Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341728 times)

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #1635 on: April 17, 2008, 05:36:50 am »
searcher thing?

If there's another Pokemon game coming, I want more variety in the wild, yes, and more variety overall. More pokemon! More! (I'm not talking about more new pokemon, but rather more from older games added on)

BTW, I don't really like the idea of a pokemon following you everywhere you go. It would get annoying, wouldn't it?
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: April 17, 2008, 08:53:03 am »
Its not going to happen, but I would be extremely grateful if the next Pokemon game finally deviated from the tiresome template of the old games. Every game since the series inception has just been a rehash of the previous games with more and more ancillary features shoved in in a half-hearted attempt to pacify the demands of fans for new stuff.

Here's what I'd like to see from a new pokemon game:

Take out the arbitrary restrictions on where you go and cut out the linearity of the story.
I stopped playing my copy of Diamond before I'd even beaten half the gyms. Why? Because I'm sick of being restricted from areas of the game for totally arbitrary reasons. Oh no! Psyduck are blocking my path. Oh, fantastic, the road is out. Great, I don't have the right HM.
If the creators stopped resting on their laurels they could have a game where travel is unrestricted, but which still has a story tying it together. If a new game comes out I want to be able to go all the way to a semifinal area of the game without even visiting a single gym, then go back to the first gym with level 50 pokemon and kick that guy's ass.

No more lame rival, no more professor tree, no more Team Non-Sequitor. I don't want to see another 'agonising' choice on my part between Fire, Water and Grass type monsters. Let me play as some stupid bug-catcher kid that starts out with no pokedex and only a caterpie to his name and only actually gets a pokedex half way through the game when his rise to prominence in the pokemon trainer community catches the attention of a wealthy sponsor. Or how about playing as a cop in the pokemon world, charged with hunting down some poke-criminals with the help of his police growlithe? The possibilities are endless, and yet we've so far seen the same damn game four times in a row.

More variety in pokemon as suggested by WSB would also be nice. Somehow I don't see how an ecosystem consisting entirely of geodudes and bellsprouts working. They should make more of the day/night thing, and maybe add a seasonal aspect as well.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: April 17, 2008, 11:04:43 am »
BTW, I don't really like the idea of a pokemon following you everywhere you go. It would get annoying, wouldn't it?

Well it worked in Yellow, and I loved it there.  But I did say it should be an option.   :P

I was going to post this earlier, but the site was down, so here's the link for proof.
http://pokebeach.com/#new-pokemon-game-new-pokemon-5th-generation

Seems very likely that this is just the third version of D/P rather than a true sequel.  But who knows

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #1638 on: April 17, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »
Third version? What was the second?
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: April 17, 2008, 01:58:30 pm »
The two versions, Diamond and Pearl?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

gec05

« Reply #1640 on: April 17, 2008, 05:24:32 pm »
stuff

What about Pokemon Ranger or Mystery Dungeon? I wouldn't accuse them of not trying anything new, but if you want to see their main series break the monotony I can understand a bit.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: April 18, 2008, 03:06:21 am »
I dunno... never played those spinoffs. >_>

And theres a difference between trying something different and trying something *too* different. The games still need to preserve the core 'gotta catch 'em all' dynamic.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: April 18, 2008, 09:58:47 am »
pokemon ranger didn't have that core, and PMD was more like, Gotta Recruit em all.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

gec05

« Reply #1643 on: April 19, 2008, 12:49:58 pm »
Well what I figured from the developers concern is that ideally you would rather keep the pokemon you raised being that it's such a long term task for a game. They become so personalized that it becomes difficult to let go, something that if you want to replay the story you'd be forced to erase your previous progress. So they might have purposely made the story not as engaging so that you are not motivated to play through it again so that you will stick with your current progress with your Pokemon.

So what will it be? Good story worth erasing your current file or keep your awesome Pokemon stats?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:52:10 pm by Gec »

Offline Oberic

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 09, 2008, 06:28:13 am »
Well, this hasn't been posted in for a long while, time to start something new.

