nearby group of giggling, gaggling girls, hoping they'll look over, knowing they won't. I shouldn't lower myself to it, but I am a man first and an intellectual anarchist second. Yes, that’s me, Intellectual Anarchist. Sounds pretty important, and it is. I am outside the system, free. I stare idly at my watch, and realize my duty comes near: the Daily Commute is about to begin!

I leave the idiotic proles to their leisure time, glancing idly at the giggling, gaggling girls hoping they're looking over, knowing they aren't. Onwards to my car, leaving the utterly pointless park to begin my utterly pointless commute which in turn leads to an utterly pointless job in which I change the world.

Ride your solitary car, creep across the gravel. Re-enforce you're insecure masculinity and drive HARD and FAST. Stare over at the woman in the car next to yours hoping she is looking over, knowing she isn't. Soon I too shall become a master of the sagely art of buying off-the-rack suits that look tailored, and on that day, I shall be a King. The road continues. I hold my consumer goods high and proud, deriving what meagre personality I can from my precise selection. Forwards, friends, forwards. Try your very best not to think about the dirty act of HAIL ERIS reproduction, and instead concentrate on a happy life of WATCHING THE GAME. Forget the complex political issues of your time, and instead decide which identical Football Team is indisputably better! Your vote doesn't matter. People who care are crazy. You know how the world works in your safe four walls, and safe is where you like to be. Look at the girls in the neighboring car, praying they'll look over, accepting they won't. Dream of having the glamorous life of the handsome and rich. Dream of being a wastrel prince of the modern day. The anarchistic dreams of your youth were a foolish by-product of Lack of retail therapy, and maturity has made your free slave an indentured worker. Eat your food and don't think about what it's doing to you because our marketing is good. Fear what you are told to fear, THEY must be right. People who disagree with you are insane, because you are sane. Grey is an illusion caused by under zealous white. Fanaticism is wrong. Religion is a weekend only pastime. You will like what we say is attractive. Don't go against the tide. Those who go against the tide drown.

Arrive at work. I am Data Input Supervisor, hear me roar! Dream about your receptionist's tight fitting skirt. Wonder grimly what you actually achieve in life. Contemplate the shotgun. Contemplate the razor. Contemplate the overdose, the rope, the fall, the quiet death in your sleep. Don't think about it: Depression should be kept away. Depressions is weakness in a world where happiness is only a daydream and a sweaty, undignified climax in a public bathroom away. Look once more at your secretary, hoping she'll look over, knowing she won't. Force small talk and settle down to letting paranoia be your only passion. Good morning Lemmings. We're doing all we can over here as well.

We'll see how it goes. It's difficult to communicate what I am aiming for, but we'll see how it goes.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2007, 04:19:21 pm »
It's actually pretty damn good in my opinion.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2007, 07:32:55 pm »
I like it. A lot.

You seem really talented! I love your style. It's very refreshing.

Keep at it!
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 09:29:18 am »
Keep at it. It was good.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 12:46:25 pm »
Thanks, it means a lot. I'm working on a few ideas for a rough plot and the like.

Also, sorry to Syphonbyte for hijacking his topic.....how goes your book of mammoth proportions?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:53:43 pm by Mr. Consideration »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »
very nice so far
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 04:24:59 pm »
"Reinforce your insecure masculinity and correct the grammar of other people's manuscript samples."

What you really need before you start is a good plan. Make sure you really, firmly know how things are going to go down before you start, or you might end up writing yourself into a trap or, worse, getting sick of it halfway through. Since this book seems to be heavy on one character's introspection, make sure that your Data Input Supervisor is someone that people will actually like, or no-one will want to listen to him.

Anyway, good luck. I don't think writing a book is something I'd be able to do.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2007, 11:21:39 pm »

BUT I WANT A /lurk BOOK.

Anyway, I haven't had to time to read Mr. Consideration text yet though I really want to. I am trying to write some small pieces myself though not novel sized, yet.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 10:29:38 am »
"Reinforce your insecure masculinity and correct the grammar of other people's manuscript samples."

What you really need before you start is a good plan. Make sure you really, firmly know how things are going to go down before you start, or you might end up writing yourself into a trap or, worse, getting sick of it halfway through. Since this book seems to be heavy on one character's introspection, make sure that your Data Input Supervisor is someone that people will actually like, or no-one will want to listen to him.

Hence me waiting a few weeks or even months until I can has out a more intricate plot. I imagine people will both like and dislike him, the important bit is them being fascinated by him, at the risk of sounding arrogant.

EDIT: Yawn, old ideas. I've been writing prolifically latley, and I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a magazine, or the means to find a magazine, or some other means of trying to get some short pieces published. I've written a lot of short, generally two sides or less pieces, and they've been very, very well recieved (By The Director of Education in York, no less.) and I'd love to take it a little further.

I might even share some of them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:06:54 pm by Mr. Consideration »