Author Topic: Spore Wish List (ideas and suggestions you want to see).  (Read 241615 times)

Offline A Securra

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Wish List (ideas and suggestions you want to see).
« Reply #600 on: March 10, 2006, 06:19:13 pm »
why are we dicussing the phisics of a black hole in the spore wish list thread?
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja!…Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 10, 2006, 06:35:27 pm »
'Cause black holes are cool. Duh.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline A Securra

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 10, 2006, 08:09:44 pm »
they r a hole in space. whats so interesting about that?
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja!…Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Offline Rhapsodian Blue

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 10, 2006, 08:17:06 pm »
If you're a student of astrophysics, then you must know that there is no proof of blackholes.

Actually, it's funny you mention that. There is a research project currently underway to image the shadow of our galactic core's supermassive blackhole, Sagittarius A  (again, assuming it exists).

Here's a link if anybody is curious.

Quote from: Shivore
All we know is that there are pockets of intense gravity that we can't visually observe any reason for.

Sounds like you're talking more along the lines of dark matter. Black Holes existed first theoretically, based on interpretations of relativity by Penrose and Hawking back in 1967 (granted, the history goes back further, but the modern incarnation of this theory began then). Astronomical surveys in the 90s observed intense gamma-ray / x-ray emitters, especially in the center of galaxies, that have been hypothesized as the feeding frenzies of black-holes, but that’s about as far as we’ve come.

Ironically, black holes do not have infinite gravity or anything simplistic like that. Rather, their gravity appears no more than what the star originally had *per unit distance greater than the original star’s surface from the core*.  If the surface was 13,000 km from  the core, standing this far from the black hole would not be any gravitationally greater. It’s only when you cross over the event horizon, which would have been located far deeper in the stellar body pre-nova,  that the run-away gravitational attraction takes effect.

they r a hole in space. whats so interesting about that?

Nothing, if you can explain what space itself actually is. Care to elaborate? :)

Seriously, however, I'm not 100% sure what all the facination is myself. Aside from that whole "laws of physics completely breaking down " aspect it's actually quite boring. I find neutron stars far more sexy. :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 08:23:26 pm by Rhapsodian Blue »

Offline LONE GUNNER3

• Intellivision Junkie
  • I WILL RULE ALL.as soon as I get Spore that is .
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 10, 2006, 08:29:07 pm »
I find neutron starsfar more sexy. :)

Hmmmmm,what are  neutron stars ?I kinda know but realy,I don't.
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one day l shall RULE the galaxy.And that day will be when Spore comes out :p

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rpg_man/Untitled-1.png

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #605 on: March 10, 2006, 08:31:04 pm »

More than you ever wanted to know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_Star

Offline Rhapsodian Blue

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 10, 2006, 09:46:35 pm »

More than you ever wanted to know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_Star

Yeah, they're bloody fantastic. They are responsible, we believe, for things like this: Brightest Galactic Flash Ever Detected

Here's a snippet:

A huge explosion halfway across the galaxy packed so much power it briefly altered Earth's upper atmosphere in December, astronomers said Friday.

No known eruption beyond our solar system has ever appeared as bright upon arrival.

But you could not have seen it, unless you can top the X-ray vision of Superman: In gamma rays, the event equaled the brightness of the full Moon's reflected visible light.

The blast originated about 50,000 light-years away and was detected Dec. 27. A light-year is the distance light travels in a year, about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion kilometers).

The commotion was caused by a special variety of neutron star known as a magnetar. These fast-spinning, compact stellar corpses -- no larger than a big city -- create intense magnetic fields that trigger explosions. The blast was 100 times more powerful than any other similar eruption witnessed, said David Palmer of Los Alamos National Laboratory, one of several researchers around the world who monitored the event with various telescopes.

"Had this happened within 10 light-years of us, it would have severely damaged our atmosphere and possibly have triggered a mass extinction," said Bryan Gaensler of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA).

Fun stuff...  To put this another way, an object about the size of a moderately large city emitted enough energy in seconds to have killed all life within 60 trillion miles. This is the distance you'd cover going back and forth between pluto and our sun 16,367 times (the distance from the sun to pluto is only 3,666,000,000  miles).

The atomic bombs in WWII only effected the diameter of cities..
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 09:58:10 pm by Rhapsodian Blue »

werechicken

« Reply #607 on: March 11, 2006, 09:58:13 am »
why are we dicussing the phisics of a black hole in the spore wish list thread?

very good point WHY are we discussing astrophysics in a game about evolution?
p.s. do you think the creatonists will love this game, I mean it is basically what that theory is all about; something/one guiding the evolution of a species

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 11, 2006, 11:19:51 am »

They're LGM(Little Green Men)! LOL, sorry I couldn't help myself... Astronomy joke.

