Poll

For the purpose of getting people to play, would you recommend this game? (don't vote if you haven't played)

Yes
15 (75%)
No
2 (10%)
I'm on the fence
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Conqueror!  (Read 9281 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Conqueror!
« on: July 01, 2006, 08:09:52 am »
This is in the Free PC Games thread, but it's not a game you can jump right into. So here's a topic for it.

It's a multiplayer territorial expansion game. It's similar to Rome, but it's much simpler and therefore, much less frustrating.

www.conquerorgame.com

• The red numbers in your province represent the number of armies you have
  • To move armies, you can either click the province you want the armies to move from, a) then shift-click the one you want to move to, or b) drag to the province you want to move to.
  • There are production types. You can see these types on the gray bar on the left side of your screen. You can change these by pressing the "change" button next to the production type. You can also speed up production by purchasing the production for the specified amount of gold under the "buy" button. They are
      Build Farms- Will increase the population of the province by 10,000 peasants. The more peasants you have, the more they can build in a turn
  • Advance Culture- Will help your peasants to build things more quickly
  • Build armies- Should be self-explanatory
  • Send diplomat- Will make the peasants in the province you send them to more loyal, along with all surrounding settlements[/li[li]
  • Build fortification- Will give you province a defensive bonus if attacked.
  • Levy Taxes- You will gain the specified amount of gold at the end of the turn
[li]The name of the game is to get as many territories as you can[/li]
[li]You will need to pay your armies in winter. The more armies you have, and the farther they are away, the more you have to pay them. You can see how much you have to pay them from the "info" button below the yellow box on the left side of the screen, along with your income.[/li]
[li]If you don't pay your armies in winter, they will desert you, which could leave you up **** creek.[/li]
[li]If there is no path from your capital to your provinces, then the armies in those provinces will desert in winter, which could also leave you up said creek.[/li]
[li]If you lose your capital, you lose control of your treasury and you will have no money and no way to collect money. This will screw you over in winter, but the same rule applies to your enemies, so go for their capital first. >:D[/li]
[li]There are rebellions, so make sure you either have garrison in your provinces or spend some money on diplomats to make them dedicated to you. The best way to make them dedicated, IMO, is to have garrison in there for a while then build farms and culture until they're happy. OTHER PROVINCES CAN REBEL TO JOIN YOUR FACTION, so I'd recommend spending some money on diplomats to make them want to be with you[/li]
[li]A province can support as many armies as the population of the province is. For example, if the province has 80,000 peasants, then 8 armies can be stationed there free of cost.[/li]
[li]Fortifications are a good thing, castles give you an additional 200% bonus to your defense. So if you have 10 armies in your province with a castle, it's like you have 30 armies there to defend. If you attack out of that province, though, you'd still only have ten.[/li]
[/list]

That's all I can think of right now, post your questions or comments on the game here so I can answer them, or just look at the help file on the top of the page.

Those are the quick and dirty rules, in order to get good you'll have to know more about the mechanics of the game. Have fun!

BTW, I misspelled one word in this whole post.

These are the actual instructions, for if you want to actually know how to play well: http://www.conquerorgame.com/help.html

IF YOU MAKE A GAME, CALL IT GAMINGSTEVE AND SET THE PASSWORD TO SPORE

This way, we'll all know what's going on. Oh, and make it an infinite time limit, with 1:45 turn limit.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 08:56:14 pm by 762 »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Conqueror!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 05:02:34 pm »
From what little I've played, it seems very fun. Especially when you get like 43 units in one province! >:D

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 05:41:36 pm »
What happened in the game that I left because Firefox froze?
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 05:51:08 pm »
What happened in the game that I left because Firefox froze?

That'll happen every so often. If it does, the game will still be up until everyone leaves the game, so you could have come back

Basically, Oviraptor was kicking Serbian ass, I was kicking Italian ass when Firefox froze forr me. Of course, Algiers took Tangiers and I couldn't get it back, so I was losing to them, too.
 :'(

We have another game going now. The password is spore
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 06:20:18 pm by 762 »

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 08:57:01 pm »
Double post? HELL YEAH!

