Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 342359 times)

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #1860 on: September 25, 2009, 07:10:44 pm »
Me and a RL friend have been discussing double battles and combinations not seen to often. 'll share one just to hear opinions.

~Shuckle~
-Moves-
.Rollout
.Gyro Ball
.Power Trick
.Attract
Nature: Relaxed

~Cherrim~
-Moves-
.Sunny Day
.Solar Beam
.Helping Hand or Rollout
.Attract or Ghostwhistle

Little known fact, Cherrim transforms when in Sunny Weather. I think this provides a Special Attack boost. The important thing about Sunny Day is the ability of Cherrim, Flower Gift. This gives a 50% boost to attack and special defense for the partner (It might work for Cherrim too). Not to mention Sunny Day increases resistance to water by 50% for everyone on the field.

One of Shuckle's weaknesses is water. He's Bug/Rock type. We're banking on the idea that he looks like a water type, so the enemy will be discouraged from using water moves to defeat Shuckle.

Shuckle already has AMAZING defensive stats. See the link to his Bulbapedia page. The majority of his stats are in Defense and Special Defense. This also makes him a VERY slow Pokemon. Gyro Ball.

"Gyro Ball inflicts more damage the slower the user is compared to the target."

Power Trick may not be necessary, but it can be useful for switching Shuckle's attack and defense stats. Now he's a glass cannon.

Sunny day removes the cooldown for Solar Beam. Cherrim now has a very powerful attack as well.

Attract/Grasswhistle for obvious reasons. Both can have Attract. Might switch out Attract on Cherrim for Ghostwhistle (causes opponent to sleep)

Cherrim can also learn Rollout. We're debating whether Cherrim should have it or helping hand. Because Cherrim is faster than Shuckle, helping hand should always work.

Cute Pair, maybe. But it could work out to be an amazing combination. Though Cherrim is the obvious weakness. We'll be counting on Attract/Grasswhistle.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: September 25, 2009, 07:30:39 pm »
Met. You just made Shuckle and Cherrim my new favorite tag team.

Nope, Ice Fang. Croconaw(spelling..?). It gets it at level 16-17. Awesome against your rivals starter :D
No way! :O
I wonder what Quilava learns!
*runs off to Bulbapedia page*
Holy crap it learns Lava Plume at level 35. :O
To bad that will do nothing to your rivals starter. :/
I defiantly getting totodile as my starter now.
Hm... Seems Feraligatr learns Hydro Pump twice.

You'll never know why.
<_< Ż\[ ◕O ◕]/Ż >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #1862 on: September 25, 2009, 07:35:47 pm »
Met. You just made Shuckle and Cherrim my new favorite tag team.

They are a decent pair. We have quite a few combo ideas. We usually find them by complete accident.

I had an Idea for Smeargle as a Single or Double Battler.

Sketch Lock-On and Sheer Cold.
-First Turn: Lock On. (Next turn will automatically hit)
-Second Turn: Sheer Cold. (Guaranteed Knock-out)

I chose Sheer Cold as Guillotine and Horn Drill are both normal moves. Can't hit Ghosts. Fissure is a ground move. Can't hit flying. Sheer Cold is Ice. It can hit everything.

Lots you can do with Smeargle. I'm thinking about adding Explosion and Transform for splits and giggles.

Keep in mind that Smeargle has REALLY low base stats.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: September 26, 2009, 11:52:43 am »
One of Shuckle's weaknesses is water. He's Bug/Rock type. We're banking on the idea that he looks like a water type, so the enemy will be discouraged from using water moves to defeat Shuckle.

Assuming that your opponent doesn't know how to play the game is not good strategy.

Shuckle already has AMAZING defensive stats. See the link to his Bulbapedia page. The majority of his stats are in Defense and Special Defense. This also makes him a VERY slow Pokemon. Gyro Ball.

"Gyro Ball inflicts more damage the slower the user is compared to the target."

Shuckle has base 10 attack. Even a 120 base power Gyro Ball isn't going to do much to anything. Not to mention that Steel is a poor attacking type, and Shuckle doesn't even get STAB on it.

Power Trick may not be necessary, but it can be useful for switching Shuckle's attack and defense stats. Now he's a glass cannon.
With five speed and defenses of ten. Dies instantly.

Cherrim can also learn Rollout. We're debating whether Cherrim should have it or helping hand. Because Cherrim is faster than Shuckle, helping hand should always work.

Cherrim's attack power is bad. Rollout is even worse. Why would you combine them?

In conclusion, this is a horrible strategy and you shouldn't do it.

Also, using Lock-On just tells your opponent HEY SWITCH NOW I'M GOING TO USE A LOW ACCURACY ATTACK THAT WILL MISS COMPLETELY AND WASTE A TURN. Then whatever switches in kills Smeargle.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: September 26, 2009, 12:15:53 pm »
Listen to him, he knows his pokemon.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: September 26, 2009, 09:44:32 pm »

Assuming that your opponent doesn't know how to play the game is not good strategy.

Even I thought this was a glearingly poor part of the stratergy.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #1866 on: September 27, 2009, 03:33:58 pm »
"Banking" wasn't the right term. I still think the team has merit.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: September 27, 2009, 03:55:43 pm »
Wow, you guys really dissect your Pokemon. I just play the game.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: September 27, 2009, 03:57:50 pm »
I'd have to agree with cow. I usually take a day or two, and I just play, I don't make a chart listing the E.V. points of all pokemon, or something.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: September 27, 2009, 06:26:10 pm »

LURK CRUSH PUNY HUMAN

Er, I mean... that's cool, I guess.

Anyway, the most obvious partner for Cherrim is Groudon, but there'll never be a situation where you can viably use the two together. Apart from him, the best thing you can probably pair up with Cherrim in a double battle is obviously a sweeper of some kind with STAB on a physical fire-type attack. Arcanine, maybe? Intimidate can protect Cherrim from physical attacks, to an extent, and a Flare Blitz with STAB, Sunny Day and Flower Gift all powering it up is really powerful, especially from Arcanine's powerful Attack stat.

Maybe put Protect on Cherrim, so that it lives to give out its boost for longer.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #1870 on: September 27, 2009, 08:27:15 pm »
We don't allow legendaries in our parties..

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: September 28, 2009, 06:30:39 am »
Fortunately, Arcanine isn't legendary.

Blaziken might work almost as well, being able to hit slightly harder than Arcanine and having better physical moves available, but he is a bit slower and less durable.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline flabe

• Sea Battler
  • .___.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: December 06, 2009, 01:06:13 am »
Hey I’ve been thinking about making a Pokemon game down in the storytelling and rping board. My other game is on standby right now. It would be spirited (with premade and custom sprites) and some hand-drawn pictures.

I’m telling you guys because it’s going to be in a new region with new pokemon, and I need some other pokefans to help me with ideas. Like starter ideas, other wild pokemon, maybe a new type, and some basic region layout (more islands, mostly desert, etc).

And maybe you don’t start out in the usual small town and get your 1st pokemon from a professor. You could live in the big city and rescue your starter from the streets.  I don’t want this to be the normal plot with the predictable storyline.

I’ve just always wanted to play a pokemon game how I wanted it to be. Its going to be a open ended/sandbox game. You can join with team rocket if you wanted to, make your own team, be a professor, an archaeologist, a gym leader, whatever.

I just kinda jumbled this post together but this could be fun. Who wants to help out?

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: December 06, 2009, 02:04:49 am »
I could help out.

You'll never know why.
<_< Ż\[ ◕O ◕]/Ż >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: December 06, 2009, 09:01:40 am »
I might help with the map.
No way dude, you're trolling me.