Poll

For the purpose of getting people to play, would you recommend this game? (don't vote if you haven't played)

Yes
15 (75%)
No
2 (10%)
I'm on the fence
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Conqueror!  (Read 9278 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Conqueror!
« on: July 01, 2006, 08:09:52 am »
This is in the Free PC Games thread, but it's not a game you can jump right into. So here's a topic for it.

It's a multiplayer territorial expansion game. It's similar to Rome, but it's much simpler and therefore, much less frustrating.

www.conquerorgame.com

• The red numbers in your province represent the number of armies you have
  • To move armies, you can either click the province you want the armies to move from, a) then shift-click the one you want to move to, or b) drag to the province you want to move to.
  • There are production types. You can see these types on the gray bar on the left side of your screen. You can change these by pressing the "change" button next to the production type. You can also speed up production by purchasing the production for the specified amount of gold under the "buy" button. They are
      Build Farms- Will increase the population of the province by 10,000 peasants. The more peasants you have, the more they can build in a turn
  • Advance Culture- Will help your peasants to build things more quickly
  • Build armies- Should be self-explanatory
  • Send diplomat- Will make the peasants in the province you send them to more loyal, along with all surrounding settlements[/li[li]
  • Build fortification- Will give you province a defensive bonus if attacked.
  • Levy Taxes- You will gain the specified amount of gold at the end of the turn
[li]The name of the game is to get as many territories as you can[/li]
[li]You will need to pay your armies in winter. The more armies you have, and the farther they are away, the more you have to pay them. You can see how much you have to pay them from the "info" button below the yellow box on the left side of the screen, along with your income.[/li]
[li]If you don't pay your armies in winter, they will desert you, which could leave you up **** creek.[/li]
[li]If there is no path from your capital to your provinces, then the armies in those provinces will desert in winter, which could also leave you up said creek.[/li]
[li]If you lose your capital, you lose control of your treasury and you will have no money and no way to collect money. This will screw you over in winter, but the same rule applies to your enemies, so go for their capital first. >:D[/li]
[li]There are rebellions, so make sure you either have garrison in your provinces or spend some money on diplomats to make them dedicated to you. The best way to make them dedicated, IMO, is to have garrison in there for a while then build farms and culture until they're happy. OTHER PROVINCES CAN REBEL TO JOIN YOUR FACTION, so I'd recommend spending some money on diplomats to make them want to be with you[/li]
[li]A province can support as many armies as the population of the province is. For example, if the province has 80,000 peasants, then 8 armies can be stationed there free of cost.[/li]
[li]Fortifications are a good thing, castles give you an additional 200% bonus to your defense. So if you have 10 armies in your province with a castle, it's like you have 30 armies there to defend. If you attack out of that province, though, you'd still only have ten.[/li]
[/list]

That's all I can think of right now, post your questions or comments on the game here so I can answer them, or just look at the help file on the top of the page.

Those are the quick and dirty rules, in order to get good you'll have to know more about the mechanics of the game. Have fun!

BTW, I misspelled one word in this whole post.

These are the actual instructions, for if you want to actually know how to play well: http://www.conquerorgame.com/help.html

IF YOU MAKE A GAME, CALL IT GAMINGSTEVE AND SET THE PASSWORD TO SPORE

This way, we'll all know what's going on. Oh, and make it an infinite time limit, with 1:45 turn limit.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 08:56:14 pm by 762 »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Conqueror!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 05:02:34 pm »
From what little I've played, it seems very fun. Especially when you get like 43 units in one province! >:D

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 05:41:36 pm »
What happened in the game that I left because Firefox froze?
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 05:51:08 pm »
What happened in the game that I left because Firefox froze?

That'll happen every so often. If it does, the game will still be up until everyone leaves the game, so you could have come back

Basically, Oviraptor was kicking Serbian ass, I was kicking Italian ass when Firefox froze forr me. Of course, Algiers took Tangiers and I couldn't get it back, so I was losing to them, too.
 :'(

We have another game going now. The password is spore
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 06:20:18 pm by 762 »

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 08:57:01 pm »
Double post? HELL YEAH!

A lot of people played a game that I made. I was Spain, Samog was Italy, Ovi was Russia, and there was some AI there as 7 other countries. Among these countries are Ireland, France, Greece, Egypt, Turkey, and the Netherlands. I wish it would provide a transcript of it, or some kind of GIF that shows what happened. It was intense.

