Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 342069 times)

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #2355 on: May 21, 2010, 11:17:44 pm »
Great.  See what you did? Now we got Dick Grayson on our butts.

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 23, 2010, 06:30:51 pm »
I. Hate. Revenge.

GAAAAHHHH
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 25, 2010, 03:20:14 pm »
I prefer payback. Neg Sped Foretress FTW.

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 26, 2010, 08:30:49 am »
Ok, scrap that, I despise pain split and confuse ray more.

GODDAMNED MISDREAVUS GAH
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 26, 2010, 03:54:41 pm »
I FKKING hate Game Freak for not putting some way to check your EVs in game, I have to record everything on a piece of paper I keep with me at all times, and with my cell phone gone, I can’t even check to see which Pokémon gives which (i have to run it all by memory) I also noticed that many of the early routes seem to be built entirely for EV training for speed and attack, did GF do that on purpose?

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: May 26, 2010, 04:05:58 pm »
EV training was an accident. It was a hidden mechanic that people started exploiting so GF added the effort ribbon and stuff.

There are resources on serebii.net to help find pokemon and locations for EV training.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 26, 2010, 04:21:36 pm »
Actually as of HG and SS there are ways to keep slight track of it. There is someone I think maybe in Blackthorn but I'm probably wrong who will tell you which of a pokemons IVs are the highest I think they even can tell you what the stat is in around about way. Diferent phrases meaning different ranges of IV like if the attack value is between say 20 and 25 IV then they may say it is a great attacker or something like that.

Keeping track of EVs just stick a Macho brace get the Pokerus and when the pokemon stops getting massive stat boosts each level up then you have maxed that stat. You can also do it using the stat reducing berries and some save scumming if you can be bothered.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 27, 2010, 07:07:07 pm »
EV training was an accident. It was a hidden mechanic that people started exploiting so GF added the effort ribbon and stuff.

There are resources on serebii.net to help find pokemon and locations for EV training.

If it was programed in how the heck could it be an "accident?"

Actually as of HG and SS there are ways to keep slight track of it. There is someone I think maybe in Blackthorn but I'm probably wrong who will tell you which of a pokemons IVs are the highest I think they even can tell you what the stat is in around about way. Diferent phrases meaning different ranges of IV like if the attack value is between say 20 and 25 IV then they may say it is a great attacker or something like that.

Keeping track of EVs just stick a Macho brace get the Pokerus and when the pokemon stops getting massive stat boosts each level up then you have maxed that stat. You can also do it using the stat reducing berries and some save scumming if you can be bothered.

Thanks, with that info I can guess into, oh, about twenty different values. That's not the problem; I know that, it’s just that I lost my EV paper so now I'm literally fighting blind. I was able to save scum and find out my Totadile's speed stat with a ten point margin of error, but aside from that, I'm running cold.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:10:05 pm by Lush City »

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 27, 2010, 07:35:17 pm »
There is a slightly tedious way to narrow that down. Basically you enter a battle that earns you one EV in that stat then check to see if it takes one extra berry to remove all the stats if not re-boot and earn 2 EV points so on so forth until you need an extra berry.

As you can see the people who take this real serious have no lives.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 27, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »
That sounds tedious and silly.  You can still just level the buggers up and not worry about every single stat, right?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 27, 2010, 09:54:39 pm »
Like said a few posts back the best way to do it is via having pokerus and and the macho brace and then just fight Speed EV pokemon you will notice you have maxed the EV for that stat when you start getting only 2 or 3 points increase in the stat on level up instead of say 8.

gec05

« Reply #2366 on: May 27, 2010, 10:11:46 pm »
Not true! Professor Oak always tells me that if I just love my Pokemon, nothing else matters! >:(

Pssh! EV training... ::)

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 28, 2010, 12:59:48 am »
@Lush - EVs were programmed in, people EV training was an unintentional accident.

They were put in to give the stats you get upon levelling up the illusion of randomness. Someone found out about it. EV training started out as an exploit.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 28, 2010, 06:11:47 am »
Not true! Professor Oak always tells me that if I just love my Pokemon, nothing else matters! >:(

Pssh! EV training... ::)

Exactly.  You guys are overcomplicating things way too much.  It's like this friend of mine who wanted to play the game on "hard" mode, wherein anytime one of his pokemon fainted, he was not allowed to ever use it again, and can only catch one pokemon in each area..
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

gec05

« Reply #2369 on: May 28, 2010, 10:06:49 am »
It was just announced that Black and White will be released in Japan this Fall. Americans will get a Spring 2011 release. Just as I thought.

Also, is it just me or do Reshiram and Zekrom almost have the same design characteristics of Palkia and Arceus?

Scroll to the bottom two.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:09:03 am by Gec »