Author Topic: Yet another Krakow Sam studios presentation. To-tak  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Yet another Krakow Sam studios presentation. To-tak
« on: June 16, 2006, 10:24:44 am »
Yeah, I should probably stop making these but... well anyway.

First of all, credit goes to Yokto for giving me this idea with his Aetherians.

Now, lets meet the To-tak:

Despite appearances the To-tak are in fact a highly advanced species... but only the chosen few possess and use advanced technology, much like the Aetherians and their technomancers. However, unlike the aloof and uncaring technomancers, the To-tak Shamen are benevolent leaders, each fiercly protective of his or her own tribe (though most To-tak believe the source of these powers to be magical, and venerate their shamans accordingly). The masks, staves and other possessions of each Shaman are the source of his or her power and despite their crude appearance they are highly sophisticated technological marvels, each possessing the powers of an associated element. The picture above shows the Shaman Papatpa (names are passed down along with the tools of the trade, so there will always be a Papatpa, a Kahoo, a Faroom etc) of the plains tribe summoning rain to water the parched ground. The rain is summoned by means of a specific ritual consisting of music, dancing and chanting. This is a failsafe built into the technology in the staff and mask to prevent its misuse. Only a Shaman knows how to activate and correctly use the power of one of these items.
Below we see Faroom of the Ash wastes summoning fire from his mask to intimidate his tribe's enemies.

The To-tak live on a planet in a Binary star system, meaning their planet is unusually hot all year round. Environements range from plains and savanna near the poles, tropical rainforests in between and desert at the equator. There is also a region heavily blighted by volcanoes known as the ash wastes (where obsidian and precious stones are often mined).
As such the To-tak are all thin, tall creatures to minimise the amount of sun falling on them. They are all dark skinned although the colours can vary from purple, to red, to green or even to completely pitch black in the hottest regions. They have large eyes of varying colours (though red is most common) with tiny pinhole sized pupils. Their unusual arm structure is better represented as a picture than described so see below. The large 'ears' on the side of the head are in fact huge vent like nostrils used to cool the scorching air before it enters the lungs. Breathing through the mouth is difficult because of the gigantic teeth, which have evolved to deal with the tough plant matter and dried meat which makes up their diet.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:57:46 am by Krakow Sam »

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Genesis

• Elevator Action Operator
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Krakow Sam studios presentation. To-tak
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 10:29:46 am »
That pretty good, would say more but I don't have the time.

What will you do?

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:33:06 am »
I like em  8) Good pics too
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 10:33:26 am »
my this is different,love the mask and the fire god thing, cant wait to see more especially mask.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:12:37 pm »
Fun and intresting species. Will be intersting to see how they evolve.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 02:47:31 pm »
They remind me of the Jumanji tribe in the cartoon! I don't know I anyone know it!  ;)

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 02:49:49 pm »
Haha I remember the Jumanji cartoon , and the tribe guys. Sweet!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 03:15:28 pm »

Ok, heres a map of Taka, the To-Tak home planet. Over the next semester I will be going into detail on each region of this world. But for now, heres a quick overview.

1. The Orange plains. Quite dry, but not hot by the standards of Taka. The resident tribe are mainly hunters and herders and their Shaman has power over rain and clouds.

2. The Savanah. Gets seasonal rainfall which allows grass to grow. The resident tribe are hunters. Their Shaman commands savage beasts.

3. The Acrid Swamps. Marshy wetlands which are home to giant insects. The resident tribe are fishermen. Their Shaman can become incorporeal and can control the marshlights.

4. The Blood plain. A hot and opressive place. The native tribe are warriors whose Shaman grants them superhuman strength and swiftness.

5. The Dune Sea. The hottest and driest area on Taka. Home to nomadic herders whose shaman commands the wind and can form illusions.

6. The Ash wastes. A volcanic wasteland. The tribe which dwells here mines the precious obsidian the volcanos produce. Their Shaman commands fire.

7. The Verdant coast. The place where intelligent To-tak first evolved. The natives are farmers. Their Shaman has great wisdom and provides the other shamans of the world with their magic and settles their disputes.

8. The Inpenetrable Jungle. Home to many strange and wonderful beasts and the jungle hunters, whose Shaman commands plants.

9. The Grey plains. A rocky wasteland. The native tribe is one of resourceful scavengers. Their shaman can command the very earth and the rocks themselves.

10. The Salt Wastes. Not an Icy region as it would appear, but the dried remains of an ancient sea. The Tribe which dwells here is considered strange by all the others. Their Shaman can bring the dead back to life as his servants.

11. The Island of Crags. A mountainous island home to a tribe of expert masons, who build great terraces to farm the mountainside. Their shaman can call down lighting from the sky and from his own body.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 03:26:56 pm »
Cool!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 04:21:36 pm »
A couple more Shamans for you.

This is Akumba. The Guardian of the Jungle. Her two rattles allow her to accelerate and guide the growth of jungle plants to defend her tribespeople. She also knows the names of every plant and knows which ones can be used for medicine or for poison (via a scanner-like system in the mask which interfaces directly with the wearer's brain). Her shrine also contains various devices, all primitive looking, which can be used to heal the sick and synthesize medicines, which the jungle tribe trades with the other tribes.

It is said that those who dwell in the salt plains have been sent mad by the place. There is very little food or water, the heat is opressive even by To-tak standards, and there is nothing but blinding white as far as the eye can see. Perhaps embodying this madness is Not, the death Shaman. His staff allows him to animate the corpses of the dead to serve as his zombie slaves (useful, as they dont require precious food or water). A facility of his mask allows him to deduce the manner in which a person was killed, and, if it was murder, who did it. When the murderer has been found out he can use illusion to assume the guise of the victim and exact revenge on the murderer, eventually turning him into a zombie slave bound into the service of the victim's family. This capacity can take Not across the entire world, answering the summons of those whos loved ones have been killed.
(Note: A genetic quirk means that some members of the salt waste tribe are born with only two fingers on each hand. These individuals are favoured to suceed the Shaman and eventually become the new Not)

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 04:26:14 pm »
I really like these guys. They're one of the most unique species just because of their culture.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 04:28:20 pm »
Looks like a bunch of tiki people. Also you seem to have a thing for masks.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 04:31:04 pm »
Looks like a bunch of tiki people. Also you seem to have a thing for masks.
With the Condyre it stemmed from lazyness. I couldnt be bothered to draw faces. In this case I just felt like drawing some African style masks... I'm thinking for some of the other tribes I'd do some other styles. I'm almost certainly going to do an Inca style mask for the mountain shaman.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 05:23:11 pm »
Nice they also know about Reanimation. Necromancy have a long tradition in Ęthiran culture as you might know. Got to write about the Necrowars some day.

I really like how they are evolving.  :)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 01:38:50 am »
I love the way each area has its own shaman and special powers.
No way dude, you're trolling me.