Author Topic: game movies....sigh  (Read 13649 times)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: game movies....sigh
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 12:10:26 pm »
Random battles are a staple of pretty much all rpg's.

But many of the better RPGs don't have them: Paper Mario, Chrono Trigger and Cross as examples.

c14dude

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 02:47:58 pm »
no random battles are a staple of CONSOLE rpg's, theres hardly any pc rpg's with them.

Personally i loved the super mario brothers movie it was entertaining.
and Silent Hill well you guys know how i whent on and on about that movie its the best movie i have seen all year so far.
and i think that the halo movie will be good because its gonna be made by the guy who did lotr so i dont see
how he can fail with such a big budget.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 03:03:21 pm »
Random battles are a staple of pretty much all rpg's.

Some games, however, have set battles that appear as random: ie. Paper Mario.
Exactly. Much better.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2006, 01:07:51 am »
Ah, golden sun... shame about the random battles, otherwise, one of the greats.

Too many things bugged me about Golden Sun.  The main character was completely mute - that may not be a problem in something like Zelda, or even Pokemon, but in an RPG like this, it was just completely stupid.  What was even worse, was in the sequel, you take control of one of the major characters from the first game, and then he also seems to go completely mute.

The game was also really bad for the illusion of choice.  Every 2 minutes someone would ask you a question that you could respond yes or no to, but you never really had a choice, you always had to do one or the other, no matter what you said the right thing would always happen anyway.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2006, 02:24:38 am »
That was annoying

"Give me the <important item>!"

yes/no

Yes: "Ha ha! Now I have item I need to <do something>!"

No: "Yoink! Ha ha! Now I have item I need to <do something>!"

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2006, 12:31:33 pm »
yeah that wasstupid...

"Will you SAVE THE WORLD?????"
"no" ''BUT YOU HAVE TO''
''yes'' ''yay''

anyways what if the lotr ppl name MC aragorn...then where screwed man...screwed

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Kenaz

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Now with 20% more blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2006, 04:44:48 pm »

What?  ???
"I thought Pink Floyd was a brand of grills." - 762
One of the many intellectual discussions in Gabbly Chat.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2006, 04:58:24 pm »
Too many things bugged me about Golden Sun.  The main character was completely mute - that may not be a problem in something like Zelda, or even Pokemon, but in an RPG like this, it was just completely stupid.  What was even worse, was in the sequel, you take control of one of the major characters from the first game, and then he also seems to go completely mute.
To say nothing about the clichéed plot. Seriously, what's the deal with JRPGs and having to collect various identical, yet differently coloured artifacts which inexplicably possess the power to save the world from evil?

The game was also really bad for the illusion of choice.  Every 2 minutes someone would ask you a question that you could respond yes or no to, but you never really had a choice, you always had to do one or the other, no matter what you said the right thing would always happen anyway.
This is another thing that seems to happen in all JRPGs. And most other RPGs, too, I guess.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2006, 02:08:08 am »

What?  ???

to ppl who made lotr are heloing to make the halo movie...anf if they cal masterchief(mc) aragorn...get it?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:12:28 am by Celdur »

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

gec05

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2006, 11:22:08 am »
I had to decipher that a bit, he's talking about the Halo movie. Speaking of which, Denzel Washington is rumored to be playing Master Cheif.

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2006, 12:49:39 pm »
I had to decipher that a bit, he's talking about the Halo movie. Speaking of which, Denzel Washington is rumored to be playing Master Cheif.

WTF? I hope someone in production acctually read the books, John 117 (Master Cheif) is a daywalker (only half ginger kid), not a black dude. If Morgan Freeman was a lot younger I'd suggest he play Johnson, but aside from that theres no need for famous actors, they need to use more unknowns.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2006, 08:38:13 pm »
I would give my soul for Katamari: The Movie!

Haha, ok just kidding. Or maybe not....

I really think game to movie adaptions are a bad idea....even with some of the super story driven games it's just too weird and hard to pull off.
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2006, 02:09:54 am »
Uh... I'm sorry, but why cant a black man play Master Chief? He never takes of his suit... he could look like anything under there.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2006, 03:29:33 am »
The books do say that he's very pale white, as he rarley takes the suit off.
Plus, if they're getting a famous actor to play him, chances are he won't have the suit most of the time..

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2006, 06:46:17 am »
That they're thinking of showing him at all out of the suit is a mistake as far as I'm concerned. I haven't read any of the books so don't know if who he is or what he looks like is ever actually revealed in there, but they never did in the games. To do otherwise in the movie just seems like it'd ruin a lot of the mystique and appeal surrounding the character. We as gamers didn't need to see the man behind the mask to love the guy, neither should the movie goers. Personally I'll have a hard enough time just adjusting to someone with a different voice. I'd have to agree though that if they absolutely must show him out of the suit, he shouldn't be a black guy. Or a woman.  :P
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.