Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341131 times)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #1650 on: May 11, 2008, 06:50:57 am »
BL is Borderline.

But having two weaknesses isn't a tremendous advantage. Electric has one weakness. Water has two; as does Flying.

Venusaur's Poison typing does nothing for it, other than allow it's SubSeed-ing to be better witha  STAB Sludge Bomb. All it does is neutralise it's Ground Resistance and add a weakness to Psychic. Oh, wow, Venusaur resists Grass more than ever. That removes all those serious grass threats killing my Venusaur with Grass moves! (Having said that, switching my Venusaur in on a Sceptile's Leaf Storm was quite an enjoyable experience. Special attack harshly falling and dealing around 25 damage.)
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 12, 2008, 06:55:20 am »
Y'know what typing I hate? Flying/Normal. What's the point in giving flying the fighting resistance then?

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 12, 2008, 10:33:36 am »
Very true. Just let them be pure Flying types!

That typing makes the a Normal type who is weak to Rock, Electric and Ice. Thus, crap.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: May 12, 2008, 03:06:06 pm »
I am 16, and ashamed to say that I wish my gameboy still worked, so as I could play some pokemon. I have always loved magnemite and the pokemon he evolved into(I can't remember its name). All these new fangled pokemon confuse me, I'm used to the original 150, but I really want to play!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:51:02 pm by swamp »
Kings 2:23-24 --- The Holy Bible
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 12, 2008, 03:21:59 pm »
I am 16, and ashamed to say that I wish my gameboy still worked, so as I could play some pokemon. I have alway magnemite and the pokemon he evolved into(I can't remember its name). All these new fangled pokemon confuse me, I'm used to the original 150, but I really want to play!

Magnemite evolved into Magneton.  It may also interest you to know that in the newest games Megneton could evolve into Magnezone.   :)
Definitely worth buying if you own a DS.  I'm 21, and I still play regularly.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 13, 2008, 03:50:49 am »
 :o Thats cool, I have a PSP and i wish nintendo would make some PSP version of pokemon, if they did... OH LAWDY I would buy em. Hell, I'm even working to raise some money to get a DS, simply so I can play that Diamond, or whatever. Man, I can just remember the fun I used to have playing that games prequel with my neighbor all through elementary school. I think the reason I always liked that game is it gave you such a limitless ability to be different from other players.
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youth.

Offline Oberic

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 13, 2008, 05:00:06 am »
Welcome to the entry hall swamp, some of the old pokémon evolve now, and next gen more likely will. soo yeah! er.. something like that.. btw, you made me decide to train another magnezone (my other is too close to 100, I want one at 50)

If it matters, I'll be 21 this year, and still playin' pokémon. Basically always had a Pokémon game since they started... It's too fun.

The whole age thing is, people played it when they were young, so they think it's a "kids" game, ya know? Well it's too deep for that. More detail in the level/stat system and stuff than most RPGs I've played.

The show sucks, except to see pokémon animate in greater detail.
The spin-off games .. Well I haven't played one, but they suck too. heh?
And the toys are just overpriced junk.
But the main game is easily one of the best series of games that exists.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 13, 2008, 01:49:31 pm »
Yeah, this really make me want to get diamond, sadly... I don't have a DS. How much do you buying a DS and Diamond would cost. BTW, I mustered up the courage to go to "Bulbapedia" and I see that now almost everything evolves, except for good old Farfetch'd, what a sucky idea for a pokemon...

gec05

« Reply #1658 on: May 13, 2008, 04:14:35 pm »
A shiny new DS will run you about $130 USD plus $30 for the game.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 13, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »
A shiny new DS will run you about $130 USD plus $30 for the game.
Ouch, I feel a strange burning sensation in my wallet.

Offline Oberic

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 14, 2008, 03:47:37 am »
Always wanted to do this!
If you rent a movie, It's two hours long. Lets say, for $3.50, you watch it once. That means you paid $1.75 an hour for entertainment.

If you count your play time on Pokémon as $1.75 an hour, you only have to play about 92 hours for the game to pay for itself ($30) and a ($130) DS. Weird huh? Better, you get to keep the game, and play more, basically beating the entertainment money black hole system thing.

