Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341312 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #555 on: January 12, 2007, 05:53:32 am »
Don't forget whirlpool. Crappy, crappy whirlpool.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #556 on: January 12, 2007, 08:14:24 pm »
I believe I read somewhere they downgraded an HM to a TM in D/P. Couldn't find which one though.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 13, 2007, 12:05:55 am »
u would think if the move was nessicary they would make kick so much arse.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 13, 2007, 12:10:28 am »
I believe I read somewhere they downgraded an HM to a TM in D/P. Couldn't find which one though.

Flash, I think. Replaced by Fog Clear.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 13, 2007, 01:10:02 am »
I really wish they would get rid of HM's alltogether. 

They're a very annoying way to stop the player progressing too far too soon.  Having to drag around a bunch of Pokemon you don't want to use, or even like most of the time, just so you can use certain HM's is just unnecessary.  Couldn't the same thing be achieved by giving players items, like a torch to light up caves, etc?

In my opinion, HM's really take away the enjoyability of playing through the games, because you can't just use which ever Pokemon you want.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 13, 2007, 08:47:58 am »
I really wish they would get rid of HM's alltogether. 

They're a very annoying way to stop the player progressing too far too soon.  Having to drag around a bunch of Pokemon you don't want to use, or even like most of the time, just so you can use certain HM's is just unnecessary.  Couldn't the same thing be achieved by giving players items, like a torch to light up caves, etc?

In my opinion, HM's really take away the enjoyability of playing through the games, because you can't just use which ever Pokemon you want.
I agree. But Game Freak seem to have a serious aversion for recognising the faults in their games.

The EV system apparently hasn't been reworked at all, for instance.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #561 on: January 13, 2007, 11:23:47 am »
The EV system apparently hasn't been reworked at all, for instance.

EV system?

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 13, 2007, 12:37:58 pm »
The most unintuitive game mechanic ever to be in any video game ever.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 13, 2007, 08:08:04 pm »
EV's aren't that bad it was just they were ment to be hidden values no one knew about giving a slight randomness to stat levels Gamefreak just didn't account for people pouring over every last code of pokemon for the best advantage on battling and finding how to make pokemon reach full potential.

Offline Potetoe

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 13, 2007, 11:48:03 pm »
I've never bothered with EV's or IV's or things like that, personally. I just raise whatever pokemon whose aesthetic appeals to me. My level 100's consisted of pokemon like Pichu, Vaporeon (Who was my first, and from the very first pokemon game I had- the only one where I used my real name as my player name.) and Houndoom. I never evolved my Naetle in Diamond. I don't like it's evolutions that much. I spent most of the game raising my Korinku, who I wish I kept on its second stage. The third evolution of it is kinda ugly. :-\

I plan on getting Pearl when it's released in the states. I almost wonder if I'll buy it immediatly or not though, because I haven't really been playing Pokemon as much as I used to for some reason. I guess I've just played it so long it's gotten a little old... From what I remember, Red was the first quote on quote 'videogame' I ever played. But that might have been Spyro. I don't remember.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 14, 2007, 12:55:39 am »
EV's aren't that bad it was just they were ment to be hidden values no one knew about giving a slight randomness to stat levels Gamefreak just didn't account for people pouring over every last code of pokemon for the best advantage on battling and finding how to make pokemon reach full potential.
Yes, but people figured out that they were there ages ago, and since Ruby and Sappire there's now a cap on the number of EVs you get (and there are now certain items etc in the games that directly influence your EVs and that require you to know about EVs to make proper use of).

If EVs were still supposed to be a hidden system they wouldn't have added things like the Macho Brace and if they were thinking logically, they wouldn't have placed that cap on EVs, which basically means that people who DO know about EVs are now at a huge advantage over those that don't. In Gold and Silver, you'd most likely have maxed out your EVs in all stats by the time you'd reached level 100 anyway, even if you didn't know they were there.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 14, 2007, 01:12:05 am »
The EV system is another part of the game I completely hate.  I can't believe anyone in the world has enough time on their hands to train one Pokemon against five hundred Pidgeys, just to get a few extra stat points.  But indeed, the people who are sad enough to go to that much effort, have a massive advantage against those who don't.

It has to be the most broken system ever put into the game, but once again, Gamefreak refuse to even acknowlegde that there's anything even remotely wrong with their games.  And the fanboys will defend the game to their death.

Next time they need to pull a Final Fantasy XII and just give the game a massive make over.  To hell with the fanboys.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 14, 2007, 01:31:59 am »
I don't think there's any way that will happen, sadly. I lost all hope for innovation when it was revealed that those Dark/Fighting/Psychic starters were fakes (and that the real starters looked completely stupid by comparison). Actually, I lost most hope then. I lost the rest when I saw how little work had been put into Pokemon Battle Revolution.

There are still fishermen with 6 Magikarp in this game.

Game Freak knows that their target audience doesn't care that they're just rehashing the same game over and over again. Most of the kids who'll get this game weren't even around to play Gold and Silver. There's absolutely no reason for Game Freak to ever push the envelope when they could very well staple a dead animal to a box labeled "Pokemon" and it would still sell millions of copies.

Love is over.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 14, 2007, 04:02:29 am »
I wish they would push some more originality into their games.

Eight Gyms.
Elite Four (Of which there are never actually four of.)
A caring mother
The starter town being named after a sort of sapling plant
The professor named after a tree
Legendary Pokemon
An evil team with tacky names.

And plenty more similarities.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 14, 2007, 04:39:17 am »
I wish they would push some more originality into their games.

Eight Gyms.
Elite Four (Of which there are never actually four of.)
A caring mother
The starter town being named after a sort of sapling plant
The professor named after a tree
Legendary Pokemon
An evil team with tacky names.

And plenty more similarities.
Yeah, in the fifth generation, they should have it that the main character is a 16-year-old kid whose alcoholic single mother is having a clandestine affair with the local Pokemon authority, Professor Bob (I still think that there was something going on between Ash's Mom and Prof. Oak, but that's another story). Little does our hero know that Bob is actually a member of the Yakuza, who fill the Team Rocket position for this game, and that the entire Pokemon League is being run by them behind the scenes.

Eventually, you'll find out about Bob's involvement with both the Yakuza AND your mother, and you'll shoot him dead in a fit of self-righteous rage, right in front of your mother's eyes. In tears, she tells you to leave town before she calls the cops on you, and you steal a ball from Bob's Pokeball belt, containing one of the three starters (because some traditions must remain intact) and flee. Throughout the game, you'll be given the choice of taking bribes from Yakuza members to lose Pokemon battles, and as you progress through the league and become more of a threat you'll have to battle against Yakuza hitmen who use Pokemon other than Zubat, as well as the police who are trying to hunt you down for the murder of Professor Bob.

On arriving at the league, you'll actually have to battle OTHER qualifying trainers before the Elite 4, because somehow more than one person (!) managed to beat the gyms and qualify for the League this time. Oh, and there'll be spectators and news crews too. Basically, the Pokemon League will be more than just five big empty rooms at the end of a cave filled with stationary trainers whose only ambition is to stop you and piss you off without ever actually reaching the League themselves.

If and when you finally beat the Pokemon League, the game won't end, because your guy will realise that it's a hollow victory - the entire sport of Pokemon battling is corrupt, so to put an end to it, you join the Japanese police and attempt to hunt down the crime lords. During this post-game Gold-and-Silver's-Kanto-equivalent portion of the game, you pistol-whip pimps and drug dealers until you've finally worked your way up to the top of Japan's leading crime syndicate, AND BECOME A POKEMON MASTER.