Author Topic: Games in Guinness  (Read 6019 times)

Offline Kenaz

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Now with 20% more blue!
    • View Profile
Re: Games in Guinness
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 10:14:26 am »

Peter Molyneux was so big only because started Bullfrog which is one of my old time favorite Game studios.

Did you ever get around to playing Populous: the Beginning by Bullfrog? I used to love that game back when I was really young.  :)

"I thought Pink Floyd was a brand of grills." - 762
One of the many intellectual discussions in Gabbly Chat.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 10:25:54 am »

Peter Molyneux was so big only because started Bullfrog which is one of my old time favorite Game studios.

Did you ever get around to playing Populous: the Beginning by Bullfrog? I used to love that game back when I was really young.  :)

Warning you are quoting out of context which can be misinterpreted by outhers.

Anyway yes i have play Populous. All 3 games. I am a big Bullfrog fan and believe that Peter Molyneux is 1 of the 3 big visionaries designers in the computer game biz. (The other two are Sid and Will)
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 10:29:57 am »
you should watch on the movies web site, lot of good movies there made whit that game...that was the coolest part of the game

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 10:36:47 am »
1) Will Wright, because he can take boring concepts and make them an assload of fun. Virtual dollhouse? Who the hell would want to play that? He designed it in such a way that a couple million people would, including myself.

2) Peter Molyneux, because he has great ideas but he can't make them as much fun as they seem. Being a god was alright for a while, but it didn't sustain me, especially not in the second game

3) Sid Meier, because I don't know that much about him other than that he made Pirates! and SimGolf, so I can't say much.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 10:37:30 am »
you should watch on the movies web site, lot of good movies there made whit that game...that was the coolest part of the game

Actually i have done that now for a few day. The Movies looks more and more intersting. It also a typical game for me. (Even if I'm really a hardcore gamer that play's anything with the exception of Sports games.  :P )
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 11:28:17 am »
1) Will Wright, because he can take boring concepts and make them an assload of fun. Virtual dollhouse? Who the hell would want to play that? He designed it in such a way that a couple million people would, including myself.

2) Peter Molyneux, because he has great ideas but he can't make them as much fun as they seem. Being a god was alright for a while, but it didn't sustain me, especially not in the second game

3) Sid Meier, because I don't know that much about him other than that he made Pirates! and SimGolf, so I can't say much.

I might put Sid ahead of Peter. Sid made Civilization. But then again, I don'know much about Peter. ;)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 12:04:12 pm »
I would not even try to rank those 3 considering their all very skilled developers that admire each others work.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 12:08:34 pm »
Sid also made Sid Meiers pirates, a game I still enjoy.

For all it's bugs Black and White 1 was fun.. Black and White 2 looked to be even more fun, but removal of gameplay elements, as was mentioned, making you more a "mayor" then a god, decrease in types of creatures.. it all really ruined it for me, I think Black And White 2 was on my computer for a whole week.

The Monies is okay in concept, but it still has it's limitations. Granted people can pull off very entertaining movies with these limitations but it doesn't feel like a "game". That also didn't last very long.

Populous 3 and Dungeon Kepper 2 (never played the first) I loved though.

And do not the Creature series beat Black and White when it comes to character complexity? Those characters did not only have a complex neural net but also gens and body chemistry.

I disagree I played Creatures 3 right up until they  scrapped the company.  Creatures seemed more similar to The Sims 2. In both behaviour and genes.  For me the creatures in Black and White 1 were much more interesting, and quirky.  But if I can compare Creatures 3 to The Sims 2,  then Creatures 3 was definately ahead of it's time in it's day.

My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 12:30:01 pm »
And do not the Creature series beat Black and White when it comes to character complexity? Those characters did not only have a complex neural net but also gens and body chemistry.

I disagree I played Creatures 3 right up until they  scrapped the company.  Creatures seemed more similar to The Sims 2. In both behaviour and genes.  For me the creatures in Black and White 1 were much more interesting, and quirky.  But if I can compare Creatures 3 to The Sims 2,  then Creatures 3 was definately ahead of it's time in it's day.
You may  have played more of creatures then i did. Mainly play Creature 2. But thought it was very intersting and that you could do some very extream stuff with you Norms. I have even seen peeps creating immortal super intelligent Norms. For me it look more impressive then B&W. But Titans in B&W is Definitely more complex then B&W 2.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 01:29:59 pm »
i think miyamoto should be in there to he made alot of great games and is as ugly as the rest

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 06:30:11 pm »
i think miyamoto should be in there to he made alot of great games and is as ugly as the rest

Well the easy reason why Shigeru Miyamoto should not be on the list is because he do not make games for Computer but Consoles. But even if we take in to account of all types of electronic games I'm not sure. I will admit that I'm not a big Consol fan in general but i think that Will, Peter and Sid have done games that are more groundbraking and varied.

(But he is definitely in the top 10 with others giants like Richard Garriott)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:32:05 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 06:39:47 pm »
You are putting Peter Molyneux above Shigeru Miyamoto?

I am going to have to call foul on that one... I mean... come on!

Donkey Kong
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros.
Star Fox
Mario RPG

Heck! 1080 Snowboarding!!

There is a reason he was the first inducted into the AIAS Hall of Fame.

*EDIT*

Oh, a neat little fact, Sid Meier was the second inductee to the AIAS Hall of Fame and Will Wright was the fifth.

Here is the complete list...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIAS_Hall_of_Fame

Mr. Molyneux is on there too!

I just have a bad taste in my mouth from all the overhyping he does... I mean... he does get a little ridiculous and he has done it more than once so I can't believe what he says any more.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:45:34 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 06:46:07 pm »
Didn't Iwata create Kirby? Or was that just HAL altogether?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 06:47:22 pm »
Iwata is credited for it but that was back when he was in HAL so you can give it to all of them if you want.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2006, 01:54:20 am »
Well first Shigeru Miyamoto have mainly work as a produsers and director and not a designer. And like i said before I'm not a console fanatic.

Sure games like Donkey Kong where big. (Really big!) But I'm not imprest with that game and well the only two games that you metion I'm really imprest with are Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons