Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341190 times)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #3135 on: July 08, 2016, 10:43:47 am »
Yeah, I was saying that if they put Pokemon Go into 3DS, maybe the 3DS version of Pokemon Go could have battle mechanics. Or they could make a completely different Pokemon game for the 3DS, but one that also incorporates AR.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: July 08, 2016, 01:53:42 pm »
I don't think what Iwata said necessarily excludes the possibility of some kind of battle or competition mechanic in pokemon go. The spirit of his argument is that you can't just do direct ports because essentially you end up watering down your own franchise with sub-par ports of successful games. So pokemon go will never play like an actual pokemon game. But I don't think it excludes some sort of simple battle game you can play with nerdlingers you meet out and about which is either based mostly on chance or tied in some way to solo "training" minigames or just number of logged steps or something.

His statements are also a little open to interpretation. If you take the first bolded statement at face value then nintendo shouldn't have made pokemon go at all since it has the same characters and themes as pokemon games. 
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3137 on: July 08, 2016, 02:20:22 pm »
Nah, if you take it at face value, my desire for Pokemon Go on the 3DS is foolish.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: July 08, 2016, 03:47:59 pm »
He was definitely right about direct ports.  I tried a Terraria demo on my tablet one time and the controls were terrible to the point of being unplayable.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: July 08, 2016, 07:56:46 pm »
Also to play PoGo on a 3DS you need a SIM card capable 3DS otherwise as soon as you leave the wifi you lose connection which removes the go from Pokemon go.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3140 on: July 09, 2016, 03:09:56 am »
Also to play PoGo on a 3DS you need a SIM card capable 3DS otherwise as soon as you leave the wifi you lose connection which removes the go from Pokemon go.

Excellent point!

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: July 09, 2016, 07:47:57 am »
Okay so I've successfully taken the game out with me and caught some Pokemon / found some pokestops. Here are my thoughts.

The game's fun, it's a cool idea, but it's not without flaws. For example I'm disappointed by how "heavy" the app feels. It takes a long time to start up on my iPhone 6 - a splash screen for niantic followed by a loading screen, probably over a minute on average. Doesn't sound like much but keep in mind you're using this app outside where your phone frequently needs to go back in your pocket. And again that would be fine if the app weren't also pretty unstable. Very often I'd unlock my phone and come to a black screen and have to restart the app, and sometimes when the app didn't crash, I'd be unable to rotate my view of the map.

I think they made a mistake with the map screen. It's a full 3D view of a flat, google maps style plane with your 3D avatar walking around on top. A lot of computational power for a little phone to render, for not so much of a reward:

They could have afforded to pare down this screen - perhaps a more orthographic or even 2D view with a simpler avatar, and more effort to make gyms and pokestops look a little less like weird postmodern art sculptures hovering ominously in the sky. Maybe even stylise it so it looks more like the Pokemon games. It's a shame also that the current map ignores height data, because that information is absolutely out there and accessible, and would give the game much more variety to choose from when it comes to assigning Pokemon types to locations. (This is done to some extent. I found a staryu near a pond in the park. However, this park was also occupied almost exclusively by seels.)

What's weird is this approach would also have reduced the strain on the phone, and speed should be paramount for an app that encourages this kind of movement and spontaneity.

A more lightweight app would also allow something else I'm amazed isn't included - notifications. So I don't want to get bogged down by constant pings that a Pokemon is nearby, but maybe for the next 5 or 10 minutes after I've been playing, I might be able to get some vibration telling me there's a pidgey that needs catchin'. The app does have a 'battery saver' mode but this isn't much more than just displaying a black screen when the phone is upside down.

It's possible it's just because I'm playing in an area where the game hasn't actually been released yet, so I'll just ask - do other trainers show up on your map? In videos I've seen of people playing the game bumping into each other in public places, they always seem surprised, so I'm inclined to think the answer is no. I hope it's the case that you can see and interact with them on your screen because this to me seems like the central premise of Pokemon - people trading and battling their Pokemon.