This might be out of order or innaccurate:
We got to a respectible size, nothing too interesting. Then Samog started sucking at being Italy, so he quit and joined as Ireland. I then invaded France. I built infrastructure in France while still having enough money to support a sizable army. Then Italy's AI started not sucking, and somehow raised about 150 armies in one turn. I used a LOT of resources to take him out, but Vivec was being retarded and joined as Italy when I almost had them, and I wasn't about to stop. I brought in a sizable force from the north and wore down the army in his capital. Then i came in from the south and finished him off, and his hundred armies in his other provinces where reduced to armies of 6, 6, and 4. At this point, me and Ovi were at an arms race. We picked apart Greece, who had expanded into Germany and Eastern Europe, and declared a private non-aggression treaty for 20 turns. In these 20 turns, we pretty much destroyed everyone else on the map (Syphonbyte of Turkey and Samog of Ireland/England were the only ones doing kind of OK). Now I'm no idiot. I built up a giant army near Oviraptor's capital, and started making my path toward it. The score screen said that I had a total of 500 armies, Ovi had 200. I was one province away from crushing victory when... The server froze. Oviraptor admits that he would have lost, but Syphonbyte claims that he won because he controlled our holy land, Palestine.

Hehe, this game is good for my ego. ;D :P

Ovi, what was your account of the story?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 09:00:52 pm by 762 »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 09:03:28 pm »
Yeah, I think I expanded too slow initially, but there was no likely way for me to win. Oh, and you forgot to mention how I crushed SumGI, who was denmark, and then later again when he was Serbia. ;)

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
  • If those flies loose their eyes, we are in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 09:06:31 pm »
Yeah, I think I expanded too slow initially, but there was no likely way for me to win. Oh, and you forgot to mention how I crushed SumGI, who was denmark, and then later again when he was Serbia. ;)
Hey, I had to eat dinner and Flamester had Crete when I came back.  I was doing OK.
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 09:07:55 pm »
Soooo whens the next game gonna be up?
And GI why did you have to go and steal my capital?
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 09:08:27 pm »
Soooo whens the next game gonna be up?
And GI why did you have to go and steal my capital?
You stole it first.  Oh and I had about one province left  :-[
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 09:08:59 pm »
Hey i spawned with it.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 09:14:17 pm »
I took over all of Flamester's land except his capitol, then proceeded to sit around watching my armies die inexplicably. Then the game server crashed. I won anyhow because all the kingdoms were historically Christian but mine, and I controlled the holy land. I could've burned down all the Christian monuments and then instituted a Muslim theocracy if I wanted, but I had mercy and drew the line at complaining every Winter when my armies disappeared. Then 762 backstabbed me and attacked Tripoli but never made it past Egypt.

It was fun.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 09:17:30 pm »
Ok when is someone gonna start up another game?

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 09:42:48 pm »
Ok when is someone gonna start up another game?

Why don't you start one? Let's resolve to always have the game called "GamingSteve" and have the password always be "spore"

And second of all, I didn't stab you in the back, syphonbyte. I said that I was going to take Tripoli, you refused to withdraw your troops, so I went in anyway. And I could have destroyed you if I wanted to waste my turns, what with the whole "only 5 moves per turn" thing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 09:46:02 pm by 762 »

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 07:00:19 am »
I started a GamingSteve game ok guys. Eh, never mind, bad net.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:14:41 am by SumGI »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 08:37:14 am »
762, you might want to put this link in your first post: http://www.conquerorgame.com/help.html. Those are the instructions.

Offline The dome

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 08:43:54 am »
so, can you play as any european country or what?
Member 712

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 12:48:41 pm »
We just played another game and I won magnicifently.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 03:22:17 pm »
so, can you play as any european country or what?

It's set in Europe in the year 1000 AD. You chose the province that you want your capital to be, which is on the map. Then you expand as you like. The countries are kinda fictional, because it starts in any province. So you might control the Irish empire, or you might control the Flemish Empire, the Syrian, the Morracon, the Tunisian, the Serbian... So it's fake empires based off of real places.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 03:27:42 pm »
I would have won the most recent game, if that random province hadn't deserted me.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 03:38:48 pm »
I would have won the most recent game, if that random province hadn't deserted me.

