Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341762 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #3510 on: August 03, 2016, 01:52:39 pm »
Yeah I haven't spent a cent on it. GD you should start playing boardgames with us. Get TTS when its on sale! :O
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3511 on: August 04, 2016, 05:46:13 am »
You may already be a secret hitler.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: August 04, 2016, 06:21:45 am »
Oh, I was. I was in fact the secret hitler. We played the secret hitler card game just a while ago. I was elected to be the chancellor, which means the fascists win automatically. I won. I was a good Hitler.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3513 on: August 04, 2016, 06:28:14 am »

"Hold on I saw a Squirtle!"

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: August 07, 2016, 12:34:41 am »
Hmm, just something I thought of, about the creativity of Pokemon designs old vs. new.

Back in the day, it was a pretty cool idea just to think "what if animals had superpowers and you could capture them and have them battle each other". And of course have them evolve into something even better. And that's a pretty cool idea!

The whole idea of pokemon was literally based on collecting bugs. And going outdoors, I can totally see what's cool about the idea of animal companions. That's why a lot of pokemon were blatantly based on actual animals.

Now what's wrong with some of the new pokemon is that they do not seem like creatures that could exist, and more like cartoonish characters who are wearing cosplay. The direction of the designs has been weering from realistic creatures to cartoon characters.

This is why I actually think region-specific forms are a great idea, because having natural evolution occur makes pokemon more realistic.

I think everyone at the Pokemon company has forgotten how Pokemon started, and is now thinking up designs fit for a fantasy pokemon world, and not the real world. This is why I have no beef with old designs being "unoriginal" and obviously based on animals. They were realistic, simple and cohesive. But instead of animals, new designs build on top of old designs, with things getting more convoluted and cartoonish with each iteration.

For me, something like a realistic (black) fire swan and water bunny would be cooler than the more "creative" cartoon designs these days.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: August 07, 2016, 06:51:02 am »
YEAH REALLY COOL SUPERPOWERED ANIMALS LIKE **** PIDGEON

**** RAT

**** BUTTERFLY

YOU WANNA FIGHT ****TY RATS AGAINST EACH OTHER YOU CAN DO THAT IN REAL LIFE

JUST A ****ING WASP

TOOK MY MOM'S WASP AND PUT IT IN THE GAME

****ING WHACK-A-MOLE

SOME MAGNETS

REALISTIC THO

REALISTIC WHACK-A-MOLE

SOME SORT OF HORRENDOUS ELECTRICAL THING

SOME SORT OF HORRENDOUS FIRE THING

JYNX

JYNX

JYNX
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: August 07, 2016, 07:26:01 am »
Don't forget pink blob pokemon, two purple blob pokemon, computer program pokemon, floating purple ball Pokemon, three floating purple balls attached together pokemon, whatever Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff/Clefairy/Clefable are (moon animals??), ground cylinder, group of ground cylinders, a couple more ball pokemon...
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: August 07, 2016, 07:29:01 am »
Yeah, well animals you can catch and evolve is still cooler than animals you can't catch and evolve.

*cries*

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: August 07, 2016, 07:34:31 am »
Porygon is actually pretty cool though. Especially when it gets upgraded into a drinking bird thing and then glitched out into an upside-down bird thing.

I mean,  I actually like a lot of Generation 1 Pokémon but people saying that they're better than the new ones or "more realistic" or that we should go back to having less Pokémon or that Pokémon GO is better than the real games just drives me into a frothing tard-rage. I haven't spent thousands of hours being a Pokémon superfan just to listen to that ****.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: August 07, 2016, 07:38:07 am »
Ugh, I do not want a repetition of the discussion I just had on Reddit. No rage please...

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: August 07, 2016, 07:40:46 am »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: August 07, 2016, 07:46:46 am »
I know there is no way to convey emotions on the internet, so I'll just go away now.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3522 on: August 07, 2016, 09:30:57 am »
I want fewer Pokemon and more focus on what already exists.

Porygon is actually pretty cool though.

Porygon is silly in TCG. Not necessarily good, but he can be if you use him well.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: August 07, 2016, 11:11:57 am »
So it can't attack, it's just there to screw with the opponent and stall for a bit?

Without going back and comparing each generation, there has always been "realistic" pokemon and some that are goofier or more stylized.  That might be due to the kind of creep you get with any ongoing series to try and stay interesting.  It may be due to the art style changing as technology improved.  It's not an issue for me but I can see where you're coming from.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:14:35 am by Inkling »
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: August 07, 2016, 08:54:39 pm »
Looks like they pulled all the shops and gyms from the cemetery nearby.  Good, it was inappropriate.

I finally used one of my lucky eggs, went up three levels and got 40 great balls.  I guess I should have caught a few more pidgeys first, I had a few minutes left at the end.  I have three above 500 cp now, but that's not saying much.
Probably not a Goat, either.