Obtained Shinies: 29
Fully trained level 50 Pokémon: 108
Fully trained level 100 Pokémon: 33 (34 tommorow)

Longest Pokéradar chain: 55 Phanpy
Battle tower single battle streak: 39

Pokémon defeated 32,751 (EV training and power levelling really stack up!)

Score: 101,319 (was worried it would cap at 99,999)
Play time: 999:59 (it stopped rising a couple months ago..)

Still don't have blacksludge or dragon fang. Or all the battle tower items.

C'mon, you know you wanna post mess like this too!

Subject of the new version of this generation and the next generation:

1. Don't take stuff out, improve stuff and add stuff. Underground is nice, but it needs more stuff, like rugs, posters, different walls and floors.

2.a And I would like to be able to customize things like mine and my pokémon's appearance.

2.b If the pokémon are going to be sprites in the next one, please let us pick between maybe 3 or 4 or more sprites so we won't have the HORRID sprites for Vulpix and to a lesser degree, Ninetails. That was just cruel.

2.c It would be very nice to be able to add things to your pokémon like the SSBM Pokémon had hats and goggles and ribbons and mess like that!..  8)

3. Put a few Spore creatures from the creation corner in. ;D

4. A LOT more seals. This is needed.

5. Make the attack-spot for low level (and all other) moves slightly higher up, this annoys me, make it the absolute tip top of Piplup's head.

6. Kanto is annoying, and Johto sucks. I don't want to go back, unless we get to go to all the lands. That way G/S pokémon will be in Johto mainly.. Ruby pokémon in Hoenn etc.

7.a Fire got NOTHING at all in Diamond and Pearl. one legendary we aren't even allowed to use in 95% of all battles doesn't quite cut it. More fire, and fire + other. be creative with fire, all but the old ones and starters are slow.
Besides that, it's level 70 minimum, can't breed, but is still male or female, making it weaker.

7.b Bugs need more mixing up too. Maybe toss in a Y branch evolve for bug.
Starts bug (pure), then use a fire stone for fire bug or a water stone for water bug.
Make a SEPERATE bug, or maybe the male/female difference use the other two main stones, leaf and thunder. or something to that effect.

7.c Pokémon demands one thing above all other type combos: A Pure Flying type. I thought Swablu was the one, but NO, it's a bleedin' normal type too.

8. I agree with WinterSnowblind about having a pokémon follow you, just make it double happiness rate, and make it optional. I put that pikachu away out of annoyance before, but I always took it back out.
Hearthome was indeed a slap in the face.

9. Sorry this took so long, I have been awake for a very long time.  Pure terror moment: I cut it short, way short. was going to list the unused type combos.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 09, 2008, 07:14:04 am »
Infernape set a new standard for competitive Fire types. You can't really complain about them getting nothing.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: May 10, 2008, 06:33:38 am »
I think type balance really needs to be sorted out.

Steel and Dragon types are just insanley more powerful than the others. Steel resists pretty much everything. Dragons are pretty damn tough. Then there are types like Poison and Bug, which suck.

Think about the Poison Type. 1 Type Advantage; against Grass, which is also weak to Fire, Flying and Bug. Steel is immune to it, and not a single Poison Pokemon I can think of is good, aside from Gengar. Weak to Ground and Psychic; some of the most common attacks.

More good Bugs. Dustox, Mothim, Butterfree, Venomoth and Beautifly are all exactly the same. Crap stats, crap typing, ugly and simply a Butterfly with different wings. The only good bug types I can think of are Heracross, Scizor and Yanmega. 

No more Garchomp or Salamence or whatever. No-one wants to see the same bloody pokemon in every team. Same goes for Blissey.
In recognition of this, the next 600 Stat Pokemon should be an Ice/Steel type, and all BL-ish Pokemon should recieve an evolution, or something to expand the OU tier. Because it's at the stage where me and my friends only ever have UU/NU battles, because we're so damned bored of the same old threats.