They wouldn't have rebelled if you were better at the game.

:P

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2006, 09:18:55 pm »
I love nation hopping. I believe i played three seperate nations in one game and ran them all into the ground. Good times.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2006, 09:23:12 pm »
I love nation hopping. I believe i played three seperate nations in one game and ran them all into the ground. Good times.

Don't do that. If you actually screw up, then sure, come and join as a new faction. But don't deliberately run a country into the ground, because then it just lets less people play because there are less factions to play as. Also, review the first post again.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 10:40:45 pm »
frist post revied found server called gamingsteve password IS NOT SPORE spore or Spore.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 11:35:49 pm »

Don't do that. If you actually screw up, then sure, come and join as a new faction. But don't deliberately run a country into the ground, because then it just lets less people play because there are less factions to play as. Also, review the first post again.

He wasn't running them into the ground, I was. ;D

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 06:56:15 am »
Yay! In the game we played last night, DZ set it to end too soon, so the clock ran out and it was game over. I (as Muscovy) came in second. But for some reason, we stayed there, and we found that the game kept playing itself even though it was over (it kept repeating whatever our last production each city was). But then we found that when Flamester left and then rejoined, he could actually still play! So then we all left and rejoined as well. We played for a while longer (we stopped cause it was late) and by the end I was in the lead.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 02:48:20 pm »
I cant believe I didnt see this thread earlier. Well through the magic of gabbly I found out anyway. CDool game. 7 who ate 9 sucks at it though. Poor guy  ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 07:32:29 pm »
I cant believe I didnt see this thread earlier. Well through the magic of gabbly I found out anyway. CDool game. 7 who ate 9 sucks at it though. Poor guy  ;)

You'd be happy to know that after being spain a lot and getting tired of it, I'm about to kick some ass as Britain.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 08:59:22 pm »
that game's fun...i'll have to play it again some time

once i learn to play  :D
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 02:19:30 am »
i played it to yesterday...whit 4 of my friends...i saw a gamingsteve server while we where playing :P

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 02:37:40 am »
I thought it might be you... I was going to ask but I couldnt be bothered.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2006, 09:08:39 am »
Oh I almost forgot but yesterday I was attacking KS and winning then he went and switched contries after that i called him a coward and a Tea Sipping Brit and Vivic said that he would from now on call him a TSB too thats what you get for being a coward.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2006, 10:13:14 am »
Oh I almost forgot but yesterday I was attacking KS and winning then he went and switched contries after that i called him a coward and a Tea Sipping Brit and Vivic said that he would from now on call him a TSB too thats what you get for being a coward.

You're forgetting the part where I took your capital.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2006, 10:17:58 am »
Only one of them only one.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2006, 11:03:42 am »
It was only because I had trouble logging on so the AI took about three turns for me and made crappy decisions.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2006, 11:07:43 am »
Ok then One vs One ill send you the password.

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 12:15:40 pm »

I didn't actually do it on purpose. I just wasn't that good :P

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 01:09:54 pm »
i was on a game whit a friend o mine this day...i was the biggest country and my friend started of REAL bad surrounded by NPC`s...there was this other player who was real close to him and could TOTALLY help him...so we asked him and he did and then where where a prospering alliance....The lands grew together and he was in the middle of us two...then he backstabed us....attacking my friends land and trying to attack mine (i stayed suspicious whit him so i did defend my borders against him) so my friend was being overrun and i started to open fire upon him and trying to keep my other front intact and eventually he got a big blow cose my friend had a comback and i came whit like 50 units and then he left...making his land a AI land that was actually thougher then the guy who left cose the AI made like 15 units a day...eventually we defeated the AI and my friend had to leave...it was quite a battle

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 01:46:14 pm »

You're forgetting the part where I took your capital.

you're both forgetting the part where i got royally owned  :D
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 04:40:25 pm »
I'm sorry Celdur, but your story fails. Mine rocks more.

