Author Topic: Supernatural Power in Spore Fanfics  (Read 20455 times)

Offline Aegis

• Phoenix Fighter
  • There is no spork.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Aeon
Re: Supernatural Power in Spore Fanfics
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 01:48:02 pm »
Yes, the Quantum Entanglement thing for telepathy works quite well, as long as it's just the way members of a species communicate with eachother. However, Telekenesis isn't realistic at all, so I'd suggest against it. Another reason, more important than realism, is that I would definitely call most supernatural powers Godmoding.
Wait, you're telling me Radiosity isn't the graphical simulation of a nuclear bomb?

The Talcea -
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5316.0

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 01:50:24 pm »
Another reason, more important than realism, is that I would definitely call most supernatural powers Godmoding.

This is the age-old problem, which started to surface back during the Halcyon war.

Also, I don't buy into the "scientifically possible telepahy" stuff.

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 01:52:15 pm »
Ah, good old Quantum Entanglement. Now with 50% more chocolatey goodness!

So how do we define whats supernatural and whats just magic? As anyone who's ever seen Criss Angel: Mindfreak levitate in the middle of the street would tell you, theres a fine line between magic and mystical.

Online Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 01:54:38 pm »
Yes, the Quantum Entanglement thing for telepathy works quite well, as long as it's just the way members of a species communicate with eachother. However, Telekenesis isn't realistic at all, so I'd suggest against it. Another reason, more important than realism, is that I would definitely call most supernatural powers Godmoding.
Yeah you need a very good explication for it. I mean a Cyborg with a inbuilt radio could send a message to a other Cyborg inbuilt radio and it would seem like telepathy.

PS: Anyone that thinks something that the Technomancer do is a little supernatural pleas just ask how it work under the hood and i will give a technical explation. They have no supernatural power at all just a lot of odd technology.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 01:56:24 pm »
PS: Anyone that thinks something that the Technomancer do is a little supernatural pleas just ask how it work under the hood and i will give a technical explation. They have no supernatural power at all just a lot of odd technology.

You can be as mystical as you like IC, but as long as you can justify it OOC. It's best that you provide an OOC explanation as to how the tech works. As long as everyone plays fair, it shouldn't make a difference.

Online Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 01:58:26 pm »
Well i will do that then if the rest of you feel the same thing. I do not what to spoil the mystic mod.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 01:59:07 pm »
Supernatural means magical. The word itself is Super (above/beyond) Natural (the limits of nature). So anything that is sont possible by the bounds of physics is therefore supernatural and magical, though our version of magic is mostly diverting attention from what's really happening, not Harry Potter magic. And all those people that claim they can levitate or change the direction of a compass's arrow can be shot down if a magician watches them.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 02:22:13 pm »
as long as you can scientifically backup those magical powers in some way its okay with me,you can't say oh look at me i blow thing up with my mind or there is no necro and every necro bends in unimaginable ways even though i wish we could do that it just wouldn't be fair.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 03:15:55 pm »
I think having to back everything up with some scientific explanation is a bit much to ask, seen plenty of people using various technologies that they have only vague comprehensions of and that are only theoretical in existence, or only found in science fiction. I seriously doubt anyone could actually accurately explain how they all work, otherwise half the people here would be master physicists and engineers. Personally I have nothing against the use of "supernatural powers" like telekinesis or telepathy. I myself created a race whose evolution and culture are tied into psionic capabilities. I know I won't be able to create anything like that in Spore because the game likely won't support such things, but in the context of a fan-fic, why not?

You can be as mystical as you like IC, but as long as you can justify it OOC. It's best that you provide an OOC explanation as to how the tech works. As long as everyone plays fair, it shouldn't make a difference.

And might I quote, as I'm sure it's been stated somewhere already: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 03:24:07 pm »
The difference being is that psionics and psychic powers are more the realms of fantasy, and not part of the universe in which the fan-fic is set. When we started ages ago, there was a tacit agreement that we would keep to the limitations of Spore, or what we thought Spore could achieve, or put a better way, what was consistant with what we could see was possible in the Spore universe. Magical powers are clearly not.

And would people stop quoting Arthur C. Clarke?

Online Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 03:25:30 pm »
And might I quote, as I'm sure it's been stated somewhere already: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Yeah i quoted Clarkes 3rd law of prediction in a other topic. Still ask if anything seem to be to magical to work so i can explain the sciences behind it. As mytic as it may seem everything i let my Technomancers do is base on Scifi and no Fantasy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:32:47 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 03:36:34 pm »
What about time travel? That kind of super natural. I mean i could do the same as see into the future, except this time i could just travel there and then then travel back :P But seriously. Naucean time travel will be very limited and used sparely and only when absolutely necessary. In such circumstance where there is no other way and it must be used to save us all... or something like that.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 03:46:53 pm »
The difference being is that psionics and psychic powers are more the realms of fantasy, and not part of the universe in which the fan-fic is set. When we started ages ago, there was a tacit agreement that we would keep to the limitations of Spore, or what we thought Spore could achieve, or put a better way, what was consistant with what we could see was possible in the Spore universe. Magical powers are clearly not.

Clearly you've gone beyond those limitations though and taken things to your own level. Some of the different weapons, spaceship fleets, the more minute details about creature cultures and civilizations, even certain biological characteristics and designs, are not things you're going to be seeing or likely to create within the actual game. Or at least aren't things that have been shown to exist in it. I'd say there's a pretty thin line between fantasy and science fiction too. I'm sure it's a cliched example but, look at Star Wars. Star Trek too.

And I threw the quote in because it was appropriate to the thread/debate.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Online Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006, 03:55:46 pm »
What about time travel? That kind of super natural. I mean i could do the same as see into the future, except this time i could just travel there and then then travel back :P But seriously. Naucean time travel will be very limited and used sparely and only when absolutely necessary. In such circumstance where there is no other way and it must be used to save us all... or something like that.
I do not like timetravel as is a to powerfull tool that can really mess up a story. To accelerate or retarded time is OK but that works on princepals that we can understand to day. It also a problem depending on how you want to handle time. Is time liner or dynamic for example? That has a huge impact on how timetravel works.

It also why i create the Temporal guardian that is a 3.999... dimensional AI that guards over Ęthiran Space to prevent timetravel and to extream spacetime manipulation. And a side effect it interferes with FLT travel. Not something that can not be fixed but without proper equipment and star charts it could end very bad for a careless space travel.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:13:24 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2006, 04:03:05 pm »

Clearly you've gone beyond those limitations though and taken things to your own level. Some of the different weapons, spaceship fleets, the more minute details about creature cultures and civilizations, even certain biological characteristics and designs, are not things you're going to be seeing or likely to create within the actual game. Or at least aren't things that have been shown to exist in it. I'd say there's a pretty thin line between fantasy and science fiction too. I'm sure it's a cliched example but, look at Star Wars. Star Trek too.

Well, no, actually. Thery are consistant with what we can see is possible in the Spore universe (or a logical extension of it). Magic clearly is not.

More important in the short term is the godmoding aspect, which always spoils everyone's fun.