A lot of people played a game that I made. I was Spain, Samog was Italy, Ovi was Russia, and there was some AI there as 7 other countries. Among these countries are Ireland, France, Greece, Egypt, Turkey, and the Netherlands. I wish it would provide a transcript of it, or some kind of GIF that shows what happened. It was intense.

This might be out of order or innaccurate:
We got to a respectible size, nothing too interesting. Then Samog started sucking at being Italy, so he quit and joined as Ireland. I then invaded France. I built infrastructure in France while still having enough money to support a sizable army. Then Italy's AI started not sucking, and somehow raised about 150 armies in one turn. I used a LOT of resources to take him out, but Vivec was being retarded and joined as Italy when I almost had them, and I wasn't about to stop. I brought in a sizable force from the north and wore down the army in his capital. Then i came in from the south and finished him off, and his hundred armies in his other provinces where reduced to armies of 6, 6, and 4. At this point, me and Ovi were at an arms race. We picked apart Greece, who had expanded into Germany and Eastern Europe, and declared a private non-aggression treaty for 20 turns. In these 20 turns, we pretty much destroyed everyone else on the map (Syphonbyte of Turkey and Samog of Ireland/England were the only ones doing kind of OK). Now I'm no idiot. I built up a giant army near Oviraptor's capital, and started making my path toward it. The score screen said that I had a total of 500 armies, Ovi had 200. I was one province away from crushing victory when... The server froze. Oviraptor admits that he would have lost, but Syphonbyte claims that he won because he controlled our holy land, Palestine.

Hehe, this game is good for my ego. ;D :P

Ovi, what was your account of the story?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 09:00:52 pm by 762 »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 09:03:28 pm »
Yeah, I think I expanded too slow initially, but there was no likely way for me to win. Oh, and you forgot to mention how I crushed SumGI, who was denmark, and then later again when he was Serbia. ;)

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
  • If those flies loose their eyes, we are in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 09:06:31 pm »
Yeah, I think I expanded too slow initially, but there was no likely way for me to win. Oh, and you forgot to mention how I crushed SumGI, who was denmark, and then later again when he was Serbia. ;)
Hey, I had to eat dinner and Flamester had Crete when I came back.  I was doing OK.
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 09:07:55 pm »
Soooo whens the next game gonna be up?
And GI why did you have to go and steal my capital?
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 09:08:27 pm »
Soooo whens the next game gonna be up?
And GI why did you have to go and steal my capital?
You stole it first.  Oh and I had about one province left  :-[
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 09:08:59 pm »
Hey i spawned with it.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 09:14:17 pm »
I took over all of Flamester's land except his capitol, then proceeded to sit around watching my armies die inexplicably. Then the game server crashed. I won anyhow because all the kingdoms were historically Christian but mine, and I controlled the holy land. I could've burned down all the Christian monuments and then instituted a Muslim theocracy if I wanted, but I had mercy and drew the line at complaining every Winter when my armies disappeared. Then 762 backstabbed me and attacked Tripoli but never made it past Egypt.

It was fun.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 09:17:30 pm »
Ok when is someone gonna start up another game?

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 09:42:48 pm »
Ok when is someone gonna start up another game?

Why don't you start one? Let's resolve to always have the game called "GamingSteve" and have the password always be "spore"

And second of all, I didn't stab you in the back, syphonbyte. I said that I was going to take Tripoli, you refused to withdraw your troops, so I went in anyway. And I could have destroyed you if I wanted to waste my turns, what with the whole "only 5 moves per turn" thing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 09:46:02 pm by 762 »

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 07:00:19 am »
I started a GamingSteve game ok guys. Eh, never mind, bad net.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:14:41 am by SumGI »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 08:37:14 am »
762, you might want to put this link in your first post: http://www.conquerorgame.com/help.html. Those are the instructions.