Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341437 times)

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #3540 on: August 13, 2016, 10:03:19 pm »
Oh man.  Just got back from doing a draft of the Pokemon TCG with some friends of mine.  For the first time in 20 years I actually played the game properly.  Good times.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: August 14, 2016, 02:11:11 am »
Nice
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: August 14, 2016, 06:07:25 am »
Oh man.  Just got back from doing a draft of the Pokemon TCG with some friends of mine.  For the first time in 20 years I actually played the game properly.  Good times.

Tell Pat that he's a weenie and the new cards are cool. How 'bout that Steam Siege?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3543 on: August 14, 2016, 07:26:59 am »
I just don't like the new cards. They don't do anything that the old cards do (sans stadiums and items) except simply being "more". That's not good enough. They're more powerful and more crazy and more colorful but the meta is still stagnant and lame. I hate meta, games always go the same way with meta. Early gen Pokemon has a meta, but you can ignore it and still have interesting, dynamic games.

Early gen lets you actually use all the cards.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: August 14, 2016, 11:27:20 am »
Pat you can't ignore the meta with any competitive (by which I mean that players play against each other, not like, you win prizes at big tournaments) game with deckbuilding elements.

If you were playing against a static goal, like the players don't interact with each other but instead race to a predetermined number of points then there will be a single "optimal" selection of cards and play strategy which will net wins with the highest reliability. If the game is designed properly then there won't be an optimal strategy when playing against another person, rather you're occupying different points in "donkey space" where your deck and strategy is better or worse against specific opponents and their decks. But it doesn't matter how well a game is designed, it can never be the case that every position in donkey space (every possible deck and play) is good or fun, and a lot of the time someone's favourite card or idea or gambit is going to fall into that unfortunate position. Unless the designers have done their job insanely well, not every card is going to be useful, and the real rub for a game which continues expanding like Magic, Pokemon TCG or Netrunner is that as more cards are released the designers are face with the choice of either just succumbing to power creep and making new cards do more of the same, but better OR they can introduce brand new elements, but their effect on the game overall is likely to disrupt the usefulness of some earlier cards (if they're doing their job right, however, it might make old cards that were previously considered weak take on a new lease of life)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: August 14, 2016, 04:50:10 pm »
Oh and while I'm here, before they release any more information about Sun & Moon know that I had this idea completely on my own:

Alolan Jynx. Psychic/Poison. "It manifests vivid colours due to eating poisonous plants not found in its native habitat"

Yamanba fashion is named after the Yama-uba (the basis of Jynx), since the Yama-uba is played in blackface in traditional theatre. If you saw the Team Skull trailer there's an admin who has this kind of fashion so I think she'll have a matching Alolan Jynx.

Now when the actual Alolan Jynx is a ****ey hula dancer or doesn't exist at all we can all be sad that it was me and not Gamefreak that came up with this 10/10 pokéconcept.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3546 on: August 14, 2016, 04:55:01 pm »
Pat you can't ignore the meta with any competitive (by which I mean that players play against each other, not like, you win prizes at big tournaments) game with deckbuilding elements.

That's why I don't have much interest in competition play. I just wanna own all the cards and mess around with them.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: August 14, 2016, 04:57:15 pm »
Oh and while I'm here, before they release any more information about Sun & Moon know that I had this idea completely on my own:

Alolan Jynx. Psychic/Poison. "It manifests vivid colours due to eating poisonous plants not found in its native habitat"

Yamanba fashion is named after the Yama-uba (the basis of Jynx), since the Yama-uba is played in blackface in traditional theatre. If you saw the Team Skull trailer there's an admin who has this kind of fashion so I think she'll have a matching Alolan Jynx.

Now when the actual Alolan Jynx is a ****ey hula dancer or doesn't exist at all we can all be sad that it was me and not Gamefreak that came up with this 10/10 pokéconcept.

Why limit it to just Manba.

Loli Jynx, Goth Jynx, Hikikomori Jynx (special ability: Play videogames)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3548 on: August 14, 2016, 04:58:43 pm »
Why don't we like Jynx? She's okay. I guess.

Mr. Mime is probably better though. He's got that goofy "I take no damage because reasons" kind of defense.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: August 14, 2016, 05:07:58 pm »
Loli Jynx, Goth Jynx, Hikikomori Jynx (special ability: Play videogames)

Actually now that I remember that they've already made pokemon based around fashion trends like gothloli it seems to make that manba idea more likely.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: August 14, 2016, 07:47:08 pm »
Just think about the cool goth pokemon we could've gotten and instead we got this.

Tell me again how the new pokemon don't suck.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: August 14, 2016, 08:02:57 pm »
Is it goth though, or some weird japanese goth?  Gothloli that lurk mentioned would be what, little girl goth?  Schoolgirl goth?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: August 15, 2016, 07:42:51 am »
Gothic lolita

Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3553 on: August 15, 2016, 08:39:00 am »
~~

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: August 18, 2016, 04:40:53 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWLoyZESAc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWLoyZESAc</a>

TURTONATOR
Not a winner anymore.