Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341367 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #3210 on: July 12, 2016, 08:29:37 am »
Maybe GD was right...
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: July 12, 2016, 08:48:47 am »
Obviously they made it this simple to not scare off casuals, but still, pokemon combat isn't that hard, why.

You overestimate casuals. Actual multiplayer Pokemon battles are a twisted realm unnavigable by the "hurr I played Silver when I was 8 so I know all about pokeymans" crew.

The reason Pokemon Go isn't an actual game is phone users don't want an actual game. Long-form RPGs that require a lot of investment belong on dedicated platforms owned by people who bought them because that's what they want.

Yeah, lurk's right, even if they made the combat less autistic.

Either you make the combat simple, don't have much stat difference between pokeymans and restrict it to a relatively simple rock paper scissors game, which means winning and losing will be mostly arbitrary, which will make people who like games unhappy.

Or you make it like the pokemon games, and a load of little kids and manchildren will get beaten all the time by full spectrum warriors like lurk and they'll stop liking the game. It's basically the same reason they never made a pokemon MMO - your favourite pokemon will suck.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: July 12, 2016, 09:31:56 am »
if this style of game keeps up, i think it would be cool to see it done to yo-kai watch

i mean, that game is literally based on the premise of using a special lens-like device to see Yokaímon or whatever the **** they're called in the real world and also has a really simple, almost completely uninvolved battle system

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: July 12, 2016, 09:53:19 am »
But the kind of people that are that not invested in games don't really mind losing all the time anyway, because even with the braindead stuff they lose all the time.
Except if there is no loss condition anyway.

And besides, guess what's happening now, you have autists driving around town with 6 iphones in hand getting 20000 points worth of pokemon getting all the gyms and all those casuals are losing anyway, whoop.
And there is no way people aren't going to get bored of this system in a few weeks.

Pokemon has never been really hard anyway, you can just fight random pokemon and level up and pick yes to all the ****ty stat boosting moves and replace all your good moves and still get pretty far.
And then they can battle eachothers ****ty pokemon and have a blast.
Pokemon doesn't require you to max out your EV stats or whatever to have a good time unless you specifically fight the autistic "competitive" people.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3214 on: July 12, 2016, 10:55:18 am »
I feel like a bit of a broken record here.

The game was never intended to be a main-series Pokemon game. Nintendo's push to mobile is not to become a major player in the mobile market, though if that happens all the better. The push to mobile is meant as a means of building interest in and sales of Nintendo's hardware and software. Remember, Nintendo doesn't sell televisions or operating systems like the other Two. Their video game department counts for a huge majority of the company's activity. It has to do well or there's no Nintendo.

I made a post a few pages back with quotes from Iwata explaining most of this a couple years ago.

They aren't going to make handheld or console video games for cellphones. They're going to make cellphone games for cellphones, else they risk cannibalizing one of the pillars of their business model. That needs to be your expectation. If you're expecting handheld-tier Pokemon games, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. It's a gateway drug, guys. Your first hit is free. Want the full experience? You gotta buy the Nintendo handheld.

With that said. Be patient, too.

Look to Splatoon, Smash Bros., and Hyrule Warriors as examples. Nintendo and their partners were able to drip feed content and new features into these games over the course of a year or two after release. It kept the games both fresh and relevant and they continue to be played. There is already confirmation that Pokemon GO will be updated with new features as time goes on (and I am pretty sure some type of combat was mentioned). Looking back at the recent past (which has been a very good indicator of Nintendo's future plans as of late) you should rest easy knowing that GO will have ongoing support and updates.

I dunno, just give Nintendo a little trust, guys. These guys managed to whip Koei-Techmo into shape and pushed Dynasty Warriors to a new level. They know how to foster the best in their developers and their partners.

**EDIT**
Also here!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/07/11/pokemon-go-team-discusses-successes-challenges-and-the-future-niantic.aspx
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:59:27 am by PatMan33 »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: July 12, 2016, 11:58:23 am »
Dang it I really just wanted to talk about Pikaboo.

And everyone's favourite Tekken 7 character too, I guess.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3216 on: July 12, 2016, 12:06:55 pm »

Don't all of you rush out at once to do this. Okay?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #3217 on: July 12, 2016, 12:25:19 pm »

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: July 12, 2016, 12:28:22 pm »
The Creepachu looks like a mushroom pokemon that disguises itself as other pokemon.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3219 on: July 12, 2016, 12:35:06 pm »
Hey guys I have a question that my friends and I were debating the other day.

How high do you think you'd get from Gloom's excretions? Furthermore, do you think the high would be more or less intense if you licked Gloom, or ate the excretion, or just touched it??

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: July 12, 2016, 12:48:59 pm »
You don't get high. It smells so bad you just puke if you get it in your mouth.

The Creepachu looks like a mushroom pokemon that disguises itself as other pokemon.

That's exactly what it is, except it's a blanket ghost and not a mushroom. Its ability is "disguise".
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3221 on: July 12, 2016, 01:13:09 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8RtqxGM8TQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8RtqxGM8TQ</a>

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: July 12, 2016, 01:14:19 pm »
Hey guys I have a question that my friends and I were debating the other day.

How high do you think you'd get from Gloom's excretions? Furthermore, do you think the high would be more or less intense if you licked Gloom, or ate the excretion, or just touched it??

too high

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3223 on: July 12, 2016, 01:17:33 pm »
Oh and before you misjudge, I'm not a Alex Jones fan. I'm not that crazy. :u

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NADEKHmwbXE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NADEKHmwbXE</a>

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: July 12, 2016, 10:10:36 pm »
I guess Pikaboo is growing on me a bit.  Giant red panda just looks weird and generic.

Thank you for showing me the dangers of Pokymon, Alex Jones.  I love how he keeps going back and forth between games are okay and this one is kinda cool, to video games will rot your brain and destroy everything you know and love.
Probably not a Goat, either.