Author Topic: A quick guide to roleplaying  (Read 47365 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: A quick guide to roleplaying
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2006, 03:16:09 pm »
Well I suppose that'll work too :-\, ultra sonic it is

Thanks. :) I apologise if I sounded rude at any point, but I consider debating the issue to help the community out.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 09:17:30 pm »
But the ability to communicate Ultra sonic for example should be possible so thing that looks like telepathy is OK as long as it not really telepathy. But if someone have a creature that communicate in a unorthodox way that is hard to pick up by a other spices then that person should tell others how it works. This is best done as the creatures own Topic.

The key thing is that it should be ultra-sonic sound, and written as such, if it is. Ultra-sonic sound is still sound, and subject to the failings of the medium. Telepathy is magical and bad for RP in that it godmodes around any communication problems.

Seeing how my last argument didn't convince you I know this one won't either, but telepathy is not magic. And if it were to be implemented wouldn't be godmoding just because it was being used. Easy enough for people to device ways to prevent it, not the point. All I can say is that I've seen telepathy used in way more science fiction scenarios and based off of technology then some magical ability in a fantasy scenario. Same goes for telekinesis and most other forms of psychic ability. Not fantasy, sci fi. True there are instances of it to be found in fantasy as well, but overall it falls more into the realm of science fiction.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 01:52:54 am »
But the ability to communicate Ultra sonic for example should be possible so thing that looks like telepathy is OK as long as it not really telepathy. But if someone have a creature that communicate in a unorthodox way that is hard to pick up by a other spices then that person should tell others how it works. This is best done as the creatures own Topic.

The key thing is that it should be ultra-sonic sound, and written as such, if it is. Ultra-sonic sound is still sound, and subject to the failings of the medium. Telepathy is magical and bad for RP in that it godmodes around any communication problems.

Seeing how my last argument didn't convince you I know this one won't either, but telepathy is not magic. And if it were to be implemented wouldn't be godmoding just because it was being used. Easy enough for people to device ways to prevent it, not the point. All I can say is that I've seen telepathy used in way more science fiction scenarios and based off of technology then some magical ability in a fantasy scenario. Same goes for telekinesis and most other forms of psychic ability. Not fantasy, sci fi. True there are instances of it to be found in fantasy as well, but overall it falls more into the realm of science fiction.
The thing is that you need a reasonable Scientific explanation for us to except it. If you say is telepathy and do not give a explanation  then is magic in our world. It works without anyone knowing why and what is worse it works without anyone knowing what is limitations is. So suddenly the telepathy starts to read other peeps minds and intercept secret communications which to put it bluntly is imposable in world of Quantum Cryptography.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 02:44:02 am »
Furthermore, when people say telepathy, they invariably do not show its failings. They use it as a godmoding plot device. As long as it is used like that, it is wholly unacceptable.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 03:13:40 am »

The thing is that you need a reasonable Scientific explanation for us to except it. If you say is telepathy and do not give a explanation  then is magic in our world. It works without anyone knowing why and what is worse it works without anyone knowing what is limitations is. So suddenly the telepathy starts to read other peeps minds and intercept secret communications which to put it bluntly is imposable in world of Quantum Cryptography.

And I'm sure you all know exactly how things like time travel, teleportation, nano-technology, and intergalactic space travel work. There's also the whole advanced technology indistinguishable from magic thing. Go back into middle ages and show people something like a television set or digital video camera, then try to explain to them that it's technology and not magical. I think you individuals who are so opposed to the concept of telepathy are being just a wee bit hypocritical, and from what I've seen your only argument against it is: "We the majority don't like it and it's bad, people who use it are godmoders, so no one can have it." I understand where you guys are coming from, certain powers/capabilities need to be kept in check and not abused. It's the gross generalization I have a problem with, and the attempts to put reason and logic behind what's essentially a bias statement.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2006, 03:19:20 am »
And I'm sure you all know exactly how things like time travel, teleportation, nano-technology, and intergalactic space travel work. There's also the whole advanced technology indistinguishable from magic thing. Go back into middle ages and show people something like a television set or digital video camera, then try to explain to them that it's technology and not magical. I think you individuals who are so opposed to the concept of telepathy are being just a wee bit hypocritical, and from what I've seen your only argument against it is: "We the majority don't like it and it's bad, people who use it are godmoders, so no one can have it." I understand where you guys are coming from, certain powers/capabilities need to be kept in check and not abused. It's the gross generalization I have a problem with, and the attempts to put reason and logic behind what's essentially a bias statement.

You can't make that argument, because we have already said why it's irrelevant. Have you not read the whole reason why we don't like telepathy and all that crap? Have you not read this and other threads? Or are you just ignoring it? Of course we're biased (notice the -ed) against it! The simple and irrevocable reason that it's unacceptable is because it's not consistant with the story's universe. At all. Therefore, it doesn't belong. The mere fact that it pisses people off should be grounds for it not being included.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 03:31:17 am by Daxx »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2006, 03:21:34 am »
Yes i know the basics of Teleportation (Depending on which type),Nanotechnology and Even some of the basics theory's about FTL.

