Author Topic: Spore Wish List (ideas and suggestions you want to see).  (Read 241722 times)

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Spore Wish List (ideas and suggestions you want to see).
« on: May 30, 2005, 03:31:22 am »
This thread is for ideas and suggestions you would like to see implimented in Spore. They will be gathered together in one place in the hope that any feasibile ones (in the eyes of the developers) may get implimented. If it's just a straight forward question then please post it in the A Question a Day for the Devs thread. Any ideas that do get implimented will be moved to the FAQ thread.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 10:50:33 pm by Jayce »

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Spore Wish List
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 09:48:02 am »
Steve told me a while ago that you can place buildings wherever you want. Will probably just clicks so fast that it's hard to notice.

Yep, that's what I was told.

And good idea making the wishlist too. A couple of the things I said may have been wishes, maybe a bit -too- specific.
So what's a wish and what isn't? Wishing seems to me just some very specific wants from a game.
Like maybe something like "Can creatures that 'die' be medicated and revived?"
But not stuff like "Can I make a creature with a hundred legs in every direction so it can never fall over?"
Well, not that last one. That's just a bad question that's pretty much answered in the FAQ. How about
"How much population/how many cities can be built on one planet?" sounds more like a general FAQ thing.

Yeah, I'm a bit bored so I'm carrying on like that, but... those aren't real questions either. Just random stuff.
With your three examples I can kind of understand where the wishing part lies, but it sounds like you'll be trying to sort most of it out by yourself.
I'll go see if I can find some things and maybe I'll edit them here or PM you so you can have them in the top post.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 11:29:32 am »
What do we do with gas giants, can we mine them? Can airborne life arise there?
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 11:40:31 am »
If I name my city Istanbul, can I later change the name to Constantinople?

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 12:04:02 pm »
If I name my city Istanbul, can I later change the name to Constantinople?

thats no-ones buissens but the turks, bummbumbubmbmmbmbom

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 11:01:02 pm »
Uncrossable walls and wall-like objects. They're the backbone of my pit fighting ideas.

Pits, too, if possible. I definitely want cloning, and I believe it was implied that we can go back and modify other races via UFO.

Infantry and clothes-like objects. A helmet and some sort of tunic would work just fine for me.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Jennifer Reitz

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Jenniverse.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 02:38:57 am »
I can think of some basic things I dearly wish were part of Spore. These are the things that would 'make' the game for me.

1. I want to choose, right from the beginning of a game, whether or not to play purely 'sandbox' all the way, or to play 'mission based'. I am sure that the missions are vital for many players, who might be overwhelmed with what amounts to the ultimate sandbox. Many people lose direction unless given a point, a goal to reach. I, on the other hand, tell stories for a living. Stories are natural to me, I need no outside goals, and I often am happiest creating my own direction. I want the ultimate sandbox, right out of the box. It would be nice to be able to ignore, or if required, switch off missions in Spore. Give me the chance to play in this sandbox, as a sandbox, if I wish to.

2. I want to be able, once I reach the Galactic God level, to be able to enter any of the previous levels of play, on any world I have access to, and play from that point; in other words, if I want to visit a primative planet in my UFO, I can start as a single cell once more, go through all the levels once again, and evolve normally a new planet, which would then be part of my game universe, if I choose. I want to be able to play 'start over' without losing my existing game universe, or my original planet.

3. I want to be able to individually control one single creature of a species I have ownership (however that is defined) over and walk it around and have it interact as was seen in the tribal level, no matter how high up the ladder I go. In other words, I want to be able to use my UFO to pick up a member of a personally evolved species of mine, transport it to another world, and drop it down, then take 3rd person control of it and run it about interacting and adventuring on that world. I want to see what a single ambassador can do...walk into an alien city, hunt alien animals, and so on. I want to play Space Explorer, in a sense. I want to run from aliens, I want to be Klaatu investigating a world apart from my UFO.

4. I want to be able to 'be' one of my owned species in what amounts to a simplistic first person view. You perhaps rememer the brilliant 'Dungeon Keeper' game....it allowed the player to 'possess' any individual creature in the dungeon and act through their eyes: if they were tall, the first person view was tall, if short, the view was low to the ground, and with a press of a mouse button, the creature would dig or hit, and with the other mouse button they would walk. I would like to have the option to 'become' one of my own creatures and stroll through the city I just built, or take a walk on a planet, seeing and moving through the 'eyes' of that creature. I want to get the feeling of 'being there' for moments, to immerse myself, to see what they see as they toddle about. At the very least, I would like to have the option given in the game 'Startopia' where one could simply link to the view of an autonomous creature and see what they saw, first person, as they went about their business. I am not asking for a first person shooter, or builder here, all I want is the same thing that 'Dungeon Keeper' and 'Startopia' gave; a means to leap into the viewpoint of a native creature to see the world from a native eye. Nothing fancy or elaborate, just the option to go on walkabout.