Offline LONE GUNNER3

• Intellivision Junkie
  • I WILL RULE ALL.as soon as I get Spore that is .
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 11, 2006, 11:58:38 am »
I thought the brightes flash came from the relase of light from black holes?

Dont know why you would think that  ;).Nothing realy gets away from a BH,not even LIGHT it self.All gets sucked in  :-X.
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one day l shall RULE the galaxy.And that day will be when Spore comes out :p

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rpg_man/Untitled-1.png

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 11, 2006, 02:01:16 pm »

Dont know why you would think that  ;).Nothing realy gets away from a BH,not even LIGHT it self.All gets sucked in  :-X.

Actually a fair bit of light does escape the event horizon of a black hole, though most of it isn't in the visable wavelengths. Thats one of the main ways black holes can be detected. They spit out tons of x-ray.

Offline chaosandwalls

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Opening a new can of spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 12, 2006, 10:35:05 am »
1. The ability to go sentiant and get citys and ufos without leaving the water
2. Make a zoo where you can put your other animals and other peoples as well. And maybe someone elses creature will escape and call others of its kind to attack you.
3. Online. You can intereact with others people planets, not just their creatures on a planet in your universe. You would'nt be allowed to blow them up unless both civs declared war. You could form alliances and kill other people. Muhahahah!  ;D
               You could steal somebody elses creature and geneticly modify it it, give it back and see how they react to it
               While someone else civ is in single cell stage you could put an underwater city hidden somewhere. When they evolve and get ufos, they might become hostile and attack you. You could sneak up from the ocean and kill em all.Muhahahah! ;D
4. Bio-vehicles. You could geneticly modify your own people to be tanks or planes or boats or even space ships. This includes mounts. Bio vehicles can be other species that live on your planet or you took from another planet.
5. Mentioned above, Genetic modification. Kind of like evolving but only doing one of your kind. And with less limitations.
6. Different kinds of spaceship. Like a transport of science ship or warship. And they all should be customisable
7. Evolving even in ufo stage.
8. Different food sources. Like a parasite.
9. Stay in microbe stage for a while. Become a diesiese, kill all life on your planet and then evolve to become the one dominat species

I think 3 is the most important for me
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 12:52:32 pm by chaosandwalls »
There are 10 types of people in the world.

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline pinkpanther

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 12, 2006, 11:03:07 am »
just one:

Please don´t ruin it !

Im just a bit worried beacuse its such a big and brave project.
Well. at least im happy, that someone is courageously enough to try something like this and is not doing the 1. mio. Shooter.
I cant see shooters anymore - i hate them.

wishing you good luck,
Pinkpanther

P.S.: Will is a brave guy

Offline Rhapsodian Blue

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 12, 2006, 04:00:03 pm »

The term "brightest" is relative. In this case, it's not to say the magnatar released more than intergalactic gamma-ray burster, which are hypothesized to be the formation or feeding of black holes, but rather a statement of fact regarding apparent luminosity from the earth.

You're correct that - if modern theories are true - intergalactic black holes represent the most intense gamma ray flashes, assuming distance is estimated correctly. Gamma-ray bursters are pretty cutting edge cosmology, having only been noticed in the 60s and theoretically pinned down (loosely, mind you) in the last 10 years. 

In all honesty, modern science doesn't really know with any certainty what causes short and long gamma ray bursts. Evidence is mounting that supernovae are involved in some cases, but this can not explain all cases.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 04:02:46 pm by Rhapsodian Blue »

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 12, 2006, 05:14:21 pm »
yeh the earth cant be compressed enough because it doesnt have enough mass like stars

Very true, the density of the earth would be changed but the mass would stay the same (thus the gravity per unit distance would stay the same).

Funny though, you've exposed a hole in the blackhole theory that I never thought about. A large star - before a super (or hyper) nova - has a mass to small to collapse into a blackhole, otherwise it would. When it goes nova, it sheds mass via stellar gas ejections so - theoretically - it should loose mass, not gain it. If the mass doesn't increase then how does it go off the scale to become a blackhole? Humm.. I'm a student of astrophysics and I'm not sure about this one.

Not really. The heat and energy from fusion is pushing outward, keeping the star from collapsing. When it finally can't burn enough to keep that from happening, then kablam! Supernova and collapse.