Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341120 times)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #1515 on: February 11, 2008, 03:34:21 pm »
Currently I'm farming for Dittos trying to find them with a variety of personalities or what ever they are to make breeding a bit less random with trying to find a baby with both good IVs and a good personality which seems nightmare-ishly hard.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 12, 2008, 01:31:54 am »
Update, I caught my Miltank and for once had a stroke of good luck; the first Miltank I bred has a perfect nature and ability. I've taught it return and I'll start training it once all my other Pokemon are at level 100. I'm keeping it with me, holding a Soothe Bell with a massage every day to make it's Return attack powerful.

Oh, and I finally got into the Ribbon Syndicate.
To quote Pokemon, 'DISAPPOINTMENT.'

Try catching a Tauros on Pearl. >:(

I'm pretty sure it's the same crappy 2% chance.

Speaking of which, out of curiousity, if I bred a Miltank with a Tauros, what species would the baby be?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 12, 2008, 03:09:50 am »
Miltank.

Where do you catch a Miltank in D/P?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 12, 2008, 04:18:00 am »
Miltank.

Where do you catch a Miltank in D/P?

Use the Pokeradar in the grass north of Solaceon Town. I caught mine beyond the cafe, where the Psyducks were, just shy of the misty area.

Depending on which game you have, Tauros is more common (Diamond) or Miltank is more common (Pearl). If you have the 'wrong' game, get ready for a long catching trip.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 12, 2008, 03:00:08 pm »
What are some people recomendations for physical sweepers? I dont want to grab anything too common I'd rather focus on good pokemon that people aren't going to completely suspect and have teams built to destroy. Seeing I was looking at my team and it is very Special sweeper heavy with pretty much half my team capable of performing a special sweeper role even the ones not designed as sweepers could pull it off to a small extent.

I'm thinking something that might be good for a blissy counter as they seem to be common as muck. I generally have something to deal with most other issues and although one pokemon on my team might cause Blissy some trouble in the end a team set to resist sp attacks will give me a hard time.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 12, 2008, 03:49:06 pm »
I personally opt for Scizor. People don't expect it, and it's resitant to a huge amount of things, It has Super Effective STAB to Psychic, Rock....It has decent Speed, Attack, and Defence. The big downer is it's 4x Weakness to fire, however, this is it's only weakness.

My other one is an attack-Electavire. With Brick Break, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch and Giga Impact I have awesome type coverage. The major problem with this is the easy avaliability of Earthquakes, which have a nasty effect on poor Electavire. Luring electric attacks to take advantage of Motor Drive seldom works, as people (well, me) have a tendency to see it coming. (How often do you switch Staraptor into Jolteon?)

Whilst these are still OU/BL, I find they're alot less obvious than the usual Garchomp/Salamence.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:53:19 pm by Mr. Consideration »

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: February 12, 2008, 04:53:27 pm »
Thanx I was thinking something along a Syther/Scizor maybe a heracross althogh even hera can be a bit more common Scizor seems like I might try it. The only draw back is I believe I need to get my wifi going again to get the evolution. Still i think I may be able to better fill some of the holes in my team plus i got fire types pretty well covered so even if Scizor goes down the fire type wont last much longer.

Still I think in the end that still gives me roomfor one last pokemon possibly should start looking into a P/Hazer.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 13, 2008, 12:34:28 am »
I have a question. I never worried about this whilst EV training my other Pokemon because I assumed not.

When Pokemon gain EVs, then level up without enough to gain a stat point, do the EVs 'carry over' to the next level? Because if they do, and I give my Pokemon an Experience Share, they would accumulate 'bad' stats.

I'd like to train the Pokemon quickly to level 20-ish so it can start it's EV training. I'm not overly worried (I could always use the EXP Share and then fight Pokemon that boost attack anyway, just in case.)

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 13, 2008, 02:24:56 am »
What you can do is 1st put the exp share on the poke you are EV training then use a Pokemon with maxed EVs (one of the pokes you used to finish the story line should be perfectly fine) If you are training say speed stats have the high level fight the pokemon while your poke in training will gain then EV via the XP share. When the Poke being trained is high enough you can switch it to 1st in the party and give it the Macho brace to speed the process up.

