Author Topic: game movies....sigh  (Read 13865 times)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
game movies....sigh
« on: June 25, 2006, 03:45:44 pm »
can anyone tel me al the game movies that rated higher then a 6? gues not... now there coming whit hitman.splinter cell and halo movie and i REALLY hope they make it good cose it could be really good movies if there in the richt hands... DAMN YOU UWE BOLL

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Re: game movies....sigh
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 04:20:18 pm »
Final Fantasy.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Kenaz

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Now with 20% more blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 04:37:24 pm »
It's all Uwe Boll's fault. His next target is Farcry.  :(

Silent Hill was okay though.
"I thought Pink Floyd was a brand of grills." - 762
One of the many intellectual discussions in Gabbly Chat.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 04:50:29 pm »
I thought that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was pretty good, but then again I have never played a Final Fantasy game in my life. Haven't seen Advent Children, but I heard that it requires you to have played the game to understand it. Though I still want to watch it.

I liked the Street Fighter movie, but that is just because it is comedy, unintentional.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 05:04:15 am by Cool AN »

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:52:50 am »
The first Mortal Kombat movie was at the very least, okay.  I thought it was pretty good.

Mortal Kombat Anhilation is similiar to the Street Fighter movie - so bad, cheesy and cheap that it's hilarious.  The amount of times people fall backwards and somehow land on a lone brick wall, the way they traverse the world in gladiator balls, they tried to include so many characters - many peoples favourites ended up being killed in seconds.  Even the fight scenes were bad, too much jumping and rolling in the air.  Raidens "un-saw-a-saw" scream near the start is unforgetable.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 11:03:06 am »
I thought that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was pretty good, but then again I have never played a Final Fantasy game in my life.

Spirits Within made me laugh, mostly because I was watching the show and could see what happens when you have an American and Japanese co-writing a flick. 'Cause at some point they realized that James Woods's character seemed to be making sense but was going against their whole 'we screwed up, peace, love, harmony RULE' theme -- and thus had to make him totally lose his ever-loving mind near the end. Much fun was had.

Haven't seen Advent Children, but I heard that it requires you to have played the game to understand it. Though I still want to watch it.

You should watch it. There's a half-ass re-introduction to the videogame's story at the beginning that won't really explain anything, but what's important is that the show is beautiful to behold.

And I'll tell you what made the first Mortal Kombat actually worth watching: Christopher Lambert as Raiden. That's all it needed. It could've been a show about Raiden having a picnic and writing crude poetry, and it would have ruled so long as it had Lambert in the role. :)

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 01:48:10 pm »
i played ff7 and say advent children...i dont understand ANYTHING of advent children but the fighting scenes where kinda cool

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 12:45:15 pm »
I never played a FF game in my life, and on top of that the subtitles were translated from Japanese by an unintelligent machine of some sort, but I still loved it!  ;D

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 01:07:30 pm »

Spirits Within made me laugh, mostly because I was watching the show and could see what happens when you have an American and Japanese co-writing a flick. 'Cause at some point they realized that James Woods's character seemed to be making sense but was going against their whole 'we screwed up, peace, love, harmony RULE' theme -- and thus had to make him totally lose his ever-loving mind near the end. Much fun was had.

It is a bit since I have seen it, so I can't remember everything.

You should watch it. There's a half-ass re-introduction to the videogame's story at the beginning that won't really explain anything, but what's important is that the show is beautiful to behold.

I will, but I don't know when.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 02:49:42 pm »
I liked the FF7 movie... that one guy had the FF level up as a ring tone... thats all I remeber  :D

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 01:55:16 am »
I liked the FF7 movie... that one guy had the FF level up as a ring tone... thats all I remeber  :D

not the level up but the winning a game...i like the chocobo song more thoug :P

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 06:15:14 am »
i played ff7 and say advent children...i dont understand ANYTHING of advent children but the fighting scenes where kinda cool

It's like a lot of serious anime in that respect: You're not meant to understand everything. In fact, the less you understand it, the more meaningful it is.

Basic Japanese storytelling philosophy.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 08:01:48 am »
alricht so i can just follow the bleach series now whitout seeing the first 1000 episodes cose im not suposed to understand it...yay

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 10:47:08 am »
alricht so i can just follow the bleach series now whitout seeing the first 1000 episodes cose im not suposed to understand it...yay

Exactly. But no, seriously, anime shows tend to start out simple enough: Here's the premise, here are the characters, perhaps fun times ensue -- only to have everything start falling apart nearing the halfway point of the series. It starts off slowly, a little weirdness or severe character trauma here and there. By the end of the series, you really haven't a clue what the hell is happening but you're enthralled by how much the character(s) you care about is suffering. So you keep watching.

Once it's over and done with, you go onto an online messageboard and post how brilliant the show was, how it featured the greatest story ever, and proceed to belittle anyone that questions whether it made any sense or not. To be fair though, I think Evangelion started this timeline and everything has simply followed it since then. I remember going onto the net following The End of Evangelion and watching as Japanese fans mocked American ones for not understanding it. What they didn't understand was that when the film was released over here, it didn't include the little booklet they got that explained everything -- though I've read it and can say without qualm that it still made very little actual sense, unless you know that its director lost his mind during production and the story was severely altered as his neurosis deepened.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 06:58:23 am »
If you took all the cutscenes from MGS games, that'd make a decent movie.  I'm half-joking.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!