More strategic options. It annoys me that if I EV a Garchomp properly, I don't have to think about it's moveset. I just have to keep it away from obvious Ice Threats, and I'm away. This encourages people to all use the same Pokemon, with the same set, and not think up new movesets. It makes the metagame dull; because you're playing 'guess which moveset the opponent stole from Smogon'.

Additionally, add some interesting gameplay features and make the Contests more like anime contests. Actually, to that end have an anime-style Pokemon League aswell, which would be more like the Battle Tower.

They also seriously need to work on a plot. I don't care about Team Whatever; I just want to play Pokemon. Adding occasional Tournaments, or random encounters with people from previous games (Like Lance, or Lt. Surge, or Steven Stone) would be very interesting. Making it feel like you're actually in a world, competing in a real 'sport' to be the very best. When you get better, the challenges should just get harder; (grudge matches with leading personalities.....perhaps setting up a gym.....) They should also make the games much harder; they managed to have massivley better AI in the Battle Tower (although a long way from human) so why not the rest of the game? My friend has a theory that the AI only actually tries to win once you have it down to it's last Pokemon.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:41:56 am by Mr. Consideration »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Oberic

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 11, 2008, 06:01:37 am »
Oh yeah, Infernape, well.. It's a starter. so.. meh.

Grass is also weak against ice. so that's 5 types. Though many grass types are half poison, so that messes up poison. and adds some weaknesses.

Don't forget Venusaur is poison type, that makes two really good poison. What about Seviper, it any good? Mine has modest nature so I can't tell.
And Scyther's base stats when added together are the same as Scizor, if that matters. one is x4 weak to fire, the other x4 weak to rock.

I've always thought poison should be strong against Water, water has the most pokemon, so that would make poison more useful and it makes sense. Ya know, toxic, sludge, acid.. sounds like pollutants to me. We just need oil based moves.. lol.

Oh, and bug should resist psychic. that would make them way better.  I don't think ghost should resist psychic, it IS already immune to normal and fighting.

___
Ok, I don't wanna sound stupid, but I'm currently sleepy again, and can't figure out what some stuff is.. care to explain?
OU tier? UU/NU battles?

Oh, just remembered, May 10th was the day I got Pokémon: Diamond. I got it in Canada, so it has extra french stuff on the back and in the book. Happy Pokébirthday (oh my that sounds dumb) to anyone who got Pokemon last year!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:12:26 am by Oberic »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: May 11, 2008, 06:27:49 am »
In competetive battles, pokemon are organised by tiers: Ubers, Over Used, Under Used and Never Used (There's also BL, though I'm not quite sure what that stands for. It's got things like Arcanine and Blaziken, who are too good for UU -that's got things lik Grumpig and Parasect - but can't quite conpete in OU.)

The idea of this is to keep battles fair; no Mewtwo team versus Butterfree team stuff going on. You'll learn more on Smogon.

Poison only has two weaknesses, one if it levitates like Weezing. It just needs better pokemon and more hardcore moves. I'm kind of hoping for a poison/psychic base 600.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Neoteric

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 11, 2008, 06:45:44 am »
Crobat, Weezing and Roserade are some other decent poison types.

Uber, OU, BL, UU and NU are the Pokemon tiers, the different ranks of Pokemon in the metagame.

Some Pokemon are too powerful for standard play, they would be the only Pokemon ever used. So, to promote diversity, the Pokemon are sorted into tiers. OU (Overused) and BL (Borderline) make up the Standard play in the metagame. You can use UU (Underused) and NU (Never used) in the standard OU/BL matches, but they don't really match up. So, they've got another metagame for themselves, where Ubers, OU and BL Pokemon are banned, hence OU/NU battles. And, of course, there's another metagame where Ubers are allowed.

I think this is the current list of Pokemon tiers, if you're interested.

[Edit]: Ninja'd by Lurk by about a year. I'm still going to post it though, because I don't want to waste my words. :P