Author Topic: City destroyed.  (Read 3858 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
City destroyed.
« on: June 22, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »
What do you think would happen,Diffrent attacks would do diffrent things.

If you attacked with land and sky vehicles would all the  people and building die and get destroyed or would some flee to other city and wrecks and ruins of the city still stand,A big bomb would probably leave Crater's and so on.What do ye think.Hopefuly the ruins will be their

We all b one big intergalactic family and  if you don't comply...NUKES....

Offline White Owl

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Birhak my creation
    • View Profile
Re: City destroyed.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 06:33:57 pm »
I hope that different attacks do different things because i don't want to attack with air units and have my enemy units attack nothing on the ground just because the AI was to stupid to recognize that my units were in the air

Offline Noxurblox

• Atari Combat Vet
  • You need my permission to tell the truth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 12:17:40 am »
What I think will happen is that there will be one animation for a destroyed city.  Then over time it will fade into the ground and be eventually be gone leaving no evidence it ever existed.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 03:07:35 am »
What I think will happen is that there will be one animation for a destroyed city. Then over time it will fade into the ground and be eventually be gone leaving no evidence it ever existed.
Or it might go down the normal path wargames do, each individual building just sits there as it takes damage, then once its 'health' hits zero, it explodes and leaves a black smear. I hope that buildings actually come apart somewhat, when attacked, then when in the 'repair' mode, the prims and shapes that are used get slowly towwed back into place, turned to their normal color (from a charred version) and restored to their original shape/size if they deformed a bit under a blast. :3

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 01:11:59 pm »
That what I think will happen,But hopfull there will be ruins to last.

Offline White Owl

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Birhak my creation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 01:50:41 pm »
I dont know when the tanks destroyed WW building it just left a Crater with a black smug. It was cool when the building exploded tho it flashed really bright and the building was gone

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 02:04:29 pm »
Hoefully when the game come out ruin and wrecks will be there.

Offline White Owl

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Birhak my creation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 02:05:19 pm »
Hopefuly

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:28:22 pm »
Replacing buildings with black smudges is just a bit boring though. I know this game isnt designed around graphics, but something other than "Bang, and the tower is gone!" would be nice. Finding out just how your buildings look when they are damaged, or near-ruin could be another part of Spores discovery wow-factor. Look how cool it is, I spent hours building my city and now its burning, im in love!

Offline Noxurblox

• Atari Combat Vet
  • You need my permission to tell the truth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 09:48:19 pm »
This is a stretch, but what about player content?  Why not design your own destroyed cities? Then they would be unique.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 04:17:10 am »
Actually that sounds alright. More for us to tinker with :D
That'd work like a starcraft/command and conquer building then. Stays looking 100% healthy even as it gets damaged, then once it passes a set amount (like 45%), it switches to the 'oh noes im damaged' building you designed, then at 0%, it either turns to to completely oblitorated shell you designed, or just.... vanishes to a smear again.
I'd still prefer deformation and having our buildings discolor and eventually turn to black charred husks :3

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 10:43:04 pm »
I don't know if you guys have seen something I haven't, but the only building I saw get destroyed was in the GDC '05 video...  That's 2005.  If you've seen the 2006 E3 video, then you probably noticed how much things had changed (the movement of the spaceship, mating, eggs...)  And before he starts it, I think he says something about it being held together with duct tape or something.  Considering how graphic the hopper's (sorry, can't remember its name) death was, I have to imagine they won't then slack off on an inanimate building's downfall.  I might have to go ahead and add that to my wishlist though...  Not just buildings, but vehicles.  Imagine; a city attacking you relentlessly but you're able to fend them off.  Eventually there's a wall of their own destroyed vehicles in their way.  Maybe have vehicles that'll eventually scavenge and clean them up.  Then when you're exploring other planets, not only do you find ruins of cities, but vehicles.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 11:09:58 pm »
I don't know if you guys have seen something I haven't, but the only building I saw get destroyed was in the GDC '05 video...  That's 2005.  If you've seen the 2006 E3 video, then you probably noticed how much things had changed (the movement of the spaceship, mating, eggs...)
Not entirely true.  Remember in the e3 06 video, the presenters get attacked by the city after dropping one of their civilians and fight back.  There are several buildings destroyed in the process.
Book, book, book

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 09:53:16 am »
Yes I know, I watched it again last night, but was already offline so didn't update the post.  Of course, e3 was still a year before the expected release date, so it may still change, but the buildings there were fine as he started attacking, then when destroyed, suddenly took on a charred, ruinned look.  Better than disappearing and only leaving a crater, but a far cry from, say, "Procedural demolition" like I would actually expect, given Will's apparent affinity for that.  To be fair though, I imagine the ruins left behind were procedurally created based on the initial building.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline HordeOfDoom

• Fire Truck Driver
  • King of Soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 10:56:25 am »
to me this isn't actually that big of an issue: sure it would be awesome, but its not something I'd cry about:)

as long as it turns somewhat charred/burning or whatever as its damaged I'm happy: and big black smears are always cool:)
We Are The Horde. Resistance Is Futile.