Author Topic: The Decline of Video Games  (Read 21398 times)

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
The Decline of Video Games
« on: June 23, 2006, 08:40:12 pm »
Games are on the decline, and many of us gamers know it.

If someone made a slideshow of ground-breaking games, it will go in the order from stuff like tetris, to mario, to mario 64, to half life...

But from the past couple of years, the only game that might slightly fit into this ground-breaking category is Wow... and it's really not the greatest thing ever.

Lets take Oblivion as an example, i went through that in less than five days. I don't regret uninstalling it. And its branded with one of the greatest games of the year.

Other small time, but yet fun games are entertaining.. but their value just downgrades after I finish them up. People are trying to expand the gaming industry, but what they are doing is not getting more gamers, but rather just a presentation of new technology. Spore sounds promising, but seriously, not all people like things like sims and as crazy as I might sound, I do not think that game will even have as much of an impact to my gaming life as to stuff like starcraft.

Now, I know a lot of you out there will disagree with me. Go ahead, I hope that one of you will convince me that gaming is what it use to be: a revolution and not just a fad.

I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
Re: The Decline of Video Games
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:43:05 pm »
Pirates! Remake
Battlefield 1942
Unreal Series

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 08:44:31 pm »
I mean, I didn't list all the good games, but what I'm saying is that it's on the decline. Compare BF 1942 to stuff like Ocarina of Time...

Offline DorianGarrick

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 09:12:00 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree with you. What happened to the likes of games like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment? Now we're stuck with garbage like Oblivion, which for some unknown reason garners millions of fanboys. The only way to put it into perspective is to compare Oblivion to being Tom Cruise, whom makes 20 mil a film and is worshipped by people, while absolutely amazing actors like Gary Oldman, ala Baldur's Gate, are given very little mainstream exposure.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 09:32:20 pm by DorianGarrick »

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 09:25:35 pm »
Battlefield 1942 is a much better, or at least much more fun, game than Ocarina of Time, if you ask me. It's all perspective. I personally don't see games declining at all, rather new game series are gaining popularity.

werechicken

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 09:46:38 pm »
Video games seem to be suffering from the same lack of originality as movies, although that being said nintendo and the PC still have a few pretty inovative things in the pipline

Offline h20

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 10:21:26 pm »
You forgot one thing: Mods.

Mods make up for the lack of originality out there. Lets see people try to mod a movie.

Offline cpugeek13

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 10:29:26 pm »
Video games are becoming more commercial. Look at huge producers like EA who work more on a by the book business model than one that welcomes change and innovation in their games. Though, you can't blame them. Modern games cost a fortune to make because of everything thats expected now. You have to pay a whole studio of artists to make the models and textures in games, have to pay voice actors for dialogue, and have to pay for a lot more advertising than even a few years ago. Because of rising costs, less risks are taken with new and innovative ideas. The only reason someone like Will Wright can make a game like Spore is because he has a reputation of making good, innovative games. Unfortunately, a lot of new studios with new ideas are finding it hard to find producers willing to take the risk.

Oh, i just the post about mods. I think the golden age of mods has gone. Mods are becoming increasingly hard to make, especially with new graphical advancements. I also think that people expect too much from mod teams and that there is an incredible amount of pressure for an amateur mod team to make a proffesional quality mod. BF1942 had a lot of mods. Of course, only a select few were memorable, but it had quanity at least. Now, i look at, say, the mod community for HL2 (which i am involved in). Basically, if your mod doesn't look as good or better than hl2, it gets looked down upon tremendously. Because of the need for near-proffesional artists, many hl2 mods don't get further than the design stages. 

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 11:01:06 pm »
I think that all this talk about videogames declining and sales going down is the coincidence of several different things, such as World of Warcraft being played by so many people that they don't buy other games, thus resulting in overall fewer sales, and also that we are in the summer "lull" and few games are being released, and also that it is a lull between generations of consoles. If there wasn't a decline in sales this post probably wouldn't of even been made...

Offline cpugeek13

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 11:26:03 pm »
Sales going down? Whos talking about that? More people are buying video games now than ever before. From what i understand, we're talking more about a decline in quality.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 11:34:04 pm »
we arnt talking about sales here, we are talking about the quality of games, although they look good, the fun value seems to be going down, and less ground breaking titles are being released.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 01:03:00 am »
I'm going to be the optimist here and say that once we can't go any further with graphics we'll start seeing better games. Maybe we'll see some professional 16 bit games for the first time in years.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 06:11:56 am »
This conversation is of course barring spore... ;)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Aegis

• Phoenix Fighter
  • There is no spork.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Aeon
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 06:17:48 am »
In my opinion, this  "decline" isn't actually in the games being made. It's because people have been liking crappy games. There are still some good ones being made, and stilll some people playing them, but on the whole the masses have been paying for flashy graphics and linear gameplay. Thus, the companies keep making those, so they can make more money.

So the problem, in my opinion, isn't with the companies, but with the majority of gamers.
Wait, you're telling me Radiosity isn't the graphical simulation of a nuclear bomb?

The Talcea -
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5316.0

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 06:57:20 am »
Yes, good games are still being made, I'm not saying all games are bad. However, most of those games are only appreciated by a very small audience.

Nowadays, games are all about publicity, graphics, and branding. Games like super mario didn't want to make mario seem like this super hero, he was just a little dude jumping around.

Now on the issue of mods. I totally love some mods out there for FPS games, however, no matter how good the mod is, a mod is a mod. It is built on the original game engine so your area of flexibility is limited. It's like comparing Doom3 and Quake 4... they run on the same engine! Yes quake 4 is a bit better in my opinion, but still, I don't go head over tail about it.

Now, I know many of you are spore fans, but this is what I think about spore if I haven't made myself clear: it looks like a good game, but i could live without it.