Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 342122 times)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #3165 on: July 10, 2016, 03:01:41 am »
The PokeStops and Gym locations are directly from the game Ingress, which was also developed by Niantic. For some reason, Pokemon spawning is also centralised around these areas. So if there weren't any Ingress portals in your area, you get no Pokemon. You used to be able to submit portal locations to Ingress, but they couldn't handle all the requests, so they stopped accepting them.

Hopefully they will change this for Pokemon Go. I live in a capital city now, so I expect to have a better situation. But I used to live in the middle of nowhere, and it would have been a huge bummer not to be able to play this game.

Here's someone's picture of playing in a rural area.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: July 10, 2016, 03:46:24 am »
What sort of pokermons do they have in Helsinki?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: July 10, 2016, 04:56:39 am »
I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I get a new phone and the game up and running. Still waiting for the official release in Europe before I do anything.

My phone is too ****ty for a lot of VR/AR things apparently. And I may need to do some VR-related stuff in my line of work, so I should get a new phone, anyway.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:03:37 am by Great Distance »

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: July 10, 2016, 09:37:01 am »
I've reached level 5 and officially declared for the yellow team. All the gyms near me are still relatively weak (mid 100s) and only really controlled by two or three players. Makes sense given its not out. I could get a really good head start over other Dublin folks. >:D
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:29 am »
Or you could cycle back and forth on route 7 for fifty hours and then beat those Dublin folks at an actual videogame.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: July 10, 2016, 10:38:38 am »
The two gyms I can see from my apartment change hands fairly regularly.  Right now they're headed by a 799 Pidgeot and a 687 Golbat.  I'm nowhere near being able to compete with that.  I guess I should go loiter in more parking lots.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3171 on: July 10, 2016, 01:24:06 pm »
I've reached level 5 and officially declared for the yellow team.

>yellow team

JESUS ****ING CHRIST it's like you idiots are trying to look like plebs.

If you aren't Red, you're a dickbag. Blue is acceptable, but inferior. Yellow? Go home kid, I think it is dinner time. ****ING YELLOW! WHAT A WASTE OF HUMAN LIFE. YELLOW!!! HAH! You'd be better served picking green team because at least that team isn't in the game.

JESUS.
I have never played this game and have no idea what I am talking about.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: July 10, 2016, 01:43:12 pm »

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: July 10, 2016, 01:50:08 pm »
Found a totally unclaimed gym in the park today. I claimed it, of course, but my Pokemon was beaten and kicked out like 5 minutes later. This park was very large and empty on a drizzly Sunday, so it's possible I have a PokéStalker.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3174 on: July 10, 2016, 01:56:31 pm »
Yesterday I was walking through town with a buddy of mine that plays. I don't know if he saw it, but I did.

There were two groups in front of us and a group behind us, all doing the same thing in about the same order. And at least at our point in the line, we'd just keep undoing the work of the people in front of us. Not sure if they even knew we were there and we were only yards apart.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: July 10, 2016, 02:52:33 pm »
I've reached level 5 and officially declared for the yellow team.

>yellow team

JESUS ****ING CHRIST it's like you idiots are trying to look like plebs.

If you aren't Red, you're a dickbag. Blue is acceptable, but inferior. Yellow? Go home kid, I think it is dinner time. ****ING YELLOW! WHAT A WASTE OF HUMAN LIFE. YELLOW!!! HAH! You'd be better served picking green team because at least that team isn't in the game.

JESUS.
I have never played this game and have no idea what I am talking about.

Going entirely by the birds they're based on Blue is the best. I don't know what anyone could possibly think otherwise, Articuno is the most ****able legendary bird and also ice type is the tits.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: July 10, 2016, 02:54:32 pm »
Team Instinct will rise, fools! Prepare yourself!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3177 on: July 10, 2016, 02:57:12 pm »
Going entirely by the birds they're based on Blue is the best. I don't know what anyone could possibly think otherwise, Articuno is the most ****able legendary bird and also ice type is the tits.

Sidenote about TCG. The three birds are all decent. Moltres is the best in terms of cost/damage. Articuno is second-best because of how the energy works, though his attack offers paralysis which can be nice. Zapdos sucks you might as well use a (Dark)Raichu.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: July 10, 2016, 04:12:45 pm »
While out running errands today it did seem like there were more people than usual on the sidewalks and groups just hanging out in parking lots.  But that might just be confirmation bias.  I also learned of a cemetery in the area I didn't know about when I saw three pokeshops in a row a few streets over at Statue of Jesus, Praying Jesus, and Vietnamese Jesus.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3179 on: July 10, 2016, 04:19:55 pm »
Friendly reminder: be respectful on cemetery grounds and don't be loud or destructive.

Get your Pokemon and leave, don't loiter.

If you're young and maybe think it would be fun to push a headstone over, don't. If it falls on you... well, at least you're already at the cemetery.