Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341412 times)

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #3240 on: July 14, 2016, 09:28:34 am »
how you get pikachu
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: July 14, 2016, 10:04:58 am »
What

It's Darkrai. He's spooky and gives people nightmares.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: July 14, 2016, 10:11:11 am »
If you walk away from the starters a few times, eventually Pikachu appears as fourth option. I learned this on Reddit.

Anyhow, caught a few pokemon, and apparently the university campus is chockfull of pokestops.

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: July 14, 2016, 02:12:40 pm »
Love how all these other brands are making spoofs off the app, including Disney.

https://vine.co/v/57gXABnq7An

Also this was funny.

https://twitter.com/Cherrysacid/status/750938650708508672/video/1
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:16:10 pm by Gec »

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: July 15, 2016, 04:40:17 am »
When I got home from university, there were fewer pokestops and pokemon in the suburbs. Well, the pokestops you could find if you knew where to look. But the pokemon were harder to find.

I also read that seashores are supposed to have more pokemon, particularly water type pokemon. I live right next to a beach which has 4 pokestops, but still pokemon were relatively hard to find. I was about to catch a psyduck, but then the game froze. Eh.

Went to the center of Helsinki today, and of course it's teeming with pokestops. I'm leaving by a train to my hometown today, and I expect to see a whole bunch of nothing once I'm there. Well, at least I'll still be able to hatch my eggs.

But I really really wish they would steer away from having the pokemon only appear in populated spaces. I want to go into the woods and find something awesome. The game plays well enough for me despite the occasional freeze, but I think they were really taking the easy way out by just converting the ingress portals into pokestops and gyms without any further consideration.

I mean it makes sense to have more pokemon where there are more customers, but would it really be that hard to make them appear everywhere, on a grid of some sort?

Also, regarding the question which pokemon appear in Finland, besides the weedles and pidgeots, Drowzees appear to be particularly plentiful. I also caught one Seadra, which makes me very happy. So yeah, there do seem to be more water pokemon near the sea. I also caught a Tentacool, and saw many more water pokemon off into the distance. Got very close to a cloyster once.

From my house I can often see a ghastly somewhere nearby. Not sure why. Also zubats suck and are dodgy ****ers.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: July 15, 2016, 04:48:45 am »
My phone is too crappy to play pokego. But I was considering an upgrade anyway due to it being slow to do basically anything and also it's battery life has been not great lately. Might look at some options this weekend.

But I am definitely not getting a new phone just to play pokemon go.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: July 15, 2016, 05:09:44 am »
My phone had the same problems as yours, KS. I also would've needed a better phone during a digital landscape architecture workshop, when we were testing Google Cardboard, which requires an app on your phone. Most of the other VR and AR applications didn't work either. I also needed a better camera for school.

I am quite happy that Pokemon Go made me get the new phone I've been needing badly. Certainly a much better investment than buying a Nintendo 3DS, which can be even more expensive than my new phone.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3247 on: July 15, 2016, 05:32:56 am »
Certainly a much better investment than buying a Nintendo 3DS, which can be even more expensive than my new phone.

lol keep telling yourself that, pleb.

Silly westerners and your inferior phones. Nippon owns you, bitches.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: July 15, 2016, 05:37:28 am »
Pat you're way further west than me or GD. Wrong side of the Meridean line bitch.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3249 on: July 15, 2016, 05:45:28 am »
And yet I'm not buying a new spyphone to catch the pocket monsters. :U

I love this game. It's shining a light on how deluded we are over here. We're a generation behind and we think we're two generations ahead. It's an allegory for our entire western culture, sometimes.

"I will make you understand."

Haaaawwwww yes you will, Based Kimishima.

(by the way I'm glad you got the game working a bit better, GD. laggy software sucks and is frustrating.)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: July 15, 2016, 05:48:15 am »
My Huawei Honor is still a better phone than a Nintendo 3DS.

...I would expect they have the same phones in the US.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3251 on: July 15, 2016, 05:50:25 am »
Nah you're right. The US is so freaking screwed up with phone tech. It's pretty sad.

Between the prices and the actual quality of service... people just don't know or realize they're being completely ripped off. And then they usually drop that line about, "well, it's America so we have the best." And that hasn't been the case for like, a decade or more at this point. I'd kill for some consistent high speed connections through the air. That'd help a few things.

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: July 15, 2016, 06:29:53 am »
The US has the same phones as everywhere else, dude.

And yeah GD there are Drowzees everywhere. Tons of Pidgeys, Weedles, and Ratatas. I find it weird that there are so many Weedles but I've only found one Caterpie.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: July 15, 2016, 06:32:40 am »
We're a generation behind and we think we're two generations ahead.

FIVE generations behind.

Six in November. I'm already planning my pro-Magearna sweep-strats so you'd better get a hustle on if you want to catch up.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3254 on: July 15, 2016, 06:58:25 am »
The US has the same phones as everywhere else, dude.

Wrong. Our phones, coverage, and service plans are objectively inferior to what you have in Europe and what exists in parts of East Asia. The service plans relative to Europe and the actual phones relative to Japan.

We pay a premium for "the best", but the best is apparently throttled speeds, high prices, and spotty coverage outside (and inside) of cities. Oh, and the privilege to be told off by a representative of these lovely carriers. I used to set phone and plans up for people, I've seen it. I've witnessed the delusion when faced with a cell phone that was obsolete in Japan a year ago. We still struggle with something as simple as GSM standards across phone models.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160426005253/en/Apteligent-STL-Partners-Launch-Quarterly-Mobile-Network
http://bgr.com/2013/09/24/verizon-ceo-mcadam-unlimited-data-plans/

I appreciate you trying to defend the US in this case. But it's just not a reflection of reality. Our cellphone carriers, like a lot of our companies, are charging us what amounts to a premium for being in the deluded states of America. And people lap it up. They think we get the best even when we don't and the companies are all-too-happy to charge for the best even when it isn't. The downsides of Exceptionalism.