Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341770 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #540 on: January 11, 2007, 07:09:28 am »
Cool. I heard that bred pokemon tend to have higher stats. Is that true, and if so, is it worth the effort?

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:04 am »
When you get to the end of the game and get to the final area, theres a relatively rare rock/dark type pokemon whose name escapes me at the moment. Catch one, it'll eventually evolve intoa Tyranitar, which is totally kickass.
Yeah, Larvitar.

Cool. I heard that bred pokemon tend to have higher stats. Is that true, and if so, is it worth the effort?
Sort of, and no.

When you breed Pokemon, the offspring will inherit two stats (I think it's two) from each parent, the other ones being randomised. What you want to do to get really high stats is breed something with a perfect score in one or more stats and wait until it passes on those scores to a child that randomly ends up with its other stats high, then switch it out and have the stronger child breed, and on and on until you get something with really good stats.

Unless you're really interested in playing against anorak players, this really isn't worth your time, especially in Gold where the difference between the maximum and minimum potential scores in a given stat is much lower than it is in the more recent games. Breeding is only really useful for getting certain moves onto a Pokemon that it couldn't normally learn.

Yeah, Pokemon is a surprisingly complicated game...

Pokemon: Battle Revolution looks so cool. But I vowed never to buy any more Pokemon games.....

It's so shiny....
I think it looks lame. A lot more effort was put into the Stadium titles.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #542 on: January 11, 2007, 04:58:30 pm »

Indeed. I first got the Blue version when I was 8. All I knew about making a good team was having high level and that was the only factor I based my party on. Pretty much my party contained of my starter and legendarys. And that's not necessarily a good team.

When I got into Gold, I looked more at about which moves and stats of pokemon. and when I got Sapphire I really got into the which pokemon had better stats and moves and would use my starter quite little compared to others.

In Spring I'll get Pearl. It'll be interesting.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 11, 2007, 05:50:35 pm »

Indeed. I first got the Blue version when I was 8. All I knew about making a good team was having high level and that was the only factor I based my party on. Pretty much my party contained of my starter and legendarys. And that's not necessarily a good team.

When I got into Gold, I looked more at about which moves and stats of pokemon. and when I got Sapphire I really got into the which pokemon had better stats and moves and would use my starter quite little compared to others.
Basically the same with me. Except I was 11 when I got Blue. Bow before my 2 year superiority!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 11, 2007, 06:14:32 pm »
When i 1st got blue it was about pokemon type very little about stats but if a pokemon generally sucked obviously I didn't keep it. I mostly concentrated on keeping a balanced team of the different types. Although looked at stats when i got Poke stadium although that was mostly just boosting everything with vitamins. Never had gold or silver but with Ruby started out same but after a while I started looking more and more at stats especially for battle tower ever every point counts.

Usually the team i use for playing the game isn't trained to be the best they are just in because they don't suck and i can teach them the HMs i need to get around easy. Once I'm champ i work on finding a good competingi team although i only had one 2 player game. :P

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #545 on: January 11, 2007, 07:05:52 pm »
So which of D/P do you guys plan on getting.

As stated, I plan on getting Pearl.

Everyone I know is getting Diamond so I decided to be the one who got Pearl so everyone wants to trade with me.  :)

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 11, 2007, 08:19:35 pm »
Depends what is in store I guess if I see a million pearls and 1 diamond I'll get a pearl and vice versa also if I find out something about which ones are exclusive to which title might help me decide also.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #547 on: January 11, 2007, 08:26:22 pm »
Well, the legendary of Diamond Controls time

The Legendary of Pearl controls Space.

Can't remember which site shows the other exclusive to which game.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 11, 2007, 08:29:06 pm »
How much control over time are we talking?

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 11, 2007, 11:58:46 pm »
Third version: Opal. Believe it!

I'm getting Pearl, personally.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 12, 2007, 12:37:01 am »
Depends what is in store I guess if I see a million pearls and 1 diamond I'll get a pearl and vice versa also if I find out something about which ones are exclusive to which title might help me decide also.
http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/exclusives.shtml

If I end up getting D/P, I'll be picking Pearl since I already have most of the Diamond exclusives in my other games. I might hang on for the third game.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 12, 2007, 04:35:15 am »
Usually the team i use for playing the game isn't trained to be the best they are just in because they don't suck and i can teach them the HMs i need to get around easy.

Argh. HMs.  >:(

I mean, jeese, so now we have what? 7 moves that we must teach our Pokes to get around the overworld and through just about every dungeon and among those are totally duff moves like Cut and Rock Smash... and the only occasionally useful Flash (Savior of the Universe!).
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 12, 2007, 04:41:11 am »
You can teach every water type you get the best water-type move for free, thanks to HMs. They're not all bad.

Rock smash is, though. Ew.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 12, 2007, 04:43:51 am »
You can teach every water type you get the best water-type move for free, thanks to HMs.

Except that it now works like earthquake and hits your ally too.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 12, 2007, 04:46:32 am »
Makes Vaporeon/Quagsire/Ludicolo more useful, but then you need to send out a second water type. Hmm.

Or you could just stick to using it in single battles, I suppose.
Not a winner anymore.