My play time locked at 999:59 hours about 2 months ago or something like that. And if I add my play time from Ruby and Fire Red (Transferred almost everything over).. That adds up to..
..365 hours Ruby.
.+240 hours Fire Red (about 300 probably, but just to be safe...)
.+1000 hours +about 280 on Diamond.
=1825 Hours X $1.75
= $1042. OK, so my Diamond game would be worth over a thousand dollars at the rate of $1.75 an hour. Or $571 just for the capped 1000 hours. At a lousy rate.

Purpose of this idiocy.. Pokémon is worth the money. (Kinda like Spore will be worth the money many times over.)

Was this stupid? Whatever, I'm outta coffee.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 14, 2008, 04:54:55 am »
Whatever, I'm outta coffee.

Poor man. If there was anything I could do to help, I would.

*Sips tasty coffee*

Mmm.

I'm starting to thinknthat it might be time to start taking wagers on what the names of the fifth gen will be. Takin' all bets! Bonus for getting the the yellow/crystal/emerald/(opal) one.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Draugr

• Zork Emperor
  • ORGASMIC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 14, 2008, 04:54:35 pm »
Your point is taken and understood and agreed with, but simply, I don't have 150$ at the moment. Perhaps in the near future I will be able to afford a DS, but not now. I wish I could trade in my barely used PSP for a DS.

Offline Oberic

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 15, 2008, 01:01:03 am »
Guessing the fifth gen huh? Well I've been wrong every other time, so I'll give it a shot!

Oh, first I think the D&P "Expansion" will be called Platinum.

Ok, Onyx (basically black) and Opal (basically white) and the legends will be Dark and Psychic Dragons. That look too powerful to be trapped in a little half white sphere. One made the stars, the other laid eggs which hatched into planets. Or some other stupidity like that...

_ModifyBegin_
Oh yeah, I forgot.. My l'il bro wanted me to tell y'all his Shiny Nincada evolved, and the Shedinja came out shiny too. That's two shinies for the cost of one.  We think the Shedinja will always be shiny if the Nincada is.

And I got me a Shiny Lickitung, preeeetttyyy cool shade of greenish yellow, kinda lemon colored, and shaped once it evolves.. hmm. "Lemon".. Yeah that'll work.
It's currently got Max HP EVs, and an even as I can get split for Sp.Def and Def EVs..
_ModifyEnd_

I have discovered the power of small fonts to release END my boredom!! HAHAHAH!!

Crazy Pokémon idea time, yeah yeah whatever. I'm bored.
Guinnea Pig with blue Ram horns.
A Pillow with big gnarly muscles.
Give me a Pizza with stalk eyes and tennis shoes.. And hairy, ugly legs with knobby Knees!!
C'mon! think of some! They don't gotta make sense!... Heh..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:12:58 am by Oberic »

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 15, 2008, 03:10:36 am »
If any of you guys missed it, the third version was actually announced to be Platinum.  (Which was very obvious, they were never going to go with something as awkward sounding as Opal or Topaz, plus it fits in.  Platinum should have really been the third version for Gold and Silver, and Crystal for Diamond and Pearl.  At least this way they've sort of aknowledged that they screwed up.   :P

The new features announced thus far are:

• A new costume for the player trainers.
  • A battle island, similar to the Frontier in Emerald
  • New forms of a few of the Pokemon (Origin Giratina, Flying Regigigas and some kind of Ice form for Shaymin)
  • The underground is now wi-fi enabled
  • And the storyline has been changed slightly, but unfortunately it seems to be exactly the same twists Emerald pulled.

Volkner (The 8th gym leader) has been replaced, chances are he's now the League Champion, with Cynthia being promoted to the new "ultimate trainer".  And again we have Dialga and Palkia fighting, with the third, more powerful guy coming in to put a stop to it all.  Yawn.  I didn't enjoy the battle frontier because of how much the A.I. would cheat, and adding in exactly the same story elements is beyond lazy.

Still, if anyone is looking to buy one of the games sometime in the future, this would be the one to wait for.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/platinum/02.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 04:14:30 am by WinterSnowblind »