Author Topic: The Science of the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy  (Read 3863 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
The Science of the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
« on: June 25, 2006, 06:21:40 am »
Worth a Read, Then a Re-Read.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0230008909/sr=8-1/qid=1151241507/ref=sr_1_1/103-7778307-9173400?ie=UTF8
I was just (by this I don't mean recently I mean that's all I was doing that day in borders) looking through borders, I started reading through it and opened up to a random chapter (Coincidently on Probablility) and thought "Wow."

Actually a really good book if you see it sometime.
(I've been meaning to post about it for a while)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 04:40:50 am by sgore »

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Science of the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:20:52 am »
Wait, so .... someone wrote a book trying to scientifically explain Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

:-\

I'm honestly not sure how to take that. Does it tell you why the bowl of petunias said, "Not again'?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 12:16:57 pm »
I wanted to post in here yesterday and my internets died!

Anyway!

I will buy a few copies of this! I love Hitchhikers Guide! You may be able to tell by my usertitle if you are one of the enlightened ones...

I hope this book explains my beloved Hoovooloo!

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 12:21:13 pm »
I'm honestly not sure how to take that. Does it tell you why the bowl of petunias said, "Not again'?

There's already an explanation for that.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 12:22:33 pm »

I would tell it, but it would take an awful lot of time. In short: Reincarnation has a strange sense of humor.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 05:10:57 pm »
Yeah, if he told you it would make reading the second and third books useless.

Funny how that works, eh?

Offline HordeOfDoom

• Fire Truck Driver
  • King of Soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 08:02:47 pm »
i've convinced my whole physics class 42 is the answer to everything. And on my math exam I wrote it as teh answer to a question I had no idea what to do for and my teacher gave me a mark for humour!!!:)
We Are The Horde. Resistance Is Futile.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 04:43:18 am »
i've convinced my whole physics class 42 is the answer to everything. And on my math exam I wrote it as teh answer to a question I had no idea what to do for and my teacher gave me a mark for humour!!!:)

Your teacher is irresponsible. He/She should have given you 0 for that question for not getting it right. Instead He/She is giving you the false idea that you can just coast through life vaguely referencing HHG2TG. Good Day Sir!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 06:52:38 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 04:58:28 am »
Instead He/She is giving you the false idea that you can just coast through life vaguely referencing HHG2TG. Good Day Sir!

What evidence Have you seen to the Contrary? ;)(Kidding)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 07:43:47 am »

Your teacher is irresponsible. He/She should have given you 0 for that question for not getting it right. Instead He/She is giving you the false idea that you can just coast through life vaguely referencing HHG2TG. Good Day Sir!

Agreed. One time, in Bio class, I couldn't think of the answer to a question on a lab practical. It said something like "What would you use to kill the non-resistant bacteria while preserving the resistant." The real answer was, of course, anti-bacterial stuff. That didn't cross my mind because it was far too easy, so I put "kryptonite." No hilarity points for me, no sir. Just a big, red line through the number and 70% on the lab.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 11:09:45 am »

Doh. I own the complete series. I need to go back and reread them all, I suppose. Haven't read a Hitchhiker's book for ... damn ... that long ... :(

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 05:47:58 am »
It definately feels like it's a one-time read for me too. Maybe book 1, it's easy enough to re-read, but after that....wow. Just too weird and often pointless. Which book was the man which it always rained on in? That was a great concept.