Author Topic: Games in Guinness  (Read 6018 times)

Offline ADP

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Games in Guinness
« on: June 30, 2006, 01:45:49 am »
[pages offline]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:06:49 pm by ADP »

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Games in Guinness
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 01:47:39 am »
What am i looking at?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 02:40:19 am »
thats a lot of records..btw they only watched at the ps2 xbox and cube whit best sold console games...thats kinda sad

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 03:06:18 am »
The B&W 2 record is a load of bull (aha!). The creatures in the first game had more complex AI than their sucessors did. B&W 2 was dissapointing in the extreme.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 07:26:02 am »
The B&W 2 record is a load of bull (aha!). The creatures in the first game had more complex AI than their sucessors did. B&W 2 was dissapointing in the extreme.

I agree. Moving sliders to tell your creature how you want it to act is not the most complex system I've ever seen.

Also, I would like to go to Ft Lauderdale. 1200 arcade games spanning multiple buildings? Lets have a GS field trip!

Everquest has a higher GDP than some small countries.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 07:44:37 am »
And do not the Creature series beat Black and White when it comes to character complexity? Those characters did not only have a complex neural net but also gens and body chemistry.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 07:50:26 am »
Yeah that B&W stuff is bull...

Actually the whole game is bull... I hate Peter Molyneux...

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 08:03:45 am »
I like Peter Molyneux but B&W2 really disported me. One was less a God more a Mayor. What i like about B&W and populous where the miracles you could proform to solve the problems. B&W2 you magical abilities where so limited. Yeah is good that i have a army now and can build a city (or base whatever) but can i not do that in almost every game RTS like game? Even in B&W i could plan the city somewhat.

And why was Fable so freaking easy? Why not try to add a little depth?

But i have tested the new The Movies Demo and I'm starting to like that game so maybe Lionhead can better them self. It hard to believe that Peter Molyneux was so big only because started Bullfrog which is one of my old time favorite Game studios.

(But do not trust anything Peter Molyneux says. He Hypes a game unbelievably well. I think is because he believes so mush in his game and is not a conscious act.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 08:06:42 am »
The last good game moleneux made was dungeon keeper. I have yet to see a game which matches its awesomeness. (DK2 sucked big time)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 08:13:30 am »
Did Moleneux really do that mush work on DK2?
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 08:24:29 am »
Here was my gripe with B&W2.

I played the whole game as a good god. If anyone has played it then you know being good aligned takes a LOOOONG time!

So I get to the last level and what happens? The good spirit guy, the guy who advocates peace and is against fighting INSISTS that the only way I can finish the game is by building an army....

Wait what? Yeah! I was supposed to be able to play this game the way I wanted and I wanted to play the game as a good god! That means no armies and no aggression!

And then in the very last level I am forced to make an army (And not a little one, a HUGE one!) to finish the game.

I quit the game right there.

I am cursed with never being able to get to the end of a B&W game.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 08:27:10 am »
I have The Movies, it's a little boring after doing the same thing over and over 10 times, while trying to keep your stars out of trouble.

And I would highly recommend varying movie types between different script-star ratings and having more than one movie in production at a time. Having an awesome lot helps a lot, because then your scientists research faster. I have CGI graphics in 1961

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 08:28:49 am »
Ahhah!

I didn't like that game because there was too much micromanagement. There also were not enough people to hire and the lot was too small.

Plus I don't like watching the same scripted sequence time after time for hours on end.

;)

It was an okay game though.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 08:29:33 am »
Here was my gripe with B&W2.

I played the whole game as a good god. If anyone has played it then you know being good aligned takes a LOOOONG time!

So I get to the last level and what happens? The good spirit guy, the guy who advocates peace and is against fighting INSISTS that the only way I can finish the game is by building an army....

Wait what? Yeah! I was supposed to be able to play this game the way I wanted and I wanted to play the game as a good god! That means no armies and no aggression!

And then in the very last level I am forced to make an army (And not a little one, a HUGE one!) to finish the game.

