Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341790 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #1545 on: February 23, 2008, 04:52:53 am »
I beat the game for the second time 2 days ago (since I lost my old save) and I got a complete guide on shiny chaining, since the guide recommended for me to start with easy ones and I went for a shiny starly, I managed to get a chain of 14 starlys and then a freaking son of a bi...barel (aka bidoof) breaks my chain, I've tried this 5 times so far and the 15th pokemon is always a bidoof that breaks my chain...

Here's what I'm doing:

- Get onto a patch of grass with good visibility.
- Use the radar.
- Move to one style of grass (usually the ones where the white/yellow "things" come out)
- KO the opponent.
- The grass will move again and I walk to the one with the same style using this grid as a guide:

X444X444X
X321U123X
X444X444X

Where X will break the chain, 4 is highest proability of keeping the chain and 1 is less. U is you.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, for me to get a shiny is the grass supposed to sparkle after a chain of 40? or will it sometimes sparkle before 40?
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: February 23, 2008, 05:45:06 am »
It can sometimes sparkle before forty, although the odds of getting a shiny won't yet be maximised.

Actually, I run into trouble around the 15 mark too, although I was hunting for Cubones and other swarming pokemon.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: February 24, 2008, 03:37:22 am »
Make sure you can see all the patches, and always go in the same style of patch.

If you're a lucky bast...iodon, you might get a shiny patch as your first and chain some shinies.

Of course, you could nolife it too.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: February 24, 2008, 07:59:33 am »
OK, New Pokemon for Mr. C's Team, as he has a match coming up and wants a new secret.

It shall be a Lickilicky, of all things.

I plan to use the following moves:

Gyro Ball
Counter
Curse (Possibility)
OTHER MOVE.

My basic idea is simply for Likcilicky to serve as part-tank, who should deal with unprepared sweepers. Gyro Ball should kill off speedy pests, like Alakazam, whilst I can rely on Counter to deal with stockier, physical opponents. All EVs to go in defence and HP to keep me alive through one hit to finish the opponent off. My Alakazam may be able to set up with Trick Room, which will serve Lickilicky well, as he can hit first with Gyro Ball and still do decent damage, aswell as possibly heal himself and the like. This would also serve well because it Lickilicky does some damage then explodes, I can do further damage with Snorlax.

Move tips?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06:08 am »
If you use Curse, Trick room and Gyro ball are must-haves, as Curse ups Gyro's power by slowing lickylilly down and adding Att points.

Don't forget to breed lickilly to have a speed damaging nature + an IV that turns its speed in utter crap.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: February 24, 2008, 08:14:07 am »
Trick Room on Alakazam?

LOLWHAT

Seriously, don't do that. Use Slowbro or Bronzong or something.
Not a winner anymore.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: February 24, 2008, 08:23:41 am »
Trick Room on Alakazam for Snorlax, not for Alakazam. I generally use it to set up for Snorlax.

I've also realised I can't have Counter; I'd have to bring over a Lickilicky from another game. Cancel that idea.

So...

Gyro Ball
Curse
Explosion (?)
Me First

Use Curse for awhile, hit speedy people with Gyro Ball, possibly strike at Ghosts with Me First (It uses thier move against them? Have I understood this right?) if they've been sent out to 'wall' my Normalness or avoid my explosion... Keep on fighting with Curse's defences until I start to drift to having little HP, then finish with an Explosion and take someone down with me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:00:57 am by Mr. Consideration »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: February 24, 2008, 10:13:07 am »
3rd day of chaining and still no shinies. Anyways, is there a way to increase the contest stats (beauty, coolness, etc) other than giving the pokemon poffins? cause my infernape is full :P

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: February 24, 2008, 12:48:34 pm »
Trick Room on Alakazam for Snorlax, not for Alakazam. I generally use it to set up for Snorlax.

Alakazam is a glass cannon, it doesn't have time to set up utility moves. If your opponent does anything except switch out on the turn you use Trick Room, all you get is a dead Alakazam.

Me First won't work very well. I think you need to be faster to start with, but if not, it'll still never hit a ghost super-effective. Gyro Ball works on ghosts except Dusknoir and Spiritomb, and I can't imagine them doing anything particularly helpful if you me-first them, aside from possibly Will-o-Wisp.