There is a small social element with gyms, where players can leave their Pokemon to defend in the name of their chosen team, and other teams' players can cooperate to reclaim the gym. But it's a very indirect kind of cooperation.

Pat I disagree with you that the AR is the game. The real time map element is absolutely the central mechanic. In fact the AR comes with a very obvious 'off' switch on the UI, and I imagine that's how most people will be playing. Switching off the AR changes the background to a more familiarly Pokemon-esque graphical background and allows you to relax your hand (which would otherwise have to be held up pointing the camera forward, making you look like a weirdo in public) so that you can focus on catching the damn thing. The AR seems like something most people will try for a bit when they first start playing, and maybe only occasionally again from time to time.

I've had issues with the server being down or the app being unable to locate me, but I imagine niantic's servers are under a lot of load at the moment. I never got a chance to play the game for more than ten minutes yesterday as the server was down the entire time I was out of the house. I think they're down again now. Hopefully this'll clear up in a week or so.

So all that stuff aside I like it! As I said before I really like that the game has a ton of local landmarks marked. (See behind me in the map screenshot above? That's a historic park.) It's still very satisfying to catch a Pokemon though individual Pokemon feel a lot more disposable compared to the traditional games. I'm disappointed they chose to go a very overly graphically intensive route. Save that stuff for the Pokemon, nobody cares about their trainer avatar.

Looking forward to getting to level five so I can start taking gyms. :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:50:41 am by Sugarplum Tesla »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3142 on: July 09, 2016, 08:37:25 am »
I wish I could get you jerks this interested in Nintendo's actual video games. Thanks for the review!

Also I think you misinterpreted my post on AR. I was just doing a detailed (that short post was about all I could get) explanation of what I liked about that specific feature that I admitted in the post was a small aspect and "is what it is".

Also Emmet uraqt.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: July 09, 2016, 10:48:19 am »
I like it. Team Yellow baby.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: July 09, 2016, 11:38:17 am »
Just went out to buy an external charger for my phone today, because I read that Pokemon Go is really intensive on your battery.

Still haven't bought a phone that can play it. But seeing that the date for global release has been pushed back due to server issues, I think I can wait. I'd rather play it without the server crashing every 10 minutes.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: July 09, 2016, 12:24:44 pm »
I think the idea, Tesla, is that you're supposed to walk around with your phone out. It makes you sort of look like a tosser, but, well, that's the game.

Usually when I need to cross a street or something I just drop my phone in my pocket while it's on.

Also, if you're getting stuck not being able to move your screen but the game's still running, try clicking on the compass? It makes the game respond to your phone orientation for map direction instead of your fingers. Might fix it, might not.

I agree with you, though. I think it could've been way more lightweight.

No, there are no trainer interactions or way to see people on the map. The only way to interact at all is in a vague way, through Pokestop lures and gym stuff. No real battles, either. That kind of sounds like a fantastic way to snatch kids, to be honest, so I can see why they didn't.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: July 09, 2016, 02:47:21 pm »
You can definitely tell that the game didn't come from just the usual Pokemon people.  The map feels very much like a derivative of Google Earth, and while I don't know much about Ingress, the weird design of gyms seems like it would be more fitting in that game.

All of the gyms and pokeshops in the immediate area are on fountains or gazebos in neighboring subdivisions and apartment complexes, and I'm not going to go walking through them.  There's one of each I may be able to reach while still on the sidewalk, I'll try again when it isn't blazing hot outside.  I wonder if all the local areas being in fountains is why I'm seeing so many water pokemon.

What's the strongest you all have so far? I have a raticate at 135 and a pidgeotto at 81.

Go Team Blue.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: July 09, 2016, 03:05:21 pm »
I've a level 200 Ponyta, a level 169 Growlithe, and a level 155 Pidgeotto.

Nearest gym is Mystic, I'm Instinct, they've six pokemon in it with none lower than level 300 and the highest being level 763.

Such is life.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: July 09, 2016, 03:12:50 pm »
So Pokemon Go won't be coming out in the UK any time soon

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: July 09, 2016, 03:18:52 pm »