Also if you have any other Pokemon you want to train in speed you can put them in your party with the exp share. I can't remember if the macho brace boost is shared via exp share but it still faster to be training 2 poke at once instead of just one. If you do end up accidently giving a pokemon a wrong point of EV there is an easy undo. There are various berries which remove EVs for each stat. You should be able to do a quick search to find out which berries remove which stats.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 13, 2008, 05:06:38 am »
Get the Power {Thing} items from Battle Tower, they work much faster than the Macho Brace. I don't know how I ever did without them.

Hariyama can Whirlwind and throw massive Cross Chops around as well as walling flamethrowers and ice beams with Thick Fat. Fun times, especially since he can survive and Counter back a physical attack for a surprise KO. Possible pseudohazer/wall with some offensive capability, that isn't OU like its fellow whirlwinder, Skarmory.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: February 13, 2008, 03:17:46 pm »
Of course the irony being that you need to get a team trained to compete in the battle tower to get the items which increase your ability to train. To be honest what points I am earing in BT I'm savings to get the TMs that I can use on my team of 6. Then again I need to do a bit of an over haul on my 3x3 team as i can't beat the battle master with this team. They currently sweep a lot of teams just run into trouble on his Dragonite.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: February 14, 2008, 05:27:57 am »
Does no member of your team have Ice Beam? That should OHKO Dragonite every time, from pretty much anything that can carry it.

He's harder the second time, with Cresselia, Heatran and the other thing, which I forget (Garchomp?). Still, I managed to beat him and keep going until I ran into Drifloon Destiny Bond ****ING HAX.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:29:42 am by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 14, 2008, 03:22:49 pm »
Yeah my Lanturn has ice beam but Lanturn is slower than draginite and gets OHKO'd. Basically if I have Lanturn on as my lead I can typically take care of Miltotic and Rhyperier no worries at worst I have a Medicham which can brick break Rhyperier as well. Dragintite even if I beat him devastates my team that I can't beat the rest. Typically Flygon is my lead as he sweeps most of my opponents. Draginite he can almost beat (he does better than lanturn). If I built him better he might win.

My 3x3 team was bult back on my ruby copy i didn't breed them I just caught about 6 of each species and used the best of each. Plus it was my 1st competitive team it has many flaws I can't remember where I place my EVs for everything alot of it would have been special and speed for most of them. Dragon claw isn't as effective as it could be on my flygon.

In the end a major over haul is in order I'm thinking maybe putting in a ton of OUs for my 3x3 I got a box filled with Bagons that I bred for trading then maybe a swampert for ice beaming and earthquaking, I havent decided on the last but probably a massive wall.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 14, 2008, 03:41:43 pm »
I had a pain in the ass loss against The Tower Tycoon.

My lead was Electavire, who I switched out for obvious reasons, to Alakazam. Alakazam was then frozen by Ice Beam (What are the chances?) So I had to use Scizor, who killed Rhyperior but was OHKO'd by Milotic. I sent out Electavire, who beat Milotic in one thunder punch, the lost ot Dragonite. Dragonite the smushed Alakazam before it unfroze.

Infuriating.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 14, 2008, 04:11:50 pm »
The first fight with the TT is pretty easy for me. Both my Porygon-Z and Milotic pack Ice Beam, and my Milotic wins the mirror match with Toxic. Usually I don't even need to deploy Garchomp, since it's kind of hard to lose too many pokemon to someone who has a Rhyperior with Ice Beam.

The second round (Fight 49) was tougher, but I can barely remember how it went. I couldn't remember his third pokemon because it was so rubbish compared to his other two, it's Regigigas, worst legendary ever.

I kept going for a while before getting killed off by Focus Blast Raichu, a piece of cannon fodder that I can't even remember, and Drifloon Destiny Bond (somehow, it was faster than Garchomp,) even though the Destiny Bonding Drifloon was their last pokemon. And thats the story of my best run so far in Battle Tower.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:38:07 am by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.