So, I'm peacefully expanding my borders, while making a bajillion farms and raising culture. Then Leng and Syphonbyte started making plans against me. (I don't think they were being serious, but whatever). I started all my awesome territories at building troops, and eventually I had about 70 in one spot, 50 right behind it, and 25 behind that. syph got his ass pwned, and I had all my people making gold to pay for winter. I surpassed the need for winter by faaar and proceded to pwn Syph's ass, but he left the game about a turn early. So then Krakow Sam and I sort of mutually betrayed each other, and Interitus and I would have kicked his ass too, because his capital was only 2 spaces away from my main troop builders. But unfortunately, the game ended too soon. I even screenshotted it.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 06:00:22 pm »
Sam turned on both of us, we struck with swift justice.  And that was only my second game ever, I'm proud of that!
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 07:53:58 pm »
I was never plotting against you Vivec, and in fact I never even said anything remotely like that, but okay. You still nearly beat me, but I left to go see fireworks with some people, so I retain my undefeated status. I messed that game up because I didn't have focus. I was trying to do 2 strategies at once which conflicted greatly.

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2006, 08:54:51 pm »
I severely pwned Lobster. I took over britain and the small corner of europe just south of it. I kept building farms and culture and then eventually gold. i started stockpiling gold like crazy, getting ready to invade Lobster (whom I had a border with) and then some n00b logs in as norway and tries to invade britain. So I started pouringtroops from my main countires (which were conveniently on the border with Lobster). i sent them up and around and completely destroyed Norway. After that, Lobster and i got into a sortof cold war where we started building up mass troops on our border. His countries had more pop than mine and same culture so I knew he'd pass me after a few turns, so I invaded from Norway and Sweden and my main countries on his western border. The western border was only 1 space away from his capital, but that country and his capital were his best countries. So I invaded from the north and west simultaneously. I managed to get his capital eventually but he fought me off back to my original position, where i proceeded to wear him down until winter came, where he lost most of his troops because he couldnt pay for them. Since i had stockpiled gold, i was fine for the winter so I slowly made my way back east, eventually pushing him back to Greece (he was originally in Genoa, north of Italy).

Good times :)

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2006, 10:10:58 pm »
I was never plotting against you Vivec, and in fact I never even said anything remotely like that, but okay. You still nearly beat me, but I left to go see fireworks with some people, so I retain my undefeated status. I messed that game up because I didn't have focus. I was trying to do 2 strategies at once which conflicted greatly.

Ming: If you help me take down Lobster, I'll help you kill Vivec.

Syphonbyte: It's tempting...

(for the record, I know you weren't serious)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2006, 12:12:52 am »

Ming: If you help me take down Lobster, I'll help you kill Vivec.

Syphonbyte: It's tempting...

(for the record, I know you weren't serious)

It was tempting to kill Lobster, actually.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2006, 02:21:11 am »
wel the guy who tricked me and my m8 was really wierd....while he was invading my friend i was trying to stop him and he whispered....stay out of this i like gup...and i thought WTF? u like him so u stab him in the back...so that was another reason why i kicked his ass

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2006, 01:18:51 pm »
So you were playing with your male friend and a female friend, and then one attacked the other even after an alliance because of a crush?

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2006, 05:28:14 pm »
There was no female playing

wel the guy who tricked me and my m8 was really wierd....while he was invading my friend i was trying to stop him and he whispered....stay out of this i like gup...and i thought WTF? u like him so u stab him in the back...so that was another reason why i kicked his ass
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2006, 04:05:08 am »
meh, all alliances are temporary, since the ultimate goal is to be the sole superpower, but whatever
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2006, 12:10:32 pm »
wel yesterday me and 2 friends where having ANOTHER alliance..(and this time there was no stranger innit :P ) so we conquered the whole world together...andthen we got bored so one of my friends attacked me :P so i teamed up whit the other friend and we destroyed him and then i tricked the one who didn't trick me ;D where al backstabbers :P

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2006, 01:19:31 pm »
Me and Vivec are playing if you guys want in

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2006, 01:21:21 pm »
No, Vivec is going to take a nap.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2007, 03:36:32 pm »
Not to necrobump, but...

the admin has made a lot of bugfixing/ server stabalizing/ speed improvements over the last year or so. It's better than ever, much more stable and faster, and I was wondering if anyone would like to play again sometime? If so, just post here and we'll set a game up. Thanks, and sorry for necrobumping.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2007, 08:42:16 pm »
This looks great, I'm surprised someone didn't suggest another game sooner.