Author Topic: Supernatural Power in Spore Fanfics  (Read 20473 times)

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Power in Spore Fanfics
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2006, 04:07:04 pm »
I think having to back everything up with some scientific explanation is a bit much to ask, seen plenty of people using various technologies that they have only vague comprehensions of and that are only theoretical in existence, or only found in science fiction. I seriously doubt anyone could actually accurately explain how they all work, otherwise half the people here would be master physicists and engineers.

good point

also time travel well that a tuffy just as long as you can't go far to back then its okay if its like 5 minute then thats fine with me and aceelaratind and slowing down time is fine too as long as its not indefinatly.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2006, 04:17:03 pm »

Well, no, actually. Thery are consistant with what we can see is possible in the Spore universe (or a logical extension of it). Magic clearly is not.

Time travel, nano-technology, organic spaceships, sentient robots, germ/chemical warfare, super strong exo-skeletons? I'm not going to go read through every thread to find every possible example, but that's at least a few. And maybe I'm being a little nitpicky, but I think someone just has a bias.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 04:38:35 pm »
Well, no, actually. Thery are consistant with what we can see is possible in the Spore universe (or a logical extension of it). Magic clearly is not.

Time travel, nano-technology, organic spaceships, sentient robots, germ/chemical warfare, super strong exo-skeletons? I'm not going to go read through every thread to find every possible example, but that's at least a few. And maybe I'm being a little nitpicky, but I think someone just has a bias.

We don't have time travel. Hydro's stated before that he doesn't want to use it, and up till this point no-one has. Aside from organic spaceships (which I missed somewhere) I think the others are consistant.

Yes, I do have a bias. As a sci-fi and fantasy writer myself, I hate to see fantasy creeping in to a perfectly good sci-fi plot. Fantasy belongs in fantasy stories. Where you have magic in a free-form sci-fi RPG with no-one to moderate, that's called Godmoding.

Magic/Psy Wank
Godmoding
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:44:57 pm by Daxx »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2006, 05:01:40 pm »
I would say it leads to Godmoding.

It can also be a problem when we have colabated writhing with several unique species to find a common footing. It can easily turn in to such absurd battle as Star Wars vs Star Trek which i hope no one wish for.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 05:16:16 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 05:11:44 pm »
It can easily turn in to such absurd battle as Star Wars vs Star Trek which i hope no one wish for.

oh god no! yeah your right if the powers are unfair everyone will be fighting if you can do this or that or whatever and i'm sure i'm not the only one who hates that.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2006, 06:26:00 pm »

We don't have time travel. Hydro's stated before that he doesn't want to use it, and up till this point no-one has. Aside from organic spaceships (which I missed somewhere) I think the others are consistant.

Yes, I do have a bias. As a sci-fi and fantasy writer myself, I hate to see fantasy creeping in to a perfectly good sci-fi plot. Fantasy belongs in fantasy stories. Where you have magic in a free-form sci-fi RPG with no-one to moderate, that's called Godmoding.

Magic/Psy Wank
Godmoding

Maybe not time travel exactly, but there's been talk of zero point energy technology and some precursor to it. The organic spaceship thing was mostly a shot in the dark, thought I saw it mentioned somewhere in the necro war thread. There are other examples, I just don't care enough to dig them up. But I still have to disagree with your viewpoint, I think a good sci-fi story can have elements of both. And if you can apply a fairly realistic practical explanation to something then it's not pure fantasy, or pure science fiction for that matter. I'm not suggesting anyone should be going around slinging fireballs, zapping aliens with lightning bolts, raising the dead or casting ultima on people, that's more fantasy based. And even that in the right situations can be described in a scientific way, pseudo-theoretical science though it may be.

In my experience I've seen things like telekinesis and telepathy used in more sci-fi settings than fantasy ones. Hell, they've even created programs with intent to train soldiers to do it in the military. If you don't believe any of it's possible that's fine, but that's no reason to stick it in a purely fantasy world. And this is all fiction after all, not much point in saying one form is any more realistic than the other. It's a big universe, there's room for a lot of possibilities out there.

The whole godmoding thing seems a little shortsighted. You're likely to get that sort of behavior happening in any free form rpg regardless of what sort of setting it's in. The presence of magic in itself is not any form of moding. Maybe out of character or out of place, but not moding. On the flip side there are also people capable of using things like "supernatural powers" or highly advanced technologies without crossing the line.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 06:33:10 pm »
I put it this way: Any ability that isn't available on Earth today is probably out of the reach of Spore. I think any species with telepathy, telekinesis, magic, etc. is seriously overpowered, as it lets you say "Hey, my species can't be harmed by such and such because they're too powerful." Fact is, you have to put up with what weakenesses and strengths you have.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2006, 06:44:39 pm »
Realistically, the sort of people who make psionic or magic-using races are the sort of people who are likely to Godmode anyway. It's simpler just to stop it here before things get out of hand. It's out of place here; it is wholly inconsistant with Spore and with the entire fanfic universe so far. Where people have made stuff that didn't fit in before, they agreed not to have it participate in storylines. The Overdeity of Fear was one I can name.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2006, 07:09:23 pm »
That's a pretty strong bias you've got there.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 07:29:50 pm »
I dont mind protoss style powers as long as there somehow related to technology. For instance if there was a device that made hologram copies of other ships and what not that would be kool, but raising your hands and doing that is kinda lame. As for like powerful minds thats ok, but I just dont want mountains or trees being lifted up and destryoing fleets/tanks. Im not too picky when it comes to that kinda stuff but like one guy said Fantasy mixing in with Sci Fi starts to destroy the feeling.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 08:43:44 pm »
My Tuiropar transported their entire star system back into time. :D They also have shields that can deflect mass drivers, have the ability to warp  space and time, and can create gravity wells at any point they like. They even stripped the universe of all other dimensions except the first, and took the inverse of a time stasis field and the converse of a black hole to create a planet made of a substance that when smoked causes the smoker to do things in a reverse order.Which in turn... just go to my thread, it is really too much to post here :P

