Author Topic: A Brief history of the Galaxy: Timeline  (Read 53604 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: A Breif history of the Galaxy: Timeline
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 02:43:27 pm »
This is why things that are roleplayed could use to be consistant... arent there several RP'ed threads going on at different periods in time? So confusing, this and the number of different, larger threads, is the main reason why I dont get involved in this. Oh, and the fact I have yet to make a race that I want to RP with. They're all designed to be played in Spore right now, so I dont assign too much history/timeline to them.

Do you mean This is what things that are roleplayed could use?
No I mean "This is why things that are roleplayed could use to be consistant".
Having multiple RP sessions that are in different time periods can cause confusion, and sometimes things that happen earlier on in the continuity may call for a bunch of akward changes on the RP sessions based in the future. Its a little like "Superhero Logic". The superheroes are given their names and powers first, and then you decide how they got their superpowers second. That seems a little backwards, but it works quite well. This kind of thing applies to when multiple RP sessions are dotted around randomly in a timeline, you have already set deciding events in stone, and you are trying to invent how they came to those conclusions. Thing is, good roleplay sessions dont always go to plan, so working towards a predetermined goal can curb the fun. Breaking away from the plan means more changes to be made further down the timeline, but if people are roleplaying in a period further into the future, it gets messy.

-brainfart-
This is of course assuming you have your RP sessions taking place in different time periods. I assumed that, given they are in different threads..
Hmmm. Its true. The prison escape is already messed up continuity-wise because it features the original ViS leader who got blown up when the Naucean mother-sphere blew up.  :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: A Brief history of the Galaxy: Timeline
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 03:05:32 pm »
Ok gimme a list of creatures in chronological order of which they were made someone, and I will make a timeline!  ;D
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2006, 03:30:47 pm »
I guess if we're using the Hydromancer popularity quotient to determine the ages of creatures then Nauceans should have emerged as a civilised society first, followed later by the ViS and Torpal at roughly the same time as each other (the difference being that the Torpal advanced quickly and expanded in a huge swathe of the galaxy as a disorganised mass whereas the ViS expanded slowly in a big concentric spheres around their original home planet)... then all the rest in some order. Doesnt need to be too accurate, since no-one cares about the other creatures that much  ;)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006, 03:41:30 pm »
Have no idea how to place Ęthirans in a timeline. Is a Empire that rise a fallen so many times in the galactic age. A society that for all is technically advances have not really created nothing new at all just rediscovered ancient technology for a time before the last purge or intergalactic war. Ęthirans are made to be old and never changing allway falling back 2 steps after taking 1 forward yet surviving despite this. The only thing that has really grow sins they started to build their intergalactic empire is the Conclaves Library and the list of death and atrocities.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:04:35 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 04:00:27 pm »
I guess if we're using the Hydromancer popularity quotient to determine the ages of creatures then Nauceans should have emerged as a civilised society first, followed later by the ViS and Torpal at roughly the same time as each other (the difference being that the Torpal advanced quickly and expanded in a huge swathe of the galaxy as a disorganised mass whereas the ViS expanded slowly in a big concentric spheres around their original home planet)... then all the rest in some order. Doesnt need to be too accurate, since no-one cares about the other creatures that much  ;)

Kazea came before ViS i am thinking.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2006, 04:02:04 pm »

Kazea came before ViS i am thinking.
Agreed. But they had a very slow rate of progress due to their natural disposition, meaning theyve only just reached early space age at the time we're calling 'now' in the fanfic universe.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2006, 04:04:26 pm »
Ok gimme a list of creatures in chronological order of which they were made someone, and I will make a timeline!  ;D

You realize how many creaturese there Are?!?! There are atleast 200 by now(not counting random animal creatures).

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2006, 04:06:22 pm »

You realize how many creaturese there Are?!?! There are atleast 200 by now(not counting random animal creatures).

I realize that, I mean the more popular creatures, not meaning to offend anyone.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2006, 04:12:06 pm »

I realize that, I mean the more popular creatures, not meaning to offend anyone.

You going to have a creature popularity poll again?

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2006, 04:16:36 pm »

You going to have a creature popularity poll again?
Yeah with all +200 of them!  ;D
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2006, 04:20:32 pm »
I think I'll just do naucean, kazea, ViS, torpal, wexxian, anubian and necromonicon, they're just the ones I see most of... I think i'll add more by request.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2006, 04:26:38 pm »
I think I'll just do naucean, kazea, ViS, torpal, wexxian, anubian and necromonicon, they're just the ones I see most of... I think i'll add more by request.
I think that is a good idea. Ęthirans do not need to be on the time line as their early history do not effect any other race. (At lest not yet. If anyone what to co write story with me involving Ęthirans i will not back down.) their are probably lots of races that do not effect any other race until a lot later in their galactic development. As i see it is that Ęthiran Empire very far away from the other races and that Ęthiran Empire yet again have a new intergalactic golden age.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2006, 04:35:10 pm »
You'll probably chase me with burning torches and pitchforks for suggesting this, but why not just... start fresh? Call all of this a 'training run', and start on a fresh, clean slate. Pick a good starting date for the RP session, and place it as early as you can possibly manage. After that, -never- skip further ahead than you absolutely need to. Follow the progression of events as they unfold, and try not to get impatient. This way around, things make sense, and there is no timebombs sat in the continuity of things.

I realise there is a problem in the fact that not all species reach the space-age at the same time, and whilst some are trading words up in space, some are just crawling out of the tidepools. You could essentially ignore those races not yet in the space-age until they come of age, and those without parts to play due to time differences could just make "temporary" characters from someone elses species. By temporary, I mean a character you're willing to kill off dramatically to further the plot, and so you can create a character within your own species (at the same time). Still this is a lot of messing around too, and it would mean you would forfeit all previous RP material. Meaning that its no better than struggling with the current tangled timeline.... hmm....

Having an RP'ed storyline that actually has to take into consideration the entire evolution of many species, is very unusual. If you played it from the moment the first two or three spacefaring civilisations met up, you'd have a LOT of roleplaying to do before the others caught up. Unless of course you only roleplay specific events, then resort to time-skips between them. Either way, a lot of people will be waiting, and even if they play characters from your species, nobody knows how a species should act like its creator. They might just get it completely wrong and out-of-character. So.. uh.. okay, scrap my idea ;)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2006, 04:39:25 pm »
I would not have anything against a "Spore collective fiction 2.0" but i would not lose anything really. Only the RP contact with the ViS which is easy to start again. But other might feel diffrent.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2006, 04:52:07 pm »
Use this as  reference for all the Fanfic events so far

Fanfic Event Index
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5249.0