Author Topic: the "Hy-wire" the future of motoring  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
the "Hy-wire" the future of motoring
« on: June 24, 2006, 09:52:49 am »
as most of you probably know there is a car that you can run or sea water, yes ofcourse it costs 5 000 000 but its ready and working technology

now there are no physical attachments from the car fram to the engine at all, there are no pedals on the car or any of that rubbish, and as a result, you have a massive amount of space, now, loo at the steering wheel, is you were sat in the seat on the right, all you woul have to do is press a button and the steering wheel switches sides, to accelerate you turn the right hand grip and to stop you squeeze it.

now like i said before there are no physical attachments between the main part of the car and the engine, (except bolts to hold it in place but there are no wires or anything) and thanks to this there is amazing room for change, lets say you own this car and you want a pick up truck instead, well go down to your dealer and get him to remove the entire body of the car by just unbolting it and then you can have a pick up truck attachment put on, it would only take 15 minutes or so.

now like i said, the car runs on water and salt, your only emmision is water and ofcourse you could put that back in to cut down the amount of water you'll have to carry if you wanna go on really long drives .it generates so much energy you could power your house on it, well not only your house, you could power half your street with it. now, general motors claims that these cars will be "affordable" within 20 years, but what do they mean by affordable? to they mean they will cost 120 000  affordable or actually affordable , like 30 grand? coz i am just wondering how long it'll be before your average man owns one of these puppys.

Never mind your own business.

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: the "Hy-wire" the future of motoring
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 09:29:54 pm »
Rather ugly. I love the concept of new fuels but I want them in a Mustang Body.
-----

Common sense makes no sense as it is not commonly used!
( And thanks Alex for the sig!)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 03:35:27 am »
1. What's your source?
2. How the hell is the engine controlled without any connection? And please don't say by wireless because I refuse to believe any car manufacturer would make anything that unsafe.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 08:43:26 am »
2. How the hell is the engine controlled without any connection? And please don't say by wireless because I refuse to believe any car manufacturer would make anything that unsafe.

(Someone will recognize it)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 08:48:42 am by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 08:45:52 am »
I saw a demo video of this concept a few years back. There are wires running from the controls to the chassis but there was no mechanical linkage (throttle cables, steering column, etc...). The concept was that a single chassis platform would be able to have any body on it that was needed (so yes, a Mustang style body could be an option, or a truck body, or a van, etc..._. I'll dig for some links. If I recall the car ran on hydrogen fuel cells and electric motors.

-Lego

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 08:49:26 am »

The Pinto (and we are straying off topic here) was actually a revolutionary car, it just suffered from a design defect in its fuel tanks (which was corrected). Sadly the bad press of the event killed what was actually a good car. Ford is slow in learning however with addressing the fuel tanks on the Crown Victoria... a 22year old design that is used by thousands of police officers in North America.

I do agree though, wireless would be too dangerous.

-Lego

werechicken

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 09:14:39 am »
1. What's your source?
Brutus_ has indeed got it wrong
I too have seen this car on the TV program top gear, it does run on sea water, and you don't need peddles as it's all computer controlled, there are certain hard points where the chassis is connected to the actual engine these are done through ordinary old-fashioned cables, with bolts to hold it in place.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 10:46:49 am »
to detach the body of the car from the engine and stuff you just undo about 40 bolts and voila the whole point of the process is to make it so you don't have to detach all these mechanical connections and that junk, the whole thing is controlled electronicly

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hy-wire.htm for more info

and if you think that body is ugly then just get a new one  ;D
Never mind your own business.