5. I want to be able to make my planet entirely if I choose. I want to have the option to build every little thing: every plant, every tree, every insect, every animal, every fish, every single thing that makes up the biosphere....rather than depending only on the game to 'fill in' missing elements from the creations of others. In other words, I would like to make my planet entirely themed. For example, I could make a biosphere where everything truly followed one single design style: my own. If I made a 'living crystal' world, say, where all creatures and plants look abstract and geometric, I would not have to worry about anomalous green plants and earthlike trees popping into the mix, destroying the unity of the biology there. The reasoning for this is simple: I want my worlds to have the option of aesthetic consistancy.

6. I want the ability to specify that the creations of any player on my own, local household LAN, such as one of my spouses on one of their computers, would be given preference over the creations of the outside world in populating elements of my universe. In other words, what I want is to be able to be assured that I am likely to see the work of someone connected closely to me easily and commonly in my universe, without having to search for a planetary needle in a galactic haystack. A switch that stated "Would you like Local Content Preference Activated", as an example.

7. It would be very grand if, when one used whatever interface will exist to examine a given creature, plant, or city or tool, in whatever context, that the player who created it could be named in some way. For example, if I take my UFO, and I go to a planet, and I hold my cursor over the planet, and it says the name, and the conditions of the planet, it might also say, or have the option to say "Creator: Joe Blow". The same could be possible for a hut or a plant or an animal. I am not saying that the accreditation must always be there, but it would be interesting to have it be an option one could activate, so I could see the name, or the handle, of whoever made that weird spear I just gave my creatures. Maybe some people would gain fame in the Spore community as particularly good creators and creatrixes. Maybe one might see something made by a friend and go 'whoh! That was made by Will! Cool!"

Jennifer Diane Reitz
Jenniverse.com
Jennifer Diane Reitz

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 03:26:21 am »
yes Iwant we have little creature arenas too! just the fact that I could pit barny agenst a teletubby is a good :)

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 12:14:09 pm »
Some good ideas here, i'll let it run a bit before I update it.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 12:33:17 pm »
When I posted something yesterday about wiping out cities with genmodded creatures, I ended up with another question in the FAQ:
Can you wipe out cities so that there is 0 population but the city remains? What happens? Blah blah.

But then that begs another question. Here is what I said --

I'd love to find old, wiped out and empty cities in my travels. Hell, even a crust planet with no atmosphere but a cracked dome city would be interesting. Or even remnants of old cities when the planet was terraformed many years ago.
You know, ruins and stuff. I think it'd be cool.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 02:11:41 pm »
Ok, my wish list...

1) More than one space ship. Sorta like a space tanks... ;) This would imply large space battles.

2) Dynamic missions: Player made (?) or just really awesome computer generated missions.

Ummm, those are the only REALLY important things I would want.
Unimportant (but cool) aditions would be...

1) Culture control, like creating a leader in your tribe.
2) Control of one creature would be pretty great.
3) Planet editor.

That's all I can think of right now...
Silver_Kiwi

Offline Jennifer Reitz

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Jenniverse.com
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 02:17:26 pm »
I'd love to find old, wiped out and empty cities in my travels. Hell, even a crust planet with no atmosphere but a cracked dome city would be interesting. Or even remnants of old cities when the planet was terraformed many years ago.
You know, ruins and stuff. I think it'd be cool. -Gauphastus

Oh I very much agree. I would love to risk visiting a huge star on the verge of going nova, only to find an ancient planet with the ruins of a lost, dead civilization. Or ruins in the jungles of some forgotten world. Maybe the odd inexplicable artifact or tool scattered about. Or...a dead space hulk floating amidst the stars, the ruined UFO of another player who 'lost the game' uploaded to my machine as evidence of their passing.

Indeed, what if, when a player perishes in the game, they are memorialized by having ruined versions of their creations added to your galaxy? That would be interesting...perhaps all it would take would be setting a flag for 'ruined', then applying a universal texture of cracked and dessicated stone to every surface of their work, combined with eliminating all of their creatures. Then one would be left with 'fossilized' ruins, made so simply with an applied texture, and one could wonder about what manner of creature once lived there.

I doubt it would be done, but I think it would add greatly to the mystery and wonder of mucking about within a Spore galaxy.
Jennifer Diane Reitz

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 02:20:37 pm »
Yes, I would very much so agree to that.
Ruined cities or even civilizations would be great to see.
Maybe they could be tied into the missions other races would give you.

But regardless of that, ruins are a good thing... :P
Silver_Kiwi

Offline Sigma

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 04:16:13 pm »
I think aircraft can be modified for space flight, but anyways I like the ruins and abandoned planets idea, nothing like exploring those empty abandoned cities to add to the mystery of what lived there long ago.

Offline PurpleSyde

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 08:48:25 pm »
such as one of my spouses on one of their computers,

Out of pure interest, how many spouses do you have?  :-\