Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341883 times)

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #3675 on: October 18, 2016, 11:07:03 pm »
And like 7 different games over 20 or so years? It's not unreasonable. It's more variation than most other games trash monsters... how many different dragon quest creatures are there?

God I hate it that every final fantasy has new monsters. Like, you're knocking the game for adding more variation? The game is about catching all the various monsters there's no reason for them to not add more each time, it's the point of what they're trying to do I'm pretty sure. It just doesn't seem like a fair thing to call a negative
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3676 on: October 18, 2016, 11:53:26 pm »
Nah I think there are too many Pokemon. I see it as a negative because there are other aspects of the game that can always be improved (clunky UI, the plot that is the same every time, wouldn't mind co-op, framerate and performance issues with the new engine, HMs are getting better but, and whatever else you can think of), yet Pokemon moves at the speed of a glacier when it comes to doing anything other than dumping more monsters into the game.

If there were fewer garbage Pokemon I wouldn't have a problem. But you've got hundreds of creatures that are literally useless. That bugs me.

As for your other questions, Final Fantasy was a better choice than Dragon Quest. DQ has had the same cast of characters for thirty years. Even so, Final Fantasy still contains a fairly static collection of enemies and monsters with a few additions here and there.

Lol coming from someone who doesn't seem to enjoy them enough to finish most

Well now that just isn't true. Every Pokemon game I started, I finished. I never got any other handhelds after the Game Boy Color, though. I had a PC. So I just never played those games between Yellow and Platinum.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: October 19, 2016, 02:43:03 am »
Yeah, when different monsters are the core of the game, it sucks when the monsters suck.

Beyond that there is not much to the gameplay. If the pokemon you get in the start of the game are bad, it ruins the game for me. After you have finished the game, there is not much point to train your favorite pokemon.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: October 19, 2016, 03:25:40 am »
I would love a Pokémon game with a deep thought provoking story Gen 5 was a step in the right direction story wise it was still very close to what came before but I found the characters and the villains to be interesting. Kalos then undid it the whole world felt so bland and in comparison the villains were so flat.

If gamefreak went and built an epic story with great twists I wouldn't care if they filled the game with living sand castles, fire/fighting starters and endless zubat/ratatta clones.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: October 19, 2016, 04:04:36 am »
Nah I think there are too many Pokemon. I see it as a negative because there are other aspects of the game that can always be improved (clunky UI, the plot that is the same every time, wouldn't mind co-op, framerate and performance issues with the new engine, HMs are getting better but, and whatever else you can think of)

Pat all of those things except the framerate are different in S&M. Co-op is a stupid idea.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3680 on: October 19, 2016, 06:52:15 am »
But... but... then we could play together. :3

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: October 19, 2016, 03:04:50 pm »
Thats why a pokemon MMO would be crazy.

Played the demo well up to the end of the trial at least kind of didn't enjoy it too much but I think it was because what I enjoy about Pokémon is building a team from scratch and getting a Greninja and pikachu in the high 30s ruins that.

I'll still play the main game at least that part of it will still be there.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3682 on: October 19, 2016, 03:25:13 pm »
Agreed. The demo is fun but you're right about missing that feeling of starting from scratch.

However I guess they were aiming to get us right into the game so we could see how the mechanics and everything work. And ultimately that's what matters. Plus I'd hate to have to sit through the start again. :P

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: October 19, 2016, 03:35:44 pm »
The special demo is mostly so that people can see the new UI and ride pokemon and Z-moves and pokemon snap, which would take a while to get to if you were starting from the beginning. Also they had to cram Ash-Greninja in the game somehow.

Also so that people can datamine the entire game.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: October 19, 2016, 04:10:21 pm »
DATA MINING.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: October 19, 2016, 05:50:45 pm »
Don't get me wrong I know why they did it That way. I'm sure it also won't be an issue with the main game. Hope the Trials are interesting as well X/Y was missing quests and things things to do. After the palace of Versailles it really felt like just visit gym after gym to the league.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: October 21, 2016, 05:15:33 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi7g9LbBv8A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi7g9LbBv8A</a>

Merchandising.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3687 on: October 21, 2016, 09:21:07 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgRFQJCHcPw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgRFQJCHcPw</a>

Yogurt is the best Pokemon.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: October 22, 2016, 01:53:48 am »
-Youtube video-

Merchandising.

Mimikkyu best Pokemon this gen.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FskTlUZyF_A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FskTlUZyF_A</a>

also, more Pokemon gen.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:00:16 am by Pixxel »
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: October 22, 2016, 12:41:04 pm »
Archie should probably get his eyes checked, that eyeball wiggle doesn't look healthy.

Tell me more about this Shelly.
Probably not a Goat, either.