(FTL is however a Special case in Spore. FTL is a part of spore so technically it do not need any explanation as mentioned before. It just works.  :P)

Time Travel should not be use even if Hydro metion it.

You may not need go in to to mush detail on how things work however. If you severally limit how it works then it may be accepted without explaining how it works scientifically.

Any more questions?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 03:24:15 am by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2006, 06:57:36 pm »

You can't make that argument, because we have already said why it's irrelevant. Have you not read the whole reason why we don't like telepathy and all that crap? Have you not read this and other threads? Or are you just ignoring it? Of course we're biased (notice the -ed) against it! The simple and irrevocable reason that it's unacceptable is because it's not consistant with the story's universe. At all. Therefore, it doesn't belong. The mere fact that it pisses people off should be grounds for it not being included.

I've read most of them, and from what I've gathered you have absolutely no reason to have anything against telepathy other than the fact you personally don't like it and don't think it fits into the Spore universe. The rest is just bs trying to make it sound like you've got a justifiable logic behind it. If your primary statement is that it shouldn't be used because it isn't in Spore that's fine. Just stop trying to say it's magic and fantasy stuff, because it isn't. And that most people who use it use it to godmode, because they don't. And that people should be able to explain or know how something works to be able to use it, because they haven't.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2006, 07:15:21 pm »
Well, my Ptashki get a chip that intergrates into their brain in early ages, whichthey can use to interface with machinery and communicate.  They cannot, however, move machinery unless it is capable (like a car), an even then it is password protected. (Lol, I have to draw a Ptashek Brain Hacker). Also, I can not use it in single player plots (like Arcadia) because there is no one with a similiar chip, let alone programming.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2006, 02:23:45 am »
I've read most of them, and from what I've gathered you have absolutely no reason to have anything against telepathy other than the fact you personally don't like it and don't think it fits into the Spore universe.

Well done. Give this man a hand. That's precisely why it doesn't belong. It doesn't fit. The fact that I don't like it is secondary, and I don't quite know why you feel it's necessary to harp on about that all the time. It doesn't make my arguments any less correct. The fact is, it doesn't fit.

The rest is just bs trying to make it sound like you've got a justifiable logic behind it. If your primary statement is that it shouldn't be used because it isn't in Spore that's fine.

Uh, no, not BS. There is a justifiable logic behind it, and my arguments demonstrate that. Unless you want to refute each and every one, which you haven't. It's bad form to call something bullsh*t unless you're prepared to refute it.

And that most people who use it use it to godmode, because they don't. And that people should be able to explain or know how something works to be able to use it, because they haven't.

Yes, they do. How much RPing have you done? I've done this a lot, and I know what happens when you let noobs play with psychic powers. And, yes, they should have a basic idea of how it might work, otherwise who's to say it fits in the story? Even if it's some pseudoscientific crap, it helps other people to RP and that's the key point. Otherwise it really is just magic.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2006, 02:58:42 am »
The big problem with telepathy isnt that it doesnt fit. Its that its a lame godmodish way of working round communication problems. Imprisoned by enemies and need to work out an escape plan? If you use telepathy they can hear you. Enemy jamming communications? Telepath it to your other ship. Its unworkaroundable.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2006, 03:36:06 am »
Dont forget explanation three:
LoL I so scyentifik! I red theirs quantam entanlgemnet an that cud make them think in telepaty brain. Lol.

Downside: A creature which exploits quantum entanglement could only communicate with being who have entangled particles in their brain... and thats even more stupidly improbable than electric field manipulation.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2006, 03:40:46 am »
I don't think the first is telepathy at all, is it? And the second appears top reliy on action at a distance, which is nice. Heh. Krakow's hit the nail on the head with the third, though.

Let's just put an end to this. It doesn't belong, and it irritates people. No more telepathy.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2006, 04:26:33 am »
The Echin do communicate using electromagnetic waves. (Can also speak somewhat well normally and change color like a octopus to show moods.) But their are several limitations. First the Echin hate other electromagnetic radiation that they can pick up on their frequency band as it sound like noises or is just very annoying. Is not uncommon for Echin in worlds with high electromagnetic radiation levels to be deft to electromagnetic waves because of that. Most of those that travel to worlds that have lot of electromagnetic radiation use technology to block and sort the signal. Luckily for Echin which are a subjugated race of the The Ęthirans Empire it that The Ęthirans Empire do not usually use broodcast communication so the noise level in the Ęthirans Empire is a lot lower then other civilized world. To send signals the Echin use their larger mandibles  like organs to produse a electrical current. It also use to ignite the Hydrogen gas which makes the the Echin float in air. The Echin spew forth a small amount of this hydrogen and use it as a flame thrower but doing so is taxing and can leave the Echin without enough gas to hover.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2006, 04:30:27 am »
The Bloodmages of the Kaldri use biosonars to communicate with other creatures/Kaldri. The disadvantage of this is that it requires a lot of the Bloodmage's energy.