I balance out this "super science" by making them disaster and accident prone. :)

Realistically, the sort of people who make psionic or magic-using races are the sort of people who are likely to Godmode anyway. It's simpler just to stop it here before things get out of hand. It's out of place here; it is wholly inconsistant with Spore and with the entire fanfic universe so far. Where people have made stuff that didn't fit in before, they agreed not to have it participate in storylines. The Overdeity of Fear was one I can name.
You generalize. :) Post an example of your work, oh high and mighty judge, so that all can gaze upon your wisdom and greatness. ;)

In Sci-Fi, it is often the case that the technology presented in the story is an extension of our own current technology. An example of this would be older Sci-Fi shows, that showed rockets being used for interstellar travel. Where as today, we have exciting relatively new propulsion types, such as the "Ion Drive" and the Prometheus Propulsion system(which could be one and the same, I haven't followed its development in a while.)  Or the technology represented is a mirror to our own, such as human silicon and steel space ships versus organic blood and bone ships.

In many fantasy stories, magic is always presented as a mystery at first glance, before the author begins to fill in the rules governing magic, and then it becomes a science, a discipline where experimentation leads to greater power or disaster. That fantasy universe follows these rules of magic, setting a precedent, so that when later magic suddenly springs out to save the day, their is an explanation for it. What was Gandalf, after all? A person who luckily was born with super powers, or an aged scholar who read old tomes of power to become that powerful? And there are good stories that combine magic and science, such as A. A. Attanasio's book The Dominion of Irth written under the pseudonym of Adam Lee.

Your sentiment against magic included in any fanfic universe assumes that the creator is a malevolent power hungry person. It is a rare occurrence that a new creature posted in the forums will say,"My creature has a super mind control device that enslaves the entire galaxy." Unless it is a joke or parody. Those types of Super Civilizations are usually those "Ancient Ruined Races that were destroyed by themselves/ intergalactic invaders/space phenomena" when applied to any fictional universe. This fanfic universe has been relatively pest free for a good while, due to some participants elitism and early animosity toward new creatures that were not obviously an anologue to an existing creature (not criticizing, just commenting on it as I saw it).

And to say that the current fanfic universe isn't already "Godmoding" isn't entirely correct either. Just look at the ship scales thread. I saw new ships get bigger and bigger  as that thread was filled up, until the scales became ridiculous. It was Freudian Psychology at its finest. ;)

That isn't to say that I think that magic should be included in this Fanfic universe, but dividing art into non overlapping categories is worthy of the ViS in its utter and complete boring narrowness.  :D

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 08:53:17 pm »
My Tuiropar transported their entire star system back into time. :D They also have shields that can deflect mass drivers, have the ability to warp  space and time, and can create gravity wells at any point they like. They even stripped the universe of all other dimensions except the first, and took the inverse of a time stasis field and the converse of a black hole to create a planet made of a substance that when smoked causes the smoker to do things in a reverse order.Which in turn... just go to my thread, it is really too much to post here :P

Okay, THAT IS ****ING CHEAP!

Offline Genesis

• Elevator Action Operator
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2006, 09:56:21 pm »
Now his view I understand. And to an extent agree with.

AND IT ISN'T CHEAP, ITS COOL!   :)

What will you do?

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2006, 12:23:33 am »
He said he destroyed every dimension other then our own, even though, in theory, theres an infinant ammount of them

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2006, 12:32:25 am »
He said he destroyed every dimension other then our own, even though, in theory, theres an infinant ammount of them

Maybe the Tuiropar are like Chuck Norris. He counted to infinity... TWICE  ;)

Anyway, I don't see what wrong with having certain types of powers like telepatic abilities. Who's really to say whats possible and whats not? 1000 years ago they'd have laughed if someone said the earth was round. 100 years ago they'd have laughed if someone said we'd have robots on mars. 10 years ago they'd have laughed if we said we could hold 500 songs on a chip in our pocket. Who's to say whats really possible in this universe? A lot of you are acting very close-minded. Sure, God-modding isn't fun for the people who aren't modded, but who's to say we won't encounter a race out there in space so much more powerful than us they COULD be Gods?