Author Topic: A quick guide to roleplaying  (Read 47282 times)

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
Re: A quick guide to roleplaying
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2006, 07:08:57 am »

The rest is just bs trying to make it sound like you've got a justifiable logic behind it. If your primary statement is that it shouldn't be used because it isn't in Spore that's fine.

Uh, no, not BS. There is a justifiable logic behind it, and my arguments demonstrate that. Unless you want to refute each and every one, which you haven't. It's bad form to call something bullsh*t unless you're prepared to refute it.

And that most people who use it use it to godmode, because they don't. And that people should be able to explain or know how something works to be able to use it, because they haven't.

Yes, they do. How much RPing have you done? I've done this a lot, and I know what happens when you let noobs play with psychic powers. And, yes, they should have a basic idea of how it might work, otherwise who's to say it fits in the story? Even if it's some pseudoscientific crap, it helps other people to RP and that's the key point. Otherwise it really is just magic.

Just to focus on the first two quotes here. I feel like I have stated things that pretty well refute most of your reasons, you just seem to be ignoring them or saying it's irrelevant. If you want we can break it all down piece by piece from the beginning, but I'm really kind of tired of repeating myself and it's apparent neither one of us is willing to budge here on their stance anyway. As for the RPing thing, I've been doing it for a good ten or so years now. And one of my main beefs is with the fact you keep saying telepathy period is godmoding and bad. Which just isn't true. Maybe you've only had the unfortunate experience of playing with people who do use it that way, but that doesn't mean everyone who thinks telepathy is a good idea is bound to abuse it.

I don't really get the "telepathy is a way of working around communication problems" notion either. If it's going to be used then you have to figure people will devise ways to stop it just like any other form of communication. Like machines or devices that can jam or scramble messages or detect it, force fields that can block it. And if it's being used correctly it's likely to have a limited range or take a certain amount of concentration to actually use. You act like it's some all powerful godly ability that no one can stop, it just isn't.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2006, 07:16:07 am »
Telepathy is just such fuzzy word.

And to quote my self
You may not need go in to to mush detail on how things work however. If you severally limit how it works then it may be accepted without explaining how it works scientifically.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline The Terminator

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I'll Be Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2006, 08:15:05 am »
The big problem with telepathy isnt that it doesnt fit. Its that its a lame godmodish way of working round communication problems. Imprisoned by enemies and need to work out an escape plan? If you use telepathy they can hear you. Enemy jamming communications? Telepath it to your other ship. Its unworkaroundable.

Not all telepathic communications work the same.
#1.Some (Well in some movies/series (Star Trek: Voyager ) creatures can only read and share the thoughts of another being that has telepathy. And that is IF they want to share their mind.
#2. In others, some beings can read the minds of others just by thinking about it at anyplace and anytime which usually includes levatation of objects and crushing things with their mind. This is pretty god moddish (X-men)

I really don't find a problem with #1.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 08:22:06 am by The Terminator »

The Giganommoths AKA THE OWNAGE!!!: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5817.0

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2006, 08:41:43 am »
*stuff*

Since you're obviously not going to change your mind, there's not much point having this argument. Suffice it to say no-one has tolerated any psychic crap in all the RPs so far, and in anything I run this state of affairs will continue. I know that most all the other people who have been RPing here for a long time agree with me. Quite frankly we can do without little children running around screaming "i us my sykic pow3rzz on u, lolzorz!!!!!11oneone".

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2006, 09:02:07 am »
Why argue about it? Telepathy requires long winded explainations when, in this futuristic age, it would be totally pointless. We already have incredibly small microphones/speakers, so communication really wouldnt be a problem in that time. In Arcadia, however, no-one has thought to bring any communication devices.......Just Anti-Bird guns so far.

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2006, 09:16:25 am »
Redblood had nothing to begin with anyway.  :P
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2006, 04:43:18 am »
Why argue about it? Telepathy requires long winded explainations when, in this futuristic age, it would be totally pointless. We already have incredibly small microphones/speakers, so communication really wouldnt be a problem in that time. In Arcadia, however, no-one has thought to bring any communication devices.......Just Anti-Bird guns so far.

Dont worry, Liszt gave them all a communicator.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2006, 09:36:20 am »

Dont worry, Liszt gave them all a communicator.
Yeah i forgot to add that to may inventory.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline nuclearchinchila

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2006, 04:52:48 pm »
Can someone make a thread(or add to this one) for the basic rules/a guide to being a GM cuz I'd kinda like to start my one RP thread but I'm not quite sure how it should go.  It would be very much appreciated.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2006, 05:03:23 am »
Just a little Headway, im gonna start my own storyline-y thing soon.

Same time as Necromonicon, a threat but not Like Halcyon/ Necromonicon.

The SWU might be interetsed.....

ALL HAIL THE GENESIS CO-ALITION!! ALL HAIL CASMUT TSULL!!!

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2006, 03:37:06 am »
Can someone make a thread(or add to this one) for the basic rules/a guide to being a GM cuz I'd kinda like to start my one RP thread but I'm not quite sure how it should go.  It would be very much appreciated.

I will soon when I have time, if there's anything specific you'd like advice on please PM me for now.

Edit: FP updated with a guide to Power in the fanfic universe, and details of what's to come.

Edit2: FP updated with a partial GM guide!!

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2006, 04:22:04 am »
Any more requests?

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2006, 07:22:52 am »
There is a definition of "Wank". I request that is renamed.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2006, 07:30:09 am »
There is a definition of "Wank". I request that is renamed.

Why? That's what the word actually is, and the page linked to from the definition not only uses the word wank, it is titled "wank". The word is a widespread one in RP communities. I'm not really sure how it's possible to rename it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 07:31:52 am by Daxx »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2006, 03:06:51 am »
RULE # 42 - NO TIME TRAVEL!!!

It is impractical and i am sorry i even did that with my Nauceans. However i have been able to keep the technology away from other species and then ultimately take out the Nauceans. So in a sense time travel doesn't exist anymore except in lore. So no more time travel plz. It just makes things all mixed up and people get mad. Its better of without it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 03:09:00 am by Hydromancerx »