You can hit them with Earthquake, or use Return for more power against other things.
Not a winner anymore.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: February 24, 2008, 12:52:25 pm »
So drop Me First for something more practical like Earthquake, or some other mundane high-damage attack?

I've been considering dropping Trick Room from Alakazam for a long time, but have deliberated over the choice simply because I was never sure what to replace it with. Focus Blast's accuracy puts me off, and thats what everyone seems eager to put forward. Perhaps Shadow Ball?

EDIT: Looking over the List, Charge Beam Seems Viable (although I already cover Waters with Energy Ball).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:56:58 pm by Mr. Consideration »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: February 24, 2008, 12:59:27 pm »
Shadow Ball, Energy Ball and Grass Knot are good options, though Focus Blast certainly has its merits.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: February 24, 2008, 01:19:22 pm »
Is false swipe the only move that leaves the opponent with 1HP? I'm trying to raise a pokemon only for capturing others (with an abbility to stop them from running away, mwuhahaha), it would also be nice to have a move to stop pokemon from self destructing :x

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: February 25, 2008, 03:04:21 am »
If you using lickylicky.

-Curse
-Return/Trick room
-Gyro Ball
-Wish/Earthquake

Obviously Curse to lower speed and max gyro also get a nice defence buff (and attack). Return is a good normal type attack Wish for recovering HP for your self or even Team mates or you can just quake them with your buffed attack.

Offline Oberic

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: February 25, 2008, 05:26:55 am »
Darkdragon, I'll try to help a bit if I can, you did allow me to see the new spore videos after all :P

First, buy a lot of super repels, I would say, maybe 995, 999 just to be safe.. (ok thats too extreme, just, get a lot of them.) Because if you DO get to 40, it can sometimes still take a long time refreshing the radar to get a shiny (watch your step.), It is possible, to get more than one shiny in a chain. Most I've got is 3, but I tried for a fourth just.. because... Until it got annoying boring.

You're doing the pattern right, dunno why you can't get past 14.. I tend to be able to get to 40 now a lot more.. Hmm.. I would say, try bigger grass patch yet? Or I might say, Determination is key, don't give up, it only takes time.. Sometimes a LOT*.  Yeah, they can appear early in the chain.. VERY early.

Don't forget, if you DO get the chain to 40, you CAN get

Psyduck family, Poliwag family, and Wooper family can have damp, get one of them if you plan on catching an exploder, but don't have enough master balls to waste.

False swipe is the best move for catching.. Anything.. Except ghosts and super-hard pokémon like steel and rock, but still a lot safer than getting a critical hit and wasting a shiny (I hope this never happens to anyone, ever.)
~~~ Use Serebii.net and maybe you can find something you can get that can use both False Swipe and Odor Sleuth/Foresight :o ~~~

I got my Gastrodon before I knew the 40-chain secrets and the distance to walk secrets, but the shiny tile appeared at a chain of 3 gastrodons, I was only trying to level up. Oh, and when I was hunting for my ponyta for.. days, it happened at 33 of the chain, yeah, I'm real lucky with the number 3.... weird.
Pokéradar rocks, Got myself 3 Shiny Shinx (siblings get the spares as gifts.), 2 Shiny Electrike (spare to trade with a sibling, whoever gets a spare shiny first.), 1 Shiny Buneary (proud of this one, it appeared on like, 10-11 of the chain 8)),
* and FINALLY got that Murkrow. It took well over (atleast) 120 Super Repels. and like 2 or 3 hours! It just would not appear after I got the chain to 40! ARGH!..!!..!!!!1!!!1!1Eleven!!11!!!!! :P  Named it "Cello".. yeah.

Oh, and several "LOL"s dotted here and there, would look too sloppy if I put 'em up there.

There isn't any easy way to get shiny water Fish pokémon right? (So far I've got one shiny fish, my Sharpedo.)

Never give up, never surrender! oh.. 4:22 AM here.. Sorry for making so many words in one white-grey-ish box. Hope something was useful or inspiring or what-bloody-ever.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 05:28:51 am by Oberic »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: February 25, 2008, 05:39:26 am »

~~~ Use veekun.com and maybe you can find something you can get that can use both False Swipe and Odor Sleuth/Foresight :o ~~~

Fixed.

Farfetch'd and Sneasel can. You have to breed foresight onto them both, though.
Not a winner anymore.