I quit the game right there.

I am cursed with never being able to get to the end of a B&W game.
Well i admit i never had that problem. B&W1 and 2 are one of the few game i allways like to play EVIIILLLLLL!!! Is so fun to try to figure out more ways to be even more evil.  ;D
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 08:30:38 am »
It would have been awesome if the game didn't define what was evil and what was not... but that may be asking a bit too much.

Offline Kenaz

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Now with 20% more blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 10:14:26 am »

Peter Molyneux was so big only because started Bullfrog which is one of my old time favorite Game studios.

Did you ever get around to playing Populous: the Beginning by Bullfrog? I used to love that game back when I was really young.  :)

"I thought Pink Floyd was a brand of grills." - 762
One of the many intellectual discussions in Gabbly Chat.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 10:25:54 am »

Peter Molyneux was so big only because started Bullfrog which is one of my old time favorite Game studios.

Did you ever get around to playing Populous: the Beginning by Bullfrog? I used to love that game back when I was really young.  :)

Warning you are quoting out of context which can be misinterpreted by outhers.

Anyway yes i have play Populous. All 3 games. I am a big Bullfrog fan and believe that Peter Molyneux is 1 of the 3 big visionaries designers in the computer game biz. (The other two are Sid and Will)
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 10:29:57 am »
you should watch on the movies web site, lot of good movies there made whit that game...that was the coolest part of the game

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 10:36:47 am »
1) Will Wright, because he can take boring concepts and make them an assload of fun. Virtual dollhouse? Who the hell would want to play that? He designed it in such a way that a couple million people would, including myself.

2) Peter Molyneux, because he has great ideas but he can't make them as much fun as they seem. Being a god was alright for a while, but it didn't sustain me, especially not in the second game

3) Sid Meier, because I don't know that much about him other than that he made Pirates! and SimGolf, so I can't say much.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 10:37:30 am »
you should watch on the movies web site, lot of good movies there made whit that game...that was the coolest part of the game

Actually i have done that now for a few day. The Movies looks more and more intersting. It also a typical game for me. (Even if I'm really a hardcore gamer that play's anything with the exception of Sports games.  :P )
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 11:28:17 am »
1) Will Wright, because he can take boring concepts and make them an assload of fun. Virtual dollhouse? Who the hell would want to play that? He designed it in such a way that a couple million people would, including myself.

2) Peter Molyneux, because he has great ideas but he can't make them as much fun as they seem. Being a god was alright for a while, but it didn't sustain me, especially not in the second game

3) Sid Meier, because I don't know that much about him other than that he made Pirates! and SimGolf, so I can't say much.

I might put Sid ahead of Peter. Sid made Civilization. But then again, I don'know much about Peter. ;)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 12:04:12 pm »
I would not even try to rank those 3 considering their all very skilled developers that admire each others work.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 12:08:34 pm »
Sid also made Sid Meiers pirates, a game I still enjoy.

For all it's bugs Black and White 1 was fun.. Black and White 2 looked to be even more fun, but removal of gameplay elements, as was mentioned, making you more a "mayor" then a god, decrease in types of creatures.. it all really ruined it for me, I think Black And White 2 was on my computer for a whole week.

The Monies is okay in concept, but it still has it's limitations. Granted people can pull off very entertaining movies with these limitations but it doesn't feel like a "game". That also didn't last very long.

Populous 3 and Dungeon Kepper 2 (never played the first) I loved though.

And do not the Creature series beat Black and White when it comes to character complexity? Those characters did not only have a complex neural net but also gens and body chemistry.

I disagree I played Creatures 3 right up until they  scrapped the company.  Creatures seemed more similar to The Sims 2. In both behaviour and genes.  For me the creatures in Black and White 1 were much more interesting, and quirky.  But if I can compare Creatures 3 to The Sims 2,  then Creatures 3 was definately ahead of it's time in it's day.

My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 12:30:01 pm »

I disagree I played Creatures 3 right up until they  scrapped the company.  Creatures seemed more similar to The Sims 2. In both behaviour and genes.  For me the creatures in Black and White 1 were much more interesting, and quirky.  But if I can compare Creatures 3 to The Sims 2,  then Creatures 3 was definately ahead of it's time in it's day.
You may  have played more of creatures then i did. Mainly play Creature 2. But thought it was very intersting and that you could do some very extream stuff with you Norms. I have even seen peeps creating immortal super intelligent Norms. For me it look more impressive then B&W. But Titans in B&W is Definitely more complex then B&W 2.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 01:29:59 pm »
i think miyamoto should be in there to he made alot of great games and is as ugly as the rest

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 06:30:11 pm »
i think miyamoto should be in there to he made alot of great games and is as ugly as the rest

Well the easy reason why Shigeru Miyamoto should not be on the list is because he do not make games for Computer but Consoles. But even if we take in to account of all types of electronic games I'm not sure. I will admit that I'm not a big Consol fan in general but i think that Will, Peter and Sid have done games that are more groundbraking and varied.

(But he is definitely in the top 10 with others giants like Richard Garriott)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:32:05 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 06:39:47 pm »
You are putting Peter Molyneux above Shigeru Miyamoto?

I am going to have to call foul on that one... I mean... come on!

Donkey Kong
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros.
Star Fox
Mario RPG

Heck! 1080 Snowboarding!!

There is a reason he was the first inducted into the AIAS Hall of Fame.

*EDIT*

Oh, a neat little fact, Sid Meier was the second inductee to the AIAS Hall of Fame and Will Wright was the fifth.

Here is the complete list...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIAS_Hall_of_Fame

Mr. Molyneux is on there too!

I just have a bad taste in my mouth from all the overhyping he does... I mean... he does get a little ridiculous and he has done it more than once so I can't believe what he says any more.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:45:34 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 06:46:07 pm »
Didn't Iwata create Kirby? Or was that just HAL altogether?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 06:47:22 pm »
Iwata is credited for it but that was back when he was in HAL so you can give it to all of them if you want.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2006, 01:54:20 am »
Well first Shigeru Miyamoto have mainly work as a produsers and director and not a designer. And like i said before I'm not a console fanatic.

Sure games like Donkey Kong where big. (Really big!) But I'm not imprest with that game and well the only two games that you metion I'm really imprest with are Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2006, 10:17:30 am »
You are putting Peter Molyneux above Shigeru Miyamoto?

I am going to have to call foul on that one... I mean... come on!

Donkey Kong
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros.
Star Fox
Mario RPG

Heck! 1080 Snowboarding!!

There is a reason he was the first inducted into the AIAS Hall of Fame.

*EDIT*

Oh, a neat little fact, Sid Meier was the second inductee to the AIAS Hall of Fame and Will Wright was the fifth.

Here is the complete list...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIAS_Hall_of_Fame

Mr. Molyneux is on there too!

I just have a bad taste in my mouth from all the overhyping he does... I mean... he does get a little ridiculous and he has done it more than once so I can't believe what he says any more.

dont forget metroid!!11

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 10:26:32 am »
Well he did not work on the original metroid.  :P

Anyway i take back my old comment about my doubt as a designer. He may actually have done a lot more work then what i taught from the beginning. I'm not to familiar with Japanese game production but it seem like producers and directors have a lot more influences in the design then in USA and Europe.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:06:29 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2006, 11:46:05 am »
If you like to read up on this kind of stuff, Wikipedia has a whole lot of very interesting articles.

And since these are more of a specialized topic most of the info is correct.

Also spellcheck.  ;)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2006, 11:54:08 am »
I did spellcheck.  :P
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2006, 12:01:55 pm »
Well he did not work on the original metroid.  :P

Anyway i take back my old comment about my doughs as a designer. He may actually have done a lot more work then what i taught from the beginning. I'm not to familiar with Japanese game production but it seem like produsers and directors have a lot more influences in the design then in USA and Europe.

Alright. Proofread.   :-*