Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341914 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #2715 on: January 13, 2013, 08:49:42 pm »
It's not necessarily a bad thing that the series hasn't changed. Just making sure we don't say things we can't take back. ;)

See, I always thought the series would benefit from shortening the campaign and expanding the endgame. Platinum was stupidly convoluted. Just let me finish the gyms and beat the Elite Four. THEN once you're a Master the fun begins. Maybe you're defending titles? Team Rocket actually has a reason to track you down? Maybe you join them? Maybe you don't! Throw in advanced tournaments that are actually a challenge and require strategy, not just brute force. To me the games are front-heavy and leave very little after you finish the Elite Four.

The games would benefit immensely from allowing us to tell the story of the Master. Yes, we become the Master but then the game ends. Big whoop! Let me finish the standard stuff and then grow into my role as the POKEMASTER.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: January 14, 2013, 08:48:14 pm »
I thought B&W opened up considerably after beating the elite four. They have added more elaborate post game stuff in every generation so I am hopeful for this one in that it will have post game content as well.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2717 on: January 14, 2013, 09:56:11 pm »
It's one of the reasons I loved FFVI so much. Spoilers for the entire damn game follow! You have been warned...

You basically have two games. You have the first part of the game that takes place in the World of Balance before Kefka destroys everything and creates the World of Ruin. The WoB section of the game is essentially where you learn how to do everything. You'll be shown how things work, the difficulty steadily ramps up, and the story moves at an exciting pace. In the end you fight a tough fight with Atma Weapon, the "final boss" of the WoB and then Kefka wins and destroys everything, creating the World of Ruin.

The WoR portion of the game is where the gloves come off. Nothing is easy. Everything is a challenge and everything wants to kill you and you've gotta work your ass off to get your character to a place where they can compete. The story slows down significantly here and instead focuses on smaller character arcs and other plots that flesh out the world. And you are allowed to face Kefka and finish the game very soon after waking up in the WoR. But it would be wise to at least try to find your former party members and convince them to come back. There are also secret characters, lots and lots of great weapons, armor, accessories, and magicite to collect, and a few hidden bosses and story scenes for people that really love to snoop.

It's very cool and really lets you play with what the game has to offer mechanically. Even better is that dedicated players can still grind their way to become godlike warriors with amazing summons and spells. And even then the final fight is still a challenge and something that can definitely kill you. It's a ton of fun and I wish more games worked in this manner. Not to the letter, but I feel like something is wrong when I'm past the half-way point and the game is still giving me hints and tips and generally trying to make things easy on me.

You know? Like... come on, I know how to play. Show me what you got. Do your worst. That kinda thing. We need more of that.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: January 19, 2013, 08:42:42 pm »
As long as the fire starter doesnt evolve into a fire/fighting type again. I'll be fine with it.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: January 20, 2013, 02:43:16 am »
Why is it so many people don't like the fire/fighting starter?

Also,

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:13:29 am by Ultimatum »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2720 on: January 20, 2013, 05:11:14 pm »
Another thing I think the series could benefit from would be a pruning of the Pokedex. There are way too many bull**** Pokemon.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: January 21, 2013, 06:02:45 am »
Some you have some other thread to be wrong in, Pat?

We need more bull**** pokemon. Trubbish and Vanillite are awesome.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2722 on: January 21, 2013, 08:08:05 am »
I <3 ZebraSofa!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: January 21, 2013, 09:59:08 am »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2724 on: January 21, 2013, 10:06:41 am »

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: January 21, 2013, 12:35:37 pm »

Check out the dude's tumblr
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:23:12 am by Ultimatum »

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: January 26, 2013, 01:33:07 am »
Why is it so many people don't like the fire/fighting starter?

It was cool 1st time round in R/S. In D/P it was really again well ok at least the other starters are unique. by the time B/W hits it was just oh come the smeg on your not even trying anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: January 27, 2013, 02:32:46 pm »
But... but its name is a palindrome!
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: January 27, 2013, 09:28:56 pm